With the Ravens signing LJ Smith

RAVENS SIGN L.J. SMITH

Posted by Mike Florio on March 17, 2009, 5:04 p.m. EDT

We just wrapped up a spot on 105.7 the Fan in Baltimore with Scott Garceau and Anita Marks, during which they reiterated their report that free-agent tight end L.J. Smith would/could be signing with the Ravens.

So after ending the call we decided to poke around a bit, and we confirmed that, indeed, Smith already has been signed.

Per a league source, it’s a one-year, $1.5 million deal.

Smith was the Eagles’ franchise player in 2008, but they made no serious bid to keep him this time around. He reportedly had narrowed his choices to Atlanta and Detroit. On Monday, however, word broke that the Falcons were out of the running.

It’s unknown what this development means for veteran Todd Heap, who is due to earn a base salary of $3.6 million in 2009.

Coach John Harbaugh is closely familiar with Smith, given that Harbaugh served as an assistant coach in Philadelphia during most of Smith’s career there.

UPDATE: Technically, the agreement has been reached in principle; Smith has to pass a physical.

Not sure if I'd want him over Tony Scheffler but Heaps a beast. Something different to discuss at least.

I doubt Heap is available...both Heap and LJ are injury prone...even when Heap plays he is still on the injury report...I am sure this is just some insurance in case Heap gets hurt again and adds another weapon for Flacco when both are helathy and they go to a 2 TE set...

RAVENS SIGN L.J. SMITH

Posted by Mike Florio on March 17, 2009, 5:04 p.m. EDT

We just wrapped up a spot on 105.7 the Fan in Baltimore with Scott Garceau and Anita Marks, during which they reiterated their report that free-agent tight end L.J. Smith would/could be signing with the Ravens.

So after ending the call we decided to poke around a bit, and we confirmed that, indeed, Smith already has been signed.

Per a league source, it’s a one-year, $1.5 million deal.

Smith was the Eagles’ franchise player in 2008, but they made no serious bid to keep him this time around. He reportedly had narrowed his choices to Atlanta and Detroit. On Monday, however, word broke that the Falcons were out of the running.

It’s unknown what this development means for veteran Todd Heap, who is due to earn a base salary of $3.6 million in 2009.

Coach John Harbaugh is closely familiar with Smith, given that Harbaugh served as an assistant coach in Philadelphia during most of Smith’s career there.

UPDATE: Technically, the agreement has been reached in principle; Smith has to pass a physical.

Not sure if I'd want him over Tony Scheffler but Heaps a beast. Something different to discuss at least.

heap is a beast... too bad he is always injured and spends more time on the sidelines than he does the playing field

I just looked at their stats....Heap did not have a good year last year. Guess injuries played a part. hmmmm But I've heard of him!

http://www.nfl.com/stats/categorystats?arc...e&Submit=Go

Heap has been slowed by injuries through the years but he actually was active for every game last season. It's too bad because the guy was a beast as a younger player. He spends most downs blocking at the line these days.