NFL TO CELEBRATE 50th ANNIVERSARY SEASON OF AFL

Lori

NFL TO CELEBRATE 50th ANNIVERSARY SEASON OF AFL

The 2009 NFL season marks the 50th anniversary season for the eight original American Football League teams. Plans to celebrate the 50th season of the AFL clubs were announced today at the NFL Annual Meeting in Dana Point, CA.

The American Football League, which merged with the NFL in 1970, played its first season in 1960 with eight teams. The original eight AFL teams were the BUFFALO BILLS, DENVER BRONCOS, KANSAS CITY CHIEFS (played as the Dallas Texans), NEW ENGLAND PATRIOTS (played as the Boston Patriots), NEW YORK JETS (played as the Titans of New York), OAKLAND RAIDERS, SAN DIEGO CHARGERS, and TENNESSEE TITANS (played as the Houston Oilers).

The NFL will highlight the 50th anniversary during “Legacy Games” throughout the 2009 season. During one home and one road game, the eight original AFL teams will meet head-to-head while wearing their chosen historic uniforms.

On Monday night, September 14, ESPN will host a Monday Night Football doubleheader that will be part of the NFL’s celebration of the 50th anniversary season of the AFL. The four clubs competing that night began playing in the inaugural 1960 AFL season. The first game (7:00 PM ET) will send the Buffalo Bills to Foxboro to visit the New England Patriots, the decade’s winningest team (102-42 since 2000). The MNF nightcap (10:15 PM ET) will be an AFC West battle as the Oakland Raiders host the three-time defending division champ San Diego Chargers.

In addition, the Bills will take on the Tennessee Titans in the Pro Football Hall of Fame Game in Canton, Ohio on Sunday, August 9. The game will be televised nationally by NBC at 8:00 PM ET.

The NFL and clubs are planning to celebrate the 50th Anniversary Season with numerous events this year.

NFL NETWORK, NFL.COM and NFL FILMS will commemorate this anniversary with unique content and programming highlighting the history of the AFL and the original eight teams.

A “legacy” collection, featuring new retro-themed apparel and products, will be introduced this summer and will be available on NFLSHOP.COM and at other retail locations. Among the merchandise offered will be hats, t-shirts, sweatshirts, jackets and pennants.

Game-worn jerseys and signed memorabilia will be auctioned at NFL AUCTIONS throughout the season with the monies raised going to the NFL Player Care Foundation.

Below is a list of what each of the eight original AFL teams will wear as their historic uniforms:

Buffalo Bills

1965 AFL Championship season: White helmet featuring a simple red buffalo.

Denver Broncos

1960 season: Brown and yellow uniform; brown helmet.

Kansas City Chiefs (Dallas Texans)

(Played in Dallas 1960 – 62 before moving to Kansas City.)

1962 AFL Championship season: Red and white uniform; red helmet featuring an outline of the state of Texas.

New England Patriots (Boston Patriots)

1963 divisional championship season: White helmet featuring the original Patriot logo.

New York Jets (Titans of New York)

1961 season: Gold and navy uniforms; navy helmet.

Oakland Raiders

1963 season: White (away) jersey features silver numbers outlined in black; silver helmet with original Raiders logo.

San Diego Chargers

1963 AFL Championship season: White pants with yellow bolt down legs.

Tennessee Titans (Houston Oilers)

(Played in Houston 1960 – 96 before moving to Tennessee.)

1960 season: Blue and white jersey with red accents; blue helmet with derrick logo.

I'd like to think that the absence of any details about Buffalo's jerseys might mean the addition of a road throwback for the Pats MNF game, but have nothing to confirm that wish.

Thanks Lori. I read the article using my best Curt Gowdy voice for the first half, following it up with Charlie Jones...with a little bit of Al DeRogatis thrown in.

I wasn't born until VCRs were becoming popular, care to translate?

Hmmmmm ...... wonder if the Broncos will wear their throwback socks from '60 with the vertical stripes?

If memory serves me right I seem to remember the team hated those so much they held a meeting after the season, tied their socks to the goalpost and burned them.

I'd like to think that the absence of any details about Buffalo's jerseys might mean the addition of a road throwback for the Pats MNF game, but have nothing to confirm that wish.

The Pats will be wearing white jersey's and we will have our blue jersey's on. They had a press conference yesterday with all the AFL teams and what they will wear. I was hoping we came out with a white one also.

I wasn't born until VCRs were becoming popular, care to translate?

Gowdy and DeRogatis were the #1 game crew for NBC throughout the life of the AFL. Kurt's rich voice and Al's spot on analysis were as much a treasure as the play on the field. Pretty sure they did all league championship games as well.

Thanks Lori. I read the article using my best Curt Gowdy voice for the first half, following it up with Charlie Jones...with a little bit of Al DeRogatis thrown in.

Outstanding!

Great days. Great days indeed. Yeah, we sucked A LOT after the '64-'65 seasons, but I LOVED Gowdy, DeRogatis, and Jones. Classic AFL days.

Remember rooting hard for the Jets to win the SB? And KC the following year?

GO BILLS!!!

Lori, for whats it worth, they showed a clip of the owners and/or coaches meetings on NFL network total access last night/this morning with all the AFL owners holding the "legacy" jerseys their teams would be wearing. Jauron was holding our current blue throwback. Kraft was holding a white jersey with red/blue stripes on the shoulders.

Just found a link to that picture. I'm guessing we're going to be wearing our standard blue throwbacks in ne* on monday night.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d8...mp;confirm=true

Thanks, Ramius and Lou ... but boo, Bills. I wanted that white jersey. I'm digging the AFL 50 patch a lot better than the craptacular one the Bills came up with, though.

And since those stripey socks were part of Denver's 1960 uniforms, pasta, they SHOULD wear them (and earn the mockery of fans across the league). Think it was at the 50-yard line, not by the goalpost, but the tale of the burning ceremony is true.

And pk, I agree -- the Chargers' L.A. beginnings should have been noted. Puzzled why they weren't.

He was almost as creative as Denver's orange striped socks! :censored:

In 1960, I thought the Chargers were from LA. Brain feeze?

I will be wearing my 1962 Boosters Coat all winter.

I have a friend who was at the parade in Buffalo in 1959.

Outstanding!

Great days. Great days indeed. Yeah, we sucked A LOT after the '64-'65 seasons, but I LOVED Gowdy, DeRogatis, and Jones. Classic AFL days.

Remember rooting hard for the Jets to win the SB? And KC the following year?

GO BILLS!!!

I always thought DeRogatis was our punishment for sucking after 1966-67 season (we were the AFL East champs but missed what would have been Super Bowl I), but maybe that was just me.

Definitely rooted for the AFL against the NFL since they treated us like minor leagers. Love them or hate them, the Jets and Chiefs made the AFL/NFL series 2-2.

I used to want to puke when the Oilers sang that "Number One" song.

Remember when the clothesline was a legal hit? I wonder how many jaws Ben Davison broke?

Remember having a favorite AFL and NFL team? (Bills/Packers for me). Starr not Favre.... Bart was a team player.

Here you go Tom, sing loud, sing proud, get your hat on :censored:

I actually like these guys with Bum , Earl and The Snake. looked like a lot of fun... no puking just singing... remember the horses rolling into stadium, all the pom poms going.

I always thought DeRogatis was our punishment for sucking after 1966-67 season (we were the AFL East champs but missed what would have been Super Bowl I), but maybe that was just me.

Definitely rooted for the AFL against the NFL since they treated us like minor leagers. Love them or hate them, the Jets and Chiefs made the AFL/NFL series 2-2.

I used to want to puke when the Oilers sang that "Number One" song.

Remember when the clothesline was a legal hit? I wonder how many jaws Ben Davison broke?

Remember having a favorite AFL and NFL team? (Bills/Packers for me). Starr not Favre.... Bart was a team player.

Gowdy and DeRogatis were the #1 game crew for NBC throughout the life of the AFL. Kurt's rich voice and Al's spot on analysis were as much a treasure as the play on the field. Pretty sure they did all league championship games as well.

Actually . . . and you have to go back pretty far to remember this . . . the AFL started out on ABC before NBC signed the league in the mid-60's. Anyone else remember Chris Schenkel and former original AAFC Bill Paul Christman doing the games?

Didn't the original uniform have silver pants? :censored:

The original uniforms ripped off the Lions, silver helmets and all. The current throwbacks honor the 1965 AFL Championship team.