Sabres vs Sens...

Buftex

What a completely garbage effort by the Sabres tonight. They did their disappearing act roughly halfway through the first period, and were invisible the rest of the night. I can't figure this team out, and frankly, after tonight, I am not giving them much more thought. I hope they make a playoff run, but I can't fathom how they can, with the way they have been playing. It is not like there is no talent on this team. They are just a lousy team...it really seems like a major overhaul is needed. Sad to think how poorly management fugged up a good thing.

Sorry...got it off my chest...

I don't follow the Sabres as closely as a lot of you do...just try to catch them whenever they are on TV here and then live through the boxscores and recaps. But I have to agree how disappointingly fast their little window of success closed. What a dark day it was to lose Drury and Briere. Even worse, I get to hear and see Briere all the time hear playing for the Flyers (well not all the time since he's been more than a little banged up since arriving).

For you more knowledgeable fans, which of the last two teams do you think was better....the 2005-06 or the 2006-07? I have to think that the 2005 squad would have had a great chance had not 3/4 of the team been injured. But man, that hot start in '06 was incredible.

Sad to see them possibly on the outside looking in again this year.

What a completely garbage effort by the Sabres tonight. They did their disappearing act roughly halfway through the first period, and were invisible the rest of the night. I can't figure this team out, and frankly, after tonight, I am not giving them much more thought. I hope they make a playoff run, but I can't fathom how they can, with the way they have been playing. It is not like there is no talent on this team. They are just a lousy team...it really seems like a major overhaul is needed. Sad to think how poorly management fugged up a good thing.

I was at the game tonight (being a Sens fan and all) and even I was surprised by how lazy they were out there. Yeah, they got a lot of penalties but most of them were because they didn't want to move their feet. You'd think with Miller out they'd clamp down on the defensive side but they hung Telly out to dry. For the Sabres fans that showed up tonight, I actually felt bad. You'd think they'd be desperate with the playoffs on the line against a non-contender.

I was at the game tonight (being a Sens fan and all) and even I was surprised by how lazy they were out there. Yeah, they got a lot of penalties but most of them were because they didn't want to move their feet. You'd think with Miller out they'd clamp down on the defensive side but they hung Telly out to dry. For the Sabres fans that showed up tonight, I actually felt bad. You'd think they'd be desperate with the playoffs on the line against a non-contender.

Yes, the penalty situation was ridiculous. I thought the Sens could have been called a few times, but there was nothing horrendous that went uncalled. The Sabres just played lazy hockey for 50 minutes. You would think, the fact that they need to start winning games, and the fact that they were playing a rival that has been getting the best of them for a few seasons now, they could have mustered up a little emotion...when Ruff called the early timeout in the third (after they fell down by 2), it didn't even give them a shot of energy for a shift or two. It is embarassing how bad they played. What, did they get their 10th shot on goal with about 10 minutes left in the game?

I really like Lindy Ruff, and I am not a big fan of firing coaches (particularly those who have a good track record) in the heat of the moment. But, since the aforementioned Drury and Briere were let go, this team has been stuck in mud. They can look like an elite team, against good teams, and absolute trash against middle of the road teams. It has been going on like this for about two seasons now...win one, lose one, win two, lose two, lose 10, win 7...it just seems like whatever Ruff is selling them, they aren't buying anymore.

It is really the same team, mostly the same core guys they have had for the last 4 years. The team just seem to be comprised of role players. Rivet had a nice start to the season, but seems to have faded into the background...no player is taking this thing by the horns... it almost seems that unless the owner is willing to give the green light for a real overhaul of the talent on the team, Ruff will have to be held responsible for this team. I am not saying it is fair, but something needs to change. They aren't really getting anywhere, and they don't seem to be getting any better... and they always seem full of excuses. I know teams get tired, and they are going to have a bad period here or there, maybe even a two or three bad games in a row, now and again. Patrick Llame has played well enough in Millers' abscence (and Tellquist played well enought tonight) But this Sabres sqaud, just like the one last year, just seems trapped in a malaise, and they seem pretty content...

All of the sudden, hockey night for the Sabres is feeling like a Sunday afternoon of watching the Bills. :devil:

buhhhhh bye sabres:)

Yes, the penalty situation was ridiculous. I thought the Sens could have been called a few times, but there was nothing horrendous that went uncalled. The Sabres just played lazy hockey for 50 minutes. You would think, the fact that they need to start winning games, and the fact that they were playing a rival that has been getting the best of them for a few seasons now, they could have mustered up a little emotion...when Ruff called the early timeout in the third (after they fell down by 2), it didn't even give them a shot of energy for a shift or two. It is embarassing how bad they played. What, did they get their 10th shot on goal with about 10 minutes left in the game?

I really like Lindy Ruff, and I am not a big fan of firing coaches (particularly those who have a good track record) in the heat of the moment. But, since the aforementioned Drury and Briere were let go, this team has been stuck in mud. They can look like an elite team, against good teams, and absolute trash against middle of the road teams. It has been going on like this for about two seasons now...win one, lose one, win two, lose two, lose 10, win 7...it just seems like whatever Ruff is selling them, they aren't buying anymore.

It is really the same team, mostly the same core guys they have had for the last 4 years. The team just seem to be comprised of role players. Rivet had a nice start to the season, but seems to have faded into the background...no player is taking this thing by the horns... it almost seems that unless the owner is willing to give the green light for a real overhaul of the talent on the team, Ruff will have to be held responsible for this team. I am not saying it is fair, but something needs to change. They aren't really getting anywhere, and they don't seem to be getting any better... and they always seem full of excuses. I know teams get tired, and they are going to have a bad period here or there, maybe even a two or three bad games in a row, now and again. Patrick Llame has played well enough in Millers' abscence (and Tellquist played well enought tonight) But this Sabres sqaud, just like the one last year, just seems trapped in a malaise, and they seem pretty content...

All of the sudden, hockey night for the Sabres is feeling like a Sunday afternoon of watching the Bills. :devil:

and maybe we dont have good enough players

and maybe we dont have good enough players

I don't think this team is completely talentless, just completely heartless... we have the players we have. Some of them can play very well on any given night...just not enough given nights it appears... take a guy like Spacek. Some nights, he looks like an elite defensemen, and other nights (like tonight) he looks like he doesn't belong on an NHL team. There was a play in the the third period, where one of the Senators (I think it was Alfy, but I could be wrong) had the puck in the circle, to the left of Tellequist (sp?) Miro is the only one who can help the goalie... as the Senator player winds up to shoot the puck, Spacek starts to go down to the ice, you think, to block the shot. No, instead, he looked more like he was trying to get out of the way of the puck... it wasn't even a hard shot... granted, it didn't go in the net, but it is just the principal...

After that unbelievable collapse the other night against Atlanta, I would have never guessed they could play so horribly tonight.

I guess I overrate pride when it comes to my teams...

Yep, there goes another $165 NHL Center Ice down the drain...

Funny, I thought the same thing, as the game was winding down. I wasn't going to get it this year, but broke down on Thanksgiving weekend... I really have to re-evaluate how I spend my time, and money at this point... :devil: Luckily they show other teams too!

rooting for the Sabres and Bills is getting to be like dating twins that promise you ecstasy and then go home before the evening is over. Leaving you with blue testicles.

The team lacks veteran leadership and grit. Who would have thought that their best players in the past month would be the backup goalies. Tallinder has been bad since he came back, and he takes Lydman down with him. He should have been traded, and make Butler and Numminen regulars. Resigning Connolly just insures two more years of soft backchecking. They should have brought in a couple of veterans like Bill Guerin to bring back some leadership they lost when Drury left. Look how Guerin has helped turn Crosby and the Penguins around. Even Sean Avery would have been a spark to show some life in the forwards. Instead they brought in a young guy from Toronto who is hardly noticed in the games. At this point, missing the playoffs would be the type of message that would hopefully signal to ownership that more significant changes are needed. Squeeking into the playoffs would perpetuate the same old, same old next season.

For you more knowledgeable fans, which of the last two teams do you think was better....the 2005-06 or the 2006-07? I have to think that the 2005 squad would have had a great chance had not 3/4 of the team been injured. But man, that hot start in '06 was incredible.

I think '05-'06 by far. That team was tough as well as talented. I have no doubt if that team stays relatively healthy they win the cup. They were within 20 minutes of the Finals even with all those injuries.

The following year was great for the President's Trophy but teams had caught up by the end of the year. They were dominated in the ECF in '07.

It is disappointing that they were unable to sustain that success.

Quite honestly, they showed a lot of the same lethargic skating back during the ECF runs. If you take out the heroics of the two that shall remain unspoken, it's much of the same. I really think that during 06-07 season, they rode the success of the first half of the year.