Training Question for coaches or Dads

I was wondering if anyone on here has tried the parachute running method for developing more leg strength and speed. I was going to purchase one for my son ,he`ll be 15 friday. We have worked on his strenght for about 11 months and he can max about 240 bench at 138lbs only 5-8. He runs about a 4.8 forty and I was wondering if the parachute doing sprints will help much. Thanks for any info.

I was wondering if anyone on here has tried the parachute running method for developing more leg strength and speed. I was going to purchase one for my son ,he`ll be 15 friday. We have worked on his strenght for about 11 months and he can max about 240 bench at 138lbs only 5-8. He runs about a 4.8 forty and I was wondering if the parachute doing sprints will help much. Thanks for any info.

What sport is he training for?

When I was training in high school (2001-2002), I used the strength shoes- those really retarded looking sneakers with a platform under the toe.

I used them during water polo season so I wasn't behind when basketball season started. They come with an incremental work out program which has you doing box jumps, 50 yard sprints, jump rope, etc. I would do the exercises with my Dad every other night before dinner. They took may be 45 minutes per night.

On the first day of "Hell Week" for basketball, not ONLY was I faster than all the land lubbers, but both my vertical AND my vertical quickness were significantly better.

I know this doesn't answer your question directly, but depending on what he's training for, strength shoes could be another useful device.

Just in case you don't watch Seinfeld:

Link

What sport is he training for?

When I was training in high school (2001-2002), I used the strength shoes- those really retarded looking sneakers with a platform under the toe.

I used them during water polo season so I wasn't behind when basketball season started. They come with an incremental work out program which has you doing box jumps, 50 yard sprints, jump rope, etc. I would do the exercises with my Dad every other night before dinner. They took may be 45 minutes per night.

On the first day of "Hell Week" for basketball, not ONLY was I faster than all the land lubbers, but both my vertical AND my vertical quickness were significantly better.

I know this doesn't answer your question directly, but depending on what he's training for, strength shoes could be another useful device.

Just in case you don't watch Seinfeld:

Link

Yeah I have seen these when my older son was in high school. I forgot about them. Thanks for the reminder.

I would recommend plyometrics and spending more time focusing on running mechanics rather than spending the money on the chutes. While they do work, you still need to develop the running mechanics to make them effective. Also, a great bargain now are the Don Beebe House of Speed training tapes.

http://store.houseofspeed.com/c-2-videos.aspx

Also, spend some time in the weight room working on hip flexors, ankle flexibility and abs all of which have an impact on sprinting.

I would recommend plyometrics and spending more time focusing on running mechanics rather than spending the money on the chutes. While they do work, you still need to develop the running mechanics to make them effective. Also, a great bargain now are the Don Beebe House of Speed training tapes.

Also, spend some time in the weight room working on hip flexors, ankle flexibility and abs all of which have an impact on sprinting.

Thanks I did get a strength training tape.

As a former D-III decathlete and present track coach under a former USA Today High School Coach of the Year, this is sound advice. While the parachute is a great tool to use, it is not meant to be the only thing used. If you want your son to get faster, you have to incorporate strength training, plyometrics, form training (good mechanics goes a long way), and a reasonable workout program that incorporates sprinting as well as some endurance training.

Cross-training go quite a long way as well, beit swimming, biking, football, soccer, basketball. However the stuff mentioned in the previous paragraph is essential to nearly every position in nearly every athletic sport.

Also, recent research suggests that a cool down activity and stretching at the end is important for setting up the body for recovery for the next day

:rolleyes:

As a former D-III decathlete and present track coach under a former USA Today High School Coach of the Year, this is sound advice. While the parachute is a great tool to use, it is not meant to be the only thing used. If you want your son to get faster, you have to incorporate strength training, plyometrics, form training (good mechanics goes a long way), and a reasonable workout program that incorporates sprinting as well as some endurance training.

Cross-training go quite a long way as well, beit swimming, biking, football, soccer, basketball. However the stuff mentioned in the previous paragraph is essential to nearly every position in nearly every athletic sport.

Also, recent research suggests that a cool down activity and stretching at the end is important for setting up the body for recovery for the next day

Thanks again.

Good call, stretching and cooling down are a much overlooked part of an exercise, yet quite possibly the most important. A quicker recovery is very helpful in building muscle faster and more efficiently. Sleep is also a very underrated aspect of a training program. It also is very important in resting and recovering.