Facebook...

buckeyemike

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My brand-new Facebook page.

And by the way, what is Twitter? And why is it tweeting, as opposed to twitting?

Twitter is a site where you post one-liners about what you're doing for those who may care... Tweeting is the verb. I don't think twitting is anything....

Personally, I don't get Twitter at all, but maybe it's just me.

I refuse to join facebook.

Not joining facebook makes you cooler than joining facebook.

I avoided FB for a long time. I thought that it was a fully narcissistic thing that I didn't need. About a year ago, I joined because a friend was posting some pictures of their new baby. I looked at the pictures and forgot about it. About 3 months ago, another friend was heading to Iraq and was going to keep everyone up to date via FB. So I found my password and went back in. I had 10 friend requests from people I hadn't seen in 20 years or more and I check in just about everyday. I don't participate much, but it's interesting to see what happened (is happening) to everyone.

I think there are some things that are getting out of hand like passing virtual drinks, cupcakes, quizzes, etc. But all in all, it's pretty good. My favorite moment so far is when I logged on a about 2 months ago and in the section where it says "People You May Know", I saw a familiar name: Teppo Numminen. :rolleyes:

Twittering is something I recently started to do. I follow a number of "market" people who make comments and link to stories and blogs.

Here's a story on FB & Twitter and how they might transform journalism.

I don't participate much, but it's interesting to see what happened (is happening) to everyone.

Same here. Family and some close friends all do it so I set up my profile but don't really do much with it. Handy for baby pics, etc.

I certainly don't do any of the applications....I've read some negative things about them from a security standpoint (they are all 3d parties, not facebook, so who the f--- knows who you are giving your info away to). And my settings are all 'friends only'.

But now that we've established that we have some participants here, someone needs to set up a 'Fans of TSW' group. :rolleyes:

I use facebook to keep up with my circuit city folk, it has been very therapeutic. I use it to set up 'networking' lunches/coffee sessions where we get together to help each other or just goof around for a while. Facebook is what you make of it, and i am making it a useful tool....

Twitter is a site where you post one-liners about what you're doing for those who may care... Tweeting is the verb. I don't think twitting is anything....

Personally, I don't get Twitter at all, but maybe it's just me.

My wife is on facebook constantly, but I really have no interest. She was telling me about one of her friends that kept posting the "one-liners", must have been twitter, to keep everyone posted on the arrival date of their baby. I thought that was pretty cool use of the site. Instead of calling everyone, you could just post the latest updates.

People on FB are full of sh--.

I GUARANTEE 90% of people on it are 100% more miserable than they let on with thier little "updates" and pictures.

"Johnny says TGIF!!!"

Spare me...what youre leaving out is "Johnny says TGIF...now he can go home and babysit his heroin addicted 14 year old all weekend!!!"

And I really dont need to be "friended" by some old HS clowns. I hated your guts and didnt say three words to you in High School. What makes you think I want to talk to you NOW???!!??

I quit that nonsense a few months back. Dont miss it a bit.

I GUARANTEE 90% of people on it are 100% more miserable than they let on with thier little "updates" and pictures.

"Johnny says TGIF!!!"

Spare me...what youre leaving out is "Johnny says TGIF...now he can go home and babysit his heroin addicted 14 year old all weekend!!!"

And I really dont need to be "friended" by some old HS clowns. I hated your guts and didnt say three words to you in High School. What makes you think I want to talk to you NOW???!!??

Rough past?

"Johnny says TGIF!!!"

I didn't know Denis Leary was a Bills fan.

Rough past?

Not at all, really. I just dont need to wade through a gaggle of people, 80% of which I really dont care about, mentally masturbate their until now deep rooted narcissistic tendencies. And the other 20% I DO care about...I am in contact with and know what they are up to.

Hey, look...if you enjoy your time there, have at it. It just wasnt for me.

Not at all, really. I just dont need to wade through a gaggle of people, 80% of which I really dont care about, mentally masturbate their until now deep rooted narcissistic tendencies. And the other 20% I DO care about...I am in contact with and know what they are up to.

Hey, look...if you enjoy your time there, have at it. It just wasnt for me.

I didn't think it was possible to agree with anything you say, but amen brother.

Made a facebook page around a year or so,and visited it perhaps no more than a half a dozen times and pondered just what to do with it. I seem to recall a thread asking who on wall uses facebook, it was motivation at the time to find out just what facebook was. Actually another wall poster a few days ago, requested being a friend, the e-mail request reminded me i even had a page.

I would appreciate a site that tells how a person can safely and effectively use facebook or at least a set of opinions. Have googled that very question and came up with a few, but thus far really not much.

im on facebook, and just today i went through and purged about 20 "friends" because of their sh-------, non-stop updates about nothing. and their stupid, Myspace-like quizzes they cant stop taking to inform me what their favorite 5 beers are, or what country they should live in, or what Muppet they are, or what Leading Lady they are, blahblahblah.

i use it to keep in touch with people since i have moved around the country a lot for my 29 years.

Twitter has taken over Myspace as the #1 Downfall of Humanity. People are really that self-absorbed that they find it necessary to update "everyone" on every move they make? its unbelievable. "I just got coffee, yum" "I have a headache" "I'm still tired" big !@#$ing deal. no one cares. hate twitter. i hate the idea of twitter.

Made a facebook page around a year or so,and visited it perhaps no more than a half a dozen times and pondered just what to do with it. I seem to recall a thread asking who on wall uses facebook, it was motivation at the time to find out just what facebook was. Actually another wall poster a few days ago, requested being a friend, the e-mail request reminded me i even had a page.

I would appreciate a site that tells how a person can safely and effectively use facebook or at least a set of opinions. Have googled that very question and came up with a few, but thus far really not much.

very simple. just remember that everything and anything you put on the internet is out there for EVERYONE to see FOR EVER. dont add the stupid applications, since you have to agree to let them access your personal info, and it allows them to access ANY of it. and at that point they possibly have your birthday, your email address, your full name, where you grew up, your address, etc.

Facebook can be a very good and safe application, as long as you dont use it like a 15 year old girl who doesnt understand the consequences of putting all their info online. along with some naughty photos that will come back to haunt you.