KC's DT Glenn Dorsey and other player personnel may not be

Ugh - this run of teams switching to the 3-4 is going to result in some very notable failures. Admittedly, it's not like the Chiefs had such a great defense that it should have been preserved, but spending extra effort changing schemes really rarely seems worth it to me. When you take over a team, look at your talent, look at UFA talent, look at talent you can trade for, and look at the draft. Then decide what scheme best fits that set of players.

Rather than deciding on a scheme because it's popular, and then butchering your roster to make it fit. Sound familiar?

Mike Tomlin is a Cover-2 guy originally, in Tampa and in Minnesota, and then, remarkably, he went to Pittsburgh, retained Dick LeBeau, ran a 3-4, and won the Super Bowl. It wasn't the magic of the 3-4, it was a team that was built to run the 3-4 really well.

Ugh - this run of teams switching to the 3-4 is going to result in some very notable failures. Admittedly, it's not like the Chiefs had such a great defense that it should have been preserved, but spending extra effort changing schemes really rarely seems worth it to me. When you take over a team, look at your talent, look at UFA talent, look at talent you can trade for, and look at the draft. Then decide what scheme best fits that set of players.

Rather than deciding on a scheme because it's popular, and then butchering your roster to make it fit. Sound familiar?

Mike Tomlin is a Cover-2 guy originally, in Tampa and in Minnesota, and then, remarkably, he went to Pittsburgh, retained Dick LeBeau, ran a 3-4, and won the Super Bowl. It wasn't the magic of the 3-4, it was a team that was built to run the 3-4 really well.

You know I have been thinking about this lately and maybe, just maybe the Bills are on the right track here. I think I am correct they will be the only 4-3 team in the divison yes?One of the few left in the conference? Maybe this gives them an advantage now??

You know I have been thinking about this lately and maybe, just maybe the Bills are on the right track here. I think I am correct they will be the only 4-3 team in the divison yes?One of the few left in the conference? Maybe this gives them an advantage now??

Woot! We're so behind the times that we're back to being on the cutting edge!

Thats exactly my thinking. Teams will spend most weeks game planning for the 3-4.

maybe they'll forget about the quick slants that killed our defense last year... and hopefully their qb's will forget they have forever to throw

It's interesting to see how Pioli and Haley resolve this situation. I expect them to sooner or later to purge a portion of the players in a trade(s) that Herm Edwards was assembling in Kansas City.

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playernew...41728&rwr=1

http://www.kansascity.com/sports/chiefs/story/1106883.html

Would anyone be willing to trade our 2010 1st rd draft pick for Dorsey? Just asking.

If Pioli makes any fair trades to an AFCE team I'd be shocked. He's not gonna help a team who plays against his lover BB. JMO

I loved Dorsey coming out. But this is why having systems is dumb. Adjust your systems to your players. Find a good player and find a way to use them to their strengths. Coaches over think things too much. But KC would be braindead to trade Dorsey after one year.

So are you saying the Bills should start a system and then draft a guy to go to another system and then maybe draft another player and change again? Consistency is the most important thing. A team shouldn't just change schemes willy nilly for a draft pick. IMO, that's an idiotic way to run a railroad.

What he said.

It does in drafting, IMO. So many teams are drafting guys that fit the 3-4 that teams playing the 4-3 have more guys that fit their system to choose from. At the top of the draft some teams will ignore fit for the best player but definitely the later rounds are for fit and that's where 4-3 teams can make out. JMO.