Peter King's recent MMQB on overtime

The "lightning" round

Overtime IS statistically unfair but the college method, while exciting, could wreak havoc with TV coverage (early games overlapping late games, late games disrupting primetime broadcasts, etc). What's fair? Split the referees and each team starts with the ball on the opponent's 30. 3 downs for a 1st (no punts). First team to score wins. No first down in 3 tries? Then you have to hope your defense stops the opponent's offense. No Field goals. A turnover by your defense means your offense gets four downs to score a TD instead of three. No INTs or fumble returns for TD's. Broadcasters could split the screens or try to cover both on one screen (good luck). If neither team score a TD in the "lightning round" then coin flip and 10 minute overtime as is standard.

Refs would hate it. Fans would go NUTS. Talk about 'scoreboard watching". Each team would have to note the progress of the opponents at the other end of the field. If the other team get in the red zone, your own offense better get a little more urgent

My proposal does not take into account the advantage one team might have due to weather conditions (wind in particular).

-RichNJoisy

Wow, that's a complicated and fan-unfriendly solution to a minor problem. The NFL isn't a three-ring circus - one set of action at time, please.

Look for a simple solution instead of a complex one: ban field goals in overtime and keep sudden death; keep play continuous instead of stopping for a coin flip at the end of the 4th quarter, or just start sudden death after the first ten minutes of the game instead of immediately.

What if there's a fumble and the ball gets batted well behind the line of scrimmage? We have one play interfering with the other end of the field.

Or if penalties move the offense back 15-20 yards: won't there be a danger of each side overlapping or sharing the same area of the field?

Unique concept, but it sounds confusing to me.

What if there's a fumble and the ball gets batted well behind the line of scrimmage? We have one play interfering with the other end of the field.

Or if penalties move the offense back 15-20 yards: won't there be a danger of each side overlapping or sharing the same area of the field?

Unique concept, but it sounds confusing to me.

Why not just make overtime one 15 minute quarter? Or even a shortened quarter, like basketball? There'd be far more ties I guess.

I tihnk the current overtime process is dumb. I tihnk college overtime would be more dumb. And I think the suggestion earlier would be the dumbest of them all. No offense, I just felt like using the word dumb (not really dumb but I just dislike them).

Like stated, I think the solution is really simple. Have a 10 minute quarter played as normal with both teams getting 2 timeouts and a challenge. If it is tied at the end of the 10 minute quater, either play another quarter or go into sudden death.

The "lightning" round

Overtime IS statistically unfair but the college method, while exciting, could wreak havoc with TV coverage (early games overlapping late games, late games disrupting primetime broadcasts, etc). What's fair? Split the referees and each team starts with the ball on the opponent's 30. 3 downs for a 1st (no punts). First team to score wins. No first down in 3 tries? Then you have to hope your defense stops the opponent's offense. No Field goals. A turnover by your defense means your offense gets four downs to score a TD instead of three. No INTs or fumble returns for TD's. Broadcasters could split the screens or try to cover both on one screen (good luck). If neither team score a TD in the "lightning round" then coin flip and 10 minute overtime as is standard.

Refs would hate it. Fans would go NUTS. Talk about 'scoreboard watching". Each team would have to note the progress of the opponents at the other end of the field. If the other team get in the red zone, your own offense better get a little more urgent

My proposal does not take into account the advantage one team might have due to weather conditions (wind in particular).

-RichNJoisy

How much opium was Pete doing when he thought of this plan? I swear I was starting to hear the beginning of Jefferson Airplane's "White Rabbit" when I was reading this.

"Sudden Death", keep it the way it's always been so as not to ruin George Carlin's all-time classic Baseball vs Football routine.

I think they should just play the OT quarter like any regular quarter. 15:00 of time and both teams get at least one offensive possesion. If neither team scores on it's 1st possession then it becomes sudden death. Sounds very simple to me.

I think they should just play the OT quarter like any regular quarter. 15:00 of time and both teams get at least one offensive possesion. If neither team scores on it's 1st possession then it becomes sudden death. Sounds very simple to me.

Honestly, me too. I think the same thing should be done in hockey...full 4th period. You want motivation to play hard, and to coach aggressively, near the end of regulation?...that should do it.

Alas, the players will never approve it.

Maybe while all that is going on, you could launch rockets, have the cheerleaders mud wrestle on the sidelines, streakers, miniature ponies dancing, midgets being tossed, and 4 or 5 rings of MMA human rooster-fighting at the 50 yard line. We want people to be entertained after all. Squeeze it all in before the next 15 minute break for commercials. Get your popcorn ready!

i agree this is simple and fair

I would just eliminate OT altogether. That way both teams would try to win in regular play so that they don't end in a tie game. If the game ends in a tie then so be it. Both teams had 4 quarters to prevent a tie.

Not what the fans want, IMO. Pay for a game and get a tile? I hate that.

Not what the fans want, IMO. Pay for a game and get a tile? I hate that.

Ties happen in other sports and you don't see fans revolting.

Besides, I hate nothing more than a team scorng a TD late in the game and then they pu$$y out and kick a convert to tie (knowing they have OT) instead of going for 2 and the win. Eliminating OT would make the end of games much more exciting because you'd have teams going for wins.

Ties happen in other sports and you don't see fans revolting.

Besides, I hate nothing more than a team scorng a TD late in the game and then they pu$$y out and kick a convert to tie (knowing they have OT) instead of going for 2 and the win. Eliminating OT would make the end of games much more exciting because you'd have teams going for wins.

I agree with the bolded part.

But, what professional sports really have many ties, anymore? Not baseball, or basketball. Hockey goes through two different tie-breaking scenarios before they settle on a tie.

Hockey goes through two different tie-breaking scenarios before they settle on a tie.

Not any more, shootouts are for all the marbles, there's just that annoying "overtime loss" category.

So no ties in the NHL, NBA, MLB, NCAA(for football and basketball, anyway), or racing. What other sports to people watch?