Larry The Cable Guy Roast

I seem to remember Jeff Ross talking about that roast. He said that the problem with any roast is that as each comic is sitting there, other guys end up using their material. There's only so many ways to play out the same foible. With the Pam Anderson roast, every single Tommy Lee joke had been made, so he said it was a Godsend for Courtney Love to meltdown. It gave everyone else there something new to work with.

The best is Norm MacDonald on the Bob Saget roast. Norm simply does his best to die up there. Everyone "gets it" except for Jim Norton.

Norm Part 1

Norm Part 2

Norm Part 3

Norm replies to Jim Norton

:thumbsup:

hehe...great performance by norm

Yeah! It was f'n hillarious Warren Sapp and Gary Bussey were the tops. A must watch. The constant bashing of Lisa Lampinelli's vag was priceless. :thumbsup:

Maureen McCormick (the original Marcia Brady), killed too. She was particularly filthy. I like that.

I agree on most of that. Norm usually makes me laugh, but you might be onto something about him not always being ready. That's probably part of what endears him to other comedians. Norm just doesn't care (much like myself, I think).

Here's

from Conan O'Brien back in '97.

where Jim Breuer and Artie tell some Norm stories from SNL.

Great.

I couldn't find the full clip of what I was looking for (I really didn't look very hard), but the first time Norm was on the old Dennis Miller Show (on HBO) I was in the audience. The first little bit on this clip, is from that show, (ie, This clip is from a different show...but they show a quick piece from the show I was at. Norm talked about rooster for the entire interview. It was hysterical.)

where Jim Breuer and Artie tell some Norm stories from SNL.

BTW, I love that Breuer is dissing Chris Kattan. If we could get Kattan to fight back, it would be a comedy cripple fight. The next funny thing Breuer or Kattan say (outside of a character) will be the first.

BTW, I love that Breuer is dissing Chris Kattan. If we could get Kattan to fight back, it would be a comedy cripple fight. The next funny thing Breuer or Kattan say (outside of a character) will be the first.

Jesus H. Christ Dean, I couldn't agree with you more! I don't know if Breuer and Kattan have naked photos of someone at NBC, but during their runs on SNL, I just didn't get either of them. At first I thought "okay, I've officially reached that age, where I don't 'get' SNL anymore." But later i realized those two were the main culprits in my not getting it. They just weren't/aren't funny. I'm not saying I'm the next Brad Pitt looks wise, but could you find two more repulsive looking comedians? Is it just coincidence that Breuer played "goatboy" and Kattan played some sort of "monkey creep?"

Hacks of the highest order Deano...

(by the way in the name of full disclosure: I was at BB King's place Sunday night in NYC watching Flavor Flav and Public Enemy put on a show in honor of Flav's 50th birthday, and yeah the show was pretty fuggin good.)

Maureen McCormick (the original Marcia Brady), killed too. She was particularly filthy. I like that.

Maureen was amazing. A natural comedy talent.--I like the part where she told larry that he sold his soul to the devil....---perfect delivery..

Jesus H. Christ Dean, I couldn't agree with you more! I don't know if Breuer and Kattan have naked photos of someone at NBC, but during their runs on SNL, I just didn't get either of them. At first I thought "okay, I've officially reached that age, where I don't 'get' SNL anymore." But later i realized those two were the main culprits in my not getting it. They just weren't/aren't funny. I'm not saying I'm the next Brad Pitt looks wise, but could you find two more repulsive looking comedians? Is it just coincidence that Breuer played "goatboy" and Kattan played some sort of "monkey creep?"

Hacks of the highest order Deano...

(by the way in the name of full disclosure: I was at BB King's place Sunday night in NYC watching Flavor Flav and Public Enemy put on a show in honor of Flav's 50th birthday, and yeah the show was pretty fuggin good.)

Great.

I couldn't find the full clip of what I was looking for (I really didn't look very hard), but the first time Norm was on the old Dennis Miller Show (on HBO) I was in the audience. The first little bit on this clip, is from that show, (ie, This clip is from a different show...but they show a quick piece from the show I was at. Norm talked about rooster for the entire interview. It was hysterical.)

I liked that one. Adam Carolla talked about how he would have liked to have Norm on his morning radio show, but Norm wasn't the type of guy that liked to get up in the morning. Now that he has a podcast, he said that he'd try to get Norm on. Tangent - Adam had Seth MacFarlane on this week. They talked about how Adam took over for Norm as "Death" on the Family Guy. Seth said that Norm was hard to work with. I think it's probably because Norm just doesn't care. I highly recommend the Adam Carolla podcast. You can get them here. (Caution: NSFW) The Seth MacFarlane one is the best so far. He talks about how he was supposed to be on United flight 11 on 9/11 out of Boston, but he was late and missed it.

I can't find it anywhere, but I remember another time I heard Breuer telling a story about when he first got to SNL and they were posing for a cast picture and he was standing next to David Spade. The first thing that Spade ever said to him was "So... have you figured out that Norm is crazy yet?"

this is my first venture into Podcasts....is that it people just talk about whatever they want? pretty interesting medium...is there a library of podcasts out there to find other interesting subjects?

I highly recommend the Adam Carolla podcast. You can get them here. The Seth MacFarlane one is the best so far. He talks about how he was supposed to be on United flight 11 on 9/11 out of Boston, but he was late and missed it.

this is my first venture into Podcasts....is that it people just talk about whatever they want? pretty interesting medium...is there a library of podcasts out there to find other interesting subjects?

First off - I had to edit my previous post. You must assume that all podcasts are NSFW. I don't know of a library of podcasts, but iTunes lists their most downloaded podcasts on their site. Carolla is #1 now. Most of the other big ones are stuff from NPR. I don't use iTunes, but that might be a place to find them. I only found this one because about a year ago Bill Simmons (ESPN Sports Guy) had Adam on and he plugged his morning radio show which could be streamed over the web. I checked out the site and found that you could also download the show in 12 daily podcasts (MP3 format) with the commercials edited out. I liked that because you could hear a 4 hour show in 2.5 hours and I could skip sections I didn't think I'd like. The station in LA changed formats, so Adam's show was canceled, but he decided to do the podcast from home for free. Right now it is costing him ~$3000/month in bandwidth to have the show, so he'll either need a sponsor or a way to charge for the show. His radio contract pays him for the rest of the year, so he doesn't mind the cost.

I find all of this really interesting. In this on-demand world, it's nice to be able to listen to this show when I want. With satellite radio's obituary already written, it would seem that there will be a shift in the model. I'm guessing that someone (iTunes?) will come up with an aggregator for podcasts like Adams and others. I think the best way (From a consumer's perspective) is for them to have the consumer set up a debit account and they put in $5/$10/$20. When they want to download a podcast, the account is debited. Sort of the way your toll booth pass works. Adam's podcast is currently running around 4-500k downloads per podcast. If he charges, that will surely drop. However, if the charge is say $0.05 per podcast, that's a lot of money for the high-volume producer and not much for the user.

Getting back to your original question - where do you find interesting podcasts? That has been an issue for me. I haven't found all that much stuff that is to my taste. I listen to Dave Dameshek when he has someone on that I like (Simmons, Carolla, Kimmel). But when he has other people on, it's just not that good. I listen to some financial ones, too. It's really a viral thing.

Good luck! :thumbsup:

With more roasts involving lower level comics, like Larry the Cable Guy, as a roastee, and some virtually unknown comics as the roasters, it's easy to see why they spend as much time attacking the few, more famous comics roasters, than the roastee.

This is basically what I thought when I saw the thread title. A roast for Larry the Cable Guy? Really? I would be hard pressed to name a less funny or original "comic" than him.

Jeffrey Ross is a great roaster, btw, and is a real throwback comic. He would have killed in the 50's and 60's.

+1

Jeffrey Ross is hysterical.

I'll go as far as saying that certain roasters of the inbred redneck were pretty damn funny, especially ross, diPoalo, Giraldo, and Busey. But overall, the Saget Roast, the Leary Roast and Shatner Roast were all much better as roasts.

The Pam Anderson one turned into a reality show, the Flava Flav one was the same sh-- over and over, with Flav completely !@#$ed up the whole show. Frankly, they just don't compare to the ones mentioned in the previous paragraph.

I'd like to see them roast people like Robin Williams, Steve Martin, Eddie Murphy, Adam Sandler, Jim Carey, etc....

:blink:

That's funny. But, have did you ever see Rosanne do standup, before her TV show came out? She was a fantastic comic.

Yah, the first time I saw here I was shocked at how crude she was, but funny as hell for sure.

:blink:

That's funny. But, have did you ever see Rosanne do standup, before her TV show came out? She was a fantastic comic.

Every once in a while HBO reruns an old Rodney Dangerfield young comedians special with Rosanne, Seinfeld, Kinison, Robert Townsend and a couple others. Pretty impressive 'before they were famous' line up.