Larry The Cable Guy Roast

Comedy Central roasts are a joke. Having the network's stable of self-aggrandizing comediens tell jokes about eachother sort of contradicts the whole point of a roast.

that is what I like about Comedy Centrals roasts

everyone goes after everyone but spends about 2 minutes more making fun of the....roaster... lol

that is what I like about Comedy Centrals roasts

everyone goes after everyone but spends about 2 minutes more making fun of the....roaster... lol

Don't get me wrong, I think Greg Geraldo and Patton Oswald are hilarious, but they're just using the roast platform as a chance to work in a comedy variety show. B-) Comedy Central.

Comedy Central roasts are a joke. Having the network's stable of self-aggrandizing comediens tell jokes about eachother sort of contradicts the whole point of a roast.

I like roasts, as a rule. So, while I enjoy most of Comedy Central's roasts, they aren't up to the standards of the old Friar's Club roasts...not even close.

Even in the old Friar's Club roasts, the comics made fun of each other, but the focus was really on the roastee.

With more roasts involving lower level comics, like Larry the Cable Guy, as a roastee, and some virtually unknown comics as the roasters, it's easy to see why they spend as much time attacking the few, more famous comics roasters, than the roastee.

Seriously, it is a horrible shadow of a roast...but, I admit I still watch it, as I like standup comedy, and I particularly like viscous standup comedy.

Jeffrey Ross is a great roaster, btw, and is a real throwback comic. He would have killed in the 50's and 60's.

I like roasts, as a rule. So, while I enjoy most of Comedy Central's roasts, they aren't up to the standards of the old Friar's Club roasts...not even close.

Even in the old Friar's Club roasts, the comics made fun of each other, but the focus was really on the roastee.

With more roasts involving lower level comics, like Larry the Cable Guy, as a roastee, and some virtually unknown comics as the roasters, it's easy to see why they spend as much time attacking the few, more famous comics roasters, than the roastee.

Seriously, it is a horrible shadow of a roast...but, I admit I still watch it, as I like standup comedy, and I particularly like viscous standup comedy.

Jeffrey Ross is a great roaster, btw, and is a real throwback comic. He would have killed in the 50's and 60's.

I was operating under the assumtion that roasters are meant to be the roastees close friends/colleagues. Comedy Central just has their "snap" chorale on call.

I was operating under the assumtion that roasters are meant to be the roastees close friends/colleagues. Comedy Central just has their "snap" chorale on call.

Indeed. The worst example of this may be the Flavor Flav roast.

For Larry, Bill Engvall phoned it in, and Ron White was nowhere to be seen.

Absolutely right... that was one of the worst ever.

One of the very few that was good, was the Pam Anderson Roast which turned into a Pam Anderson/Courtney Love "who's-the-bigger-attention-whore" Roast. Now THAT was a good roast IMO.

Yes, the Flavor Flav roast was when I finally said, "nope, never going to do this again."

I'm sure you're well aware of how "Larry the Cable Guy" invented himself and the persona. The guys who made him famous were equally exploitative--though none more so than Foxworthy, but regardless, they made their living reflecting "red-neck" culture as they saw/experienced it. I'm glad they didn't give the childish, fart humor hack his props.

Yes, the Flavor Flav roast was when I finally said, "nope, never going to do this again."

I'm sure you're well aware of how "Larry the Cable Guy" invented himself and the persona. The guys who made him famous were equally exploitative--though none more so than Foxworthy, but regardless, they made their living reflecting "red-neck" culture as they saw/experienced it. I'm glad they didn't give the childish, fart humor hack his props.

As horrible as the Flav roast was, from the "pure" roast perspective, I thought it was pretty damn funny, actually. But, it was clear that Comedy Central uses the same core of roasters on every show.

The Pam Anderson Roast was nearly unwatchable, IMO, and has been the worst of the roasts. WTF was she doing as a roastee, to begin with? Add to that the talentless and fuc#ed up Cortney Love trying to steal attention, and you have a reality show...not a comedy roast.

Add to that the talentless and fuc#ed up Cortney Love trying to steal attention, and you have a reality show...not a comedy roast.

That's what I loved about it, because the rest of the roasters smelled blood in the water after Ms Love got done with her "performance" and they just ripped her no-talent-gravy-training ass to pieces. Even better was she was so stoned and drunk out of her gourd, she didn't even realize they weren't really "making jokes at her expense" as they were exposing her for the fraud she really is.

That's what I loved about it, because the rest of the roasters smelled blood in the water after Ms Love got done with her "performance" and they just ripped her no-talent-gravy-training ass to pieces. Even better was she was so stoned and drunk out of her gourd, she didn't even realize they weren't really "making jokes at her expense" as they were exposing her for the fraud she really is.

I seem to remember Jeff Ross talking about that roast. He said that the problem with any roast is that as each comic is sitting there, other guys end up using their material. There's only so many ways to play out the same foible. With the Pam Anderson roast, every single Tommy Lee joke had been made, so he said it was a Godsend for Courtney Love to meltdown. It gave everyone else there something new to work with.

The best is Norm MacDonald on the Bob Saget roast. Norm simply does his best to die up there. Everyone "gets it" except for Jim Norton.

Norm Part 1

Norm Part 2

Norm Part 3

Norm replies to Jim Norton

B-)

I seem to remember Jeff Ross talking about that roast. He said that the problem with any roast is that as each comic is sitting there, other guys end up using their material. There's only so many ways to play out the same foible. With the Pam Anderson roast, every single Tommy Lee joke had been made, so he said it was a Godsend for Courtney Love to meltdown. It gave everyone else there something new to work with.

The best is Norm MacDonald on the Bob Saget roast. Norm simply does his best to die up there. Everyone "gets it" except for Jim Norton.

Norm Part 1

Norm Part 2

Norm Part 3

Norm replies to Jim Norton

B-)

What exactly was norm doing? lol

i thought it was hilarious though

What exactly was norm doing? lol

i thought it was hilarious though

He was simply reading old jokes, re-mixed for the event.

Norm is a puzzle. Sometimes he kills, other times...not so much. Sometimes I think he's prepared, and simply delivering his stuff in his shticky style, and other times I think he is horribly unprepared...but his style allows him to get away with it, and still be funny...IF you like his shtick.

I have to admit usually, I laugh.

He was simply reading old jokes, re-mixed for the event.

Norm is a puzzle. Sometimes he kills, other times...not so much. Sometimes I think he's prepared, and simply delivering his stuff in his shticky style, and other times I think he is horribly unprepared...but his style allows him to get away with it, and still be funny...IF you like his shtick.

I have to admit usually, I laugh.

I agree on most of that. Norm usually makes me laugh, but you might be onto something about him not always being ready. That's probably part of what endears him to other comedians. Norm just doesn't care (much like myself, I think).

Here's

from Conan O'Brien back in '97.

where Jim Breuer and Artie tell some Norm stories from SNL.