Rule changes

Beerball

link

Blindside helmet to helmet hits...understandable.

No more than 2 blockers in the wedge on kickoff returns. This one will hurt returns (read Bills).

No more than 5 players bunched going after an onsides kick. This one will hurt creative ST schemers (read Bills).

The brady* rule.

Outside of helmet to helmet (call this one the Ward rule?) block these changes suck.

link

No more than 2 blockers in the wedge on kickoff returns. This one will hurt returns (read Bills).

No more than 5 players bunched going after an onsides kick. This one will hurt creative ST schemers (read Bills).

The brady* rule.

Outside of helmet to helmet (call this one the Ward rule?) block these changes suck.

The American Idol television show wouldn't tolerate their stars getting injured and not able to show up and pump up the ratings.

Same with the NFL. And their idols have contracts.

There is no business like show business.

link

OK, now what do creative ST coaches devise? I understand the need to build in safety -think Mark Pike screamin' in on they Oiler during Christie's on-side KO in the Comeback. But only 5 guys on one side means the KR team can't afford to overload either. KO's & KR's are becoming much more important these days and there may well be new openings created by this.

I think the driving force behind these changes is to help ensure players can SURVIVE a couple more regular season games BEFORE they make the playoffs. For the longest time, rule changes were almost exclusive to aiding offense. Now they're more aimed at safety. I say just find a new way.

Football is a great sport. It has been for years. There are no need to these changes, or any changes for that matter. Who cares how many people are part of the wedge on the kick return? Thats how its been done since the invention of the kick off.

I hate the horse collar rule more than anything. One player in the history of football, TO, gets hurt from this type of tackle on a fluke play, now players basically cannot tackle a player from behind if they cannot catch them. Football is looking more and more like soccer every day.

How are they terrible? I applaud the fact that the NFL is trying its hardest to eliminate all ouchies and boo-boos. I'm just disappointed that they didn't take my suggestion to wrap all players in a 3-foot thick layer of down pillows.

Sorry no. NFLPA does not allow it. Some players are allergic to down. Will have to be chicken feathers.

The rules regarding the wedge could really hurt us. Bobby April really has his work cut out for him now. I predict the NFL will see kickoffs returned for TDs cut nearly in half this upcoming season.

Does this hurt or help Parrish's value?

I saw most of the changes, and generally speaking, I am against anything that sofetns the game,

and I detest the all out protection, sneeze on him and your srewed, provided the QB, but I thought

I saw something about banning the crack back blocks like that punk Hines Ward likes to do, where the

play is just about over, the opponent is focused elsewhere, the hit really does not have to be

delivered, and if will have no bearing on the result of the play, I always kinda of that that was playing

dirty, or right on the edge of dirty. I appluad that change.

link

The brady* rule.

These fuggin changes SUCK!!!!! :thumbsup: Just keep watering down the product you're putting out NFL, before long we'll have nothing more than glorified flag football.

Will there be participation trophies and orange wedges and Capri Suns at half time for the players?

These fuggin changes SUCK!!!!! :thumbsup: Just keep watering down the product you're putting out NFL, before long we'll have nothing more than glorified flag football.

Will there be participation trophies and orange wedges and Capri Suns at half time for the players?

Well, I'll comment on Ward's hit on Rivers.

Rivers was well out of the play, and Ward swooped in high, and broke his jaw. I guess an argument would be, that Rivers should have looked around.

IMO, it was a cheap shot by Ward. He could have gone low, and would have accomplished the same thing - taking out a player who was in no position to affect the play.

Think back about Warren Sapp nailing GB OL Clifton, several years back.

The NFL, and players (I believe), feel that such hits go against basic principles of good sportsmanship. If Rivers was an instant from making a tackle - fine. But that wasn't the case.

The result of Ward's shot was that a promising rookie lost the rest of his season. And when starters go down, the competitiveness between teams that we like to see, gets diminished. I realize that a win is a win, but chalking up victories against heavily-injured clubs comes back. Witness the Bills' 5 - 1 start, when they faced off against some teams with severe OL problems and/or clubhouse mayhem. Facing clubs more or less intact, with some injury problems of their own - 2 and 8.

Well, I'll comment on Ward's hit on Rivers.

Rivers was well out of the play, and Ward swooped in high, and broke his jaw. I guess an argument would be, that Rivers should have looked around.

IMO, it was a cheap shot by Ward. He could have gone low, and would have accomplished the same thing - taking out a player who was in no position to affect the play.

Think back about Warren Sapp nailing GB OL Clifton, several years back.

The NFL, and players (I believe), feel that such hits go against basic principles of good sportsmanship. If Rivers was an instant from making a tackle - fine. But that wasn't the case.

The result of Ward's shot was that a promising rookie lost the rest of his season. And when starters go down, the competitiveness between teams that we like to see, gets diminished. I realize that a win is a win, but chalking up victories against heavily-injured clubs comes back. Witness the Bills' 5 - 1 start, when they faced off against some teams with severe OL problems and/or clubhouse mayhem. Facing clubs more or less intact, with some injury problems of their own - 2 and 8.

It was a cheap shot by ward, but he's known for being a scumbag POS when it comes to his "blocks." The guy has a history of "lighting up" defenders who are away from the play or aren't looking. And i agree. Big hits happen, but legal "blocks" such as the hits delivered by Sapp and Ward are cheap and unnecessary. Hopefully Rivers will return the favor this season and knock ward out for the year.

The rules regarding the wedge could really hurt us. Bobby April really has his work cut out for him now. I predict the NFL will see kickoffs returned for TDs cut nearly in half this upcoming season.

Does this hurt or help Parrish's value?

I was about to ask this question. Thanks for taking it on. What does the Bills wedge scheme look like, anyway? Do you know that this is going to hurt, or are you (like me) guessing that it might?

As for Parrish, I didn't notice the rule changed for punts, so he might be fine.

It was a cheap shot by ward, but he's known for being a scumbag POS when it comes to his "blocks." The guy has a history of "lighting up" defenders who are away from the play or aren't looking. And i agree. Big hits happen, but legal "blocks" such as the hits delivered by Sapp and Ward are cheap and unnecessary. Hopefully Rivers will return the favor this season and knock ward out for the year.

I'd say Ward is known as an old-school, hard hitting football player. Cheap shot? I don't think so. Legal and tough. Ward just plays hard and until the whistle stops. I don't think he's a POS at all, in that respect. His hits always seem clean to me. I'd prefer they take care of the guys who play dirty, before going after clean tough players.

I'd say Ward is known as an old-school, hard hitting football player. Cheap shot? I don't think so. Legal and tough. Ward just plays hard and until the whistle stops. I don't think he's a POS at all, in that respect. His hits always seem clean to me. I'd prefer they take care of the guys who play dirty, before going after clean tough players.

On Rivers and on many other of his "blocks," Ward aims for the head. Sure they are "clean and legal" by the old NFL standards, but when you look at them, they are simply dirty. A huge block to de-cleat someone is one thing. Intentionally going for the opposing players head is something else. I also found it highly amusing that when they were reviewing the new rules on the NFL network, and showing hits that are now illegal, all 3 of their clips involved steeler player hits.

Here's the rivers block. Ward leads with the crown of his helmet, on a player looking the other way.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pec0phgsveY

Here's a ward hit on Ed Reed, where again, you see ward ead with the crown of his helmet into a defenders head.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4QGKlluCU0o...feature=related

I dont mind good solid hits. But head shots and legal "crackbacks" are highly unnecessary.

It was legal. Was it necessary to aid in stopping a ball carrier?