(OT) NHL and a Salary Cap

swede316

Greed. They are looking short-term and don't care about long-term. The owners are looking long-term. However if players lose not just this season, but next season, it will start to affect their short-term heavily. The NHL will announce that they'll use replacement players for next season, and that will be the straw that breaks the NHLPA's back, especially with guys like Rob Ray and allegedly at least 10 other players willing to break ranks. And with some teams losing less money by not playing, I don't think the owners are in any major hurry.

I'm really starting to miss my Hockey....Why can't the players accept a frieking salary cap....Works fine in the NFL. The worlds most viable sports league.

98051[/snapback]

Greed

In the meantime we can check out the Rochester Americans

They are playing a game at HSBC arena on friday

I really believe you guys are right...The Superstars are the labor reps while the rank and file players aren't being represented. Jaqr makes 10 million a year...but his best days are long gone. A salary cap would do this sport wonders.

The owners deserve plenty of blame too. This isn't a one way street.

That said, the players simply aren't being realistic and I believe the lunch pail guys will speak up once their money starts to run out and the reality of entering the real world creeps in.

The owners are still going to be dicks after this is all said and done. I have a sliver of hope that they'll slash ticket prices by 50%, but I'm probably being idealistic.

The owners deserve plenty of blame too. This isn't a one way street.

If I remember correctly...The Sabres will lose less money by not playing...If the owners numbers are correct...This sport is not viable. Either reduce costs and increase revenue or scrap the league and start over.

If I remember correctly...The Sabres will lose less money by not playing...If the owners numbers are correct...This sport is not viable. Either reduce costs and increase revenue or scrap the league and start over.

98135[/snapback]

I didn't say the economics of the game are good, nor did I say there shouldn't be wholesale changes. However, the owners also cook their books (LA Kings come immediately to mind), so I don't believe them either.

The owners deserve plenty of blame too.  This isn't a one way street. 

That said, the players simply aren't being realistic and I believe the lunch pail guys will speak up once their money starts to run out and the reality of entering the real world creeps in.

The owners are still going to be dicks after this is all said and done.  I have a sliver of hope that they'll slash ticket prices by 50%, but I'm probably being idealistic.

98118[/snapback]

You stand a MUCH better chance of seeing ticket prices slashed with a cap than without one. And who said that employees should make as much as, or even close to what, the owners do?

However, the owners also cook their books (LA Kings come immediately to mind), so I don't believe them either.
Like I said...IF their numbers are right....If any sport needed acap and cost reduction it is the NHL. :D

You stand a MUCH better chance of seeing ticket prices slashed with a cap than without one.  And who said that employees should make as much as, or even close to what, the owners do?

98170[/snapback]

I'm not sure where you got that from. I'm not siding with either of them. The owners made their own beds by signing teams to these ridiculous contracts without having the revenue streams to back them up, nor the foresight to understand that expansion isn't good for the game. They have also been far too lax on making the required rule changes to keep the regular season interesting.

The players are being ridiculous and are pissing on those who paved the way for them.

I'm not sure where you got that from.  I'm not siding with either of them.  The owners made their own beds by signing teams to these ridiculous contracts without having the revenue streams to back them up, nor the foresight to understand that expansion isn't good for the game.  They have also been far too lax on making the required rule changes to keep the regular season interesting.

The players are being ridiculous and are pissing on those who paved the way for them.

98180[/snapback]

You can only blame the owners so much. The impetus for higher salaries is the players and their agents. Owners aren't looking to spend more money, just to field competitive teams that generate more revenue. And expansion was looked at as a way to increase revenue through ticket and merchandise sales, but that didn't happen. At least they moved/contracted teams. The next step is the cap.

You can only blame the owners so much.  The impetus for higher salaries is the players and their agents.  Owners aren't looking to spend more money, just to field competitive teams that generate more revenue.  And expansion was looked at as a way to increase revenue through ticket and merchandise sales, but that didn't happen.  At least they moved/contracted teams.  The next step is the cap.

98193[/snapback]

I can blame them as much as I want. We're talking opinions here. The owners have been greedy and stupid and haven't acted as one united entity. They hired Gary Bettman and allowed him to ruin the game during his tenure.

No sport can realistically charge what the NHL does on a nightly basis and expect to keep their core fans coming to the game. Let's see, I can watch the Sabres play the Blue Jackets for $85 or I can watch the AHL for $12. Tough choice there.

I'm not sure where you got that from.  I'm not siding with either of them.  The owners made their own beds by signing teams to these ridiculous contracts without having the revenue streams to back them up, nor the foresight to understand that expansion isn't good for the game.  They have also been far too lax on making the required rule changes to keep the regular season interesting.

98180[/snapback]

good point, I agree.

That is what makes this such a stalemate, both sides are at fault therefore both sides feel they are right. Makes for a bad situation.

Things to blame for NHL's current state.

1. Bob Goodenow....Old school union blockhead. No give at all.

2. Garry Bettman....No concern for the game itself and the quality of the product. Only concerned with cash influxes in the form of tv contracts and expansion fees. Has to go.

3. New York Rangers...overpaying both marginal and star players. This drives up the contracts of all the top players.

4. Philadelphia Flyers....see #3

Things to blame for NHL's current state.

1. Bob Goodenow....Old school union blockhead. No give at all.

2. Garry Bettman....No concern for the game itself and the quality of the product. Only concerned with cash influxes in the form of tv contracts and expansion fees. Has to go.

3. New York Rangers...overpaying both marginal and star players.  This drives up the contracts of all the top players.

4. Philadelphia Flyers....see #3

98543[/snapback]

#1 is and will always be, players and their agents. Teams generally don't throw out huge numbers at players, it's players and their agents who come looking for huge numbers.

#1 is and will always be, players and their agents.  Teams generally don't throw out huge numbers at players, it's players and their agents who come looking for huge numbers.

98645[/snapback]

I kinda lump Goodenow,players together. As far as teams go there are two culprits that throw out the most ridiculous money for average players and thats the Rangers and Clarke with the Flyers.

You can only blame the owners so much.  The impetus for higher salaries is the players and their agents.  Owners aren't looking to spend more money, just to field competitive teams that generate more revenue.  And expansion was looked at as a way to increase revenue through ticket and merchandise sales, but that didn't happen.  At least they moved/contracted teams.  The next step is the cap.

98193[/snapback]

UUhhhhuuhh, this is called the free market. Players and agents have every right undder our capitalistic system to try to make as much money as they can and owners have every right no to pay the players contracts which destroy the game.

Hockey is relatively small potatoes as a business compared to other sports businesses like football and baseball that its owners cannot voluntarily give out bigger contracts looking for a competitive advantage.

The salary cap is a centralized control which would force business discipline on the owners. In exchange for aggreeing to not pursuing the free market approach (which would kill the sport) the NFL players have agreed to a CBA which sets up a partnership between the NFL and the NFLPA and both sides are making money hand over fist from this cooperation.

Both parties are to blame for failing to cooperate with each other, but I do think that action does start with holders of the capital who drive the game. The onrs have voluntarily given out contracts which the business cannot sustain. The players and agents have not protected the owners from themselves but it is hard to expect them to do that.