The "Suffering"

I'm of the opinion that folks who come into the country illegally forfeit many of their rights and should not share the same rewards as Americans who pay taxes and are here legally. However its a major problem that can't be solved by just exporting everybody, I think the process needs to be retooled and the folks who are here should have to go through some sort of process to gain citizenship or be deported if they refuse.

But this editorial in the Times is just nuts:

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/03/24/opinion/24tue3.html

"The Constitution’s bedrock protections do not apply to just the native-born. The suffering that illegal immigrants endure — from raids to workplace exploitation to mistreatment in detention — is a civil-rights crisis"

OK....even illegals shouldn't be mistreated in detention, that's obvious....but grouping that with raids at the workplace is a civil rights crisis?? Being paid less in cash and not paying taxes? You've got to be kidding me!!

These people are here illegally, they know what they are doing is breaking the law, and the government is addressing the illegal acts. How in the hell is that a civil rights crisis? That's like a drug dealer claiming that cops watching him and that he's getting less than market value for his drugs is a civil rights violation. Its absurd, if you're going to break the law you need to accept that you might have to suffer the consequences, and that has NOTHING to do with civil rights.

You know what is a civil-rights crisis? The plight of speeders in this country. Tens of millions of Americans regularly drive over the speed limit on highways - too many to lock up all at once. And the suffering they endure with the laws the way they are right now - constantly looking over their shoulder for cops while driving, the immoral profiling that exists on the I-95 corridor based on what car they are driving... All they want is to arrive at the American dream sooner - I bet some of your ancestors sped. Drivers should not have to live in fear when they are on the road. We need to change our laws to de-criminalize these peoples lifestyles.

The article references Prop 187, which represents the first real moment when government truly turned my stomach. Virtually 60% of Californians vote to prohibit the use of social services, public schools and health care by illegal aliens. (For those keeping track, it has been determined here that just under 53% is considered a mandate.) Federal courts overturn it. Newly elected Democratic governor doesn't appeal. Illegals get everything they want for free.

Still, I see the error of my ways now. We need to coddle them. We need to love them. Cuz they're doing jobs we won't do. Mandates be damned. :rolleyes:

Typical far-left(not Democrat) "All or nothing" reasoning. :rolleyes:

So:

If stripping illegals of ALL civil rights of US citizens is bad

then

granting illegals ALL civil rights of US Citizens is good. :(

Or:

We cannot give illegals NO civil rights, so, we must give them ALL civil rights. :doh: Funny how they choose to apply relativism whenever it's convenient, and not consistently.

Choosing to see illegals as humans, therefore entitled to human rights, but not citizens, therefore not entitled to US citizen rights, I believe is the absolutely correct position to take.

Far-left fools choose to see them as citizens of our country, with no effort on their part, and put them = to people who have followed the rules. This begs the question: why bother having the rules/laws then? Which begs the question: aren't we allowed to decide how our country works, and who gets to be here? What about our rights?

Again, I am not for calling 12 million people I don't know: criminals. I am for acknowledging the simple fact that they don't belong here, because they don't, and for treating them as such = yes, less than citizens, because they are less than citizens; a status they have put upon themselves by their own actions. That's only fair, equitable, and it is also the right thing to do for this country. I am all for giving them a path to rectify their situation based on demonstrable effort on their part in terms of work, education, and proving their loyalty.

Again, I am not for calling 12 million people I don't know: criminals. I am for acknowledging the simple fact that they don't belong here, because they don't, and for treating them as such = yes, less than citizens, because they are less than citizens; a status they have put upon themselves by their own actions. That's only fair, equitable, and it is also the right thing to do for this country. I am all for giving them a path to rectify their situation based on demonstrable effort on their part in terms of work, education, and proving their loyalty.
Holy crap...This might be the most sense anyone has ever made on this board..period. :nana:

I'm of the opinion that folks who come into the country illegally forfeit many of their rights and should not share the same rewards as Americans who pay taxes and are here legally. However its a major problem that can't be solved by just exporting everybody, I think the process needs to be retooled and the folks who are here should have to go through some sort of process to gain citizenship or be deported if they refuse.

But this editorial in the Times is just nuts:

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/03/24/opinion/24tue3.html

"The Constitution’s bedrock protections do not apply to just the native-born. The suffering that illegal immigrants endure — from raids to workplace exploitation to mistreatment in detention — is a civil-rights crisis"

OK....even illegals shouldn't be mistreated in detention, that's obvious....but grouping that with raids at the workplace is a civil rights crisis?? Being paid less in cash and not paying taxes? You've got to be kidding me!!

These people are here illegally, they know what they are doing is breaking the law, and the government is addressing the illegal acts. How in the hell is that a civil rights crisis? That's like a drug dealer claiming that cops watching him and that he's getting less than market value for his drugs is a civil rights violation. Its absurd, if you're going to break the law you need to accept that you might have to suffer the consequences, and that has NOTHING to do with civil rights.

We don't know how to think. The media does it for us.

The article references Prop 187, which represents the first real moment when government truly turned my stomach. Virtually 60% of Californians vote to prohibit the use of social services, public schools and health care by illegal aliens. (For those keeping track, it has been determined here that just under 53% is considered a mandate.) Federal courts overturn it. Newly elected Democratic governor doesn't appeal. Illegals get everything they want for free.

Still, I see the error of my ways now. We need to coddle them. We need to love them. Cuz they're doing jobs we won't do. Mandates be damned. :D

And prop 187 is the reason why my wife refuses to even consider any of the propositions. She just votes no on all of them. Her reason? Why vote yes if it's just going to be overturned in the courts. Same crap is happening with prop 8. What the hell is the point.