Revamping the NFL offseason

BillsVet

Evidently a topic at the NFL Meetings this week is changing the timeline for off-season events.

Revised NFL offseason in works?

NFL Free Agency would remain in the same window, although the NFL Draft would revert from late April to February. This makes for a slow period from May through training camps. As it stands, there seems to be no real off-season for teams.

There are so many angles to go with this, but it would certainly affect free agency, as teams could conceivably address personnel needs before the big dollars of UFA.

Thoughts?

Evidently a topic at the NFL Meetings this week is changing the timeline for off-season events.

NFL Free Agency would remain in the same window, although the NFL Draft would revert from late April to February. This makes for a slow period from May through training camps. As it stands, there seems to be no real off-season for teams.

There are so many angles to go with this, but it would certainly affect free agency, as teams could conceivably address personnel needs before the big dollars of UFA.

Thoughts?

I think they should leave the draft where it is, given the collegiate academic schedule.

I think they should leave the draft where it is, given the collegiate academic schedule.

I don't think a lot of those guys are concerned with that. Many of those early entrants have left school to prepare for the draft and seniors have either graduated or left early.

FYI,

Another thread on the same topic. Given the title of the thread, it it's no wonder you missed it:

http://www.stadiumwall.com/index.php?showtopic=85591

Thanks. I hadn't noticed that. It was a misleading thread title.

I know there's always improvements to be made/explored, but why doesn't the NFL just accept the fact that they have a great game and a great thinig going and not mess with it.

Leave it be! They should all just focus on the new CBA and keeping the friggin salary cap, while curbing rookie salaries.

I know there's always improvements to be made/explored, but why doesn't the NFL just accept the fact that they have a great game and a great thinig going and not mess with it.

Leave it be! They should all just focus on the new CBA and keeping the friggin salary cap, while curbing rookie salaries.

The economy is dictating a lot of what's being considered. Layoffs at the league office and in many franchises demonstrate the times are hitting even the NFL. They wouldn't discuss changes without there being a good reason, as the off-season dates have remained fairly consistent since the early nineties. The draft, per the article, has remained in late April/early May since 1977.

Having the draft early provides for a truncated offseason which greatly minimizes the costs teams incur to conduct amateur scouting.

Having the draft early provides for a truncated offseason which greatly minimizes the costs teams incur to conduct amateur scouting.

Seems that would increase the chances for a bum pick.

See also Congressional leadership putting up stimulus, budget bills with a day to read them before holding the vote... :thumbsup:

I don't think a lot of those guys are concerned with that. Many of those early entrants have left school to prepare for the draft and seniors have either graduated or left early.

Thanks. I hadn't noticed that. It was a misleading thread title.

There would be NCAA violations galore if they were just pulling these guys out of class willy nilly to get the combine, pro days, team visits etc out of the way between bowl games and the end of February. That's also not a ton of time for the underclassmen to make up their minds. If they jumped through all the aforementioned NFL tryout hoops WHILE they were missing out on classes, and then made the decision NOT to go into the NFL, it could have negative repercussions on the upcoming collegiate season.

Not every NFL-producing college is a tutored meat machine.

Seems that would increase the chances for a bum pick.

See also Congressional leadership putting up stimulus, budget bills with a day to read them before holding the vote... :thumbsup:

Yes, spending money without outlining what it's for is a huge no-no in the president's book. Oh, wait...

I agree moving the draft up two months definitely affects scouting and could make the draft even more risky. Perhaps some of the "stimulus" can go to the NFL to assist them fund teams scouting. Funds would go to teams with the worst draft records: Lions, Bengals, Raiders, Bills, 49ers, and Rams.

Yes, spending money without outlining what it's for is a huge no-no in the president's book. Oh, wait...

I agree moving the draft up two months definitely affects scouting and could make the draft even more risky. Perhaps some of the "stimulus" can go to the NFL to assist them fund teams scouting. Funds would go to teams with the worst draft records: Lions, Bengals, Raiders, Bills, 49ers, and Rams.

Moving up the draft would greatly help the Bills against other teams.

we do no scouting , other than reading Mel Kiper and whatever Modrak gets sent to his house in Jacksonville -

so other teams could make stupid picks like the Bills make since they won;t have as much time to prepare.

this would be brilliant.

I don't see how they can have the draft in February. With the Bowl season ending in January, how can they have the Combine and the workouts? I think it'd be too rushed. Maybe they could have it in March, but I like it the way it is.

I agree ... not enough time ... leave well enough alone there ... worry about the NFL draft and speed that thing up.

The one thing I could never understand is, the first team to draft can sign their pick before the draft even starts. Why don't the teams that follow make their picks also? Is there some rule that says only the first pick can sign early? If not, it seems like teams would have more time to make deals. It would take some of the "event" out of draft day, but it would take the pressure off the first few picks anyway. Just one of those things that makes no sense to me. Enlighten me if you can.

I don't see how they can have the draft in February. With the Bowl season ending in January, how can they have the Combine and the workouts? I think it'd be too rushed. Maybe they could have it in March, but I like it the way it is.

Yes, and the NFL 'Bowl' season ending just a couple weeks earlier than a new proposed Draft date. Critical injuries may not have been completely diagnosed at this time..

Thoughts?

I have always wondered why the draft isnt done first, followed by free agent signings followed by offseason break followed by minicamps and training camp and the season.

I strongly agree with the draft first policy and sign all your draft picks by x date release all players by x date then let a true official free agency begin and everyteam would know what they need and whats available. Players might even have a better neg. ability and this might help witht he fight for a rookie cap.

I LIKE IT!!!! <_<