Just for Fun

BillsNYC

I'm tired of all the Cutler and TO talk so was looking at some mock drafts and figured it'd be interesting to compare the top DEs in the draft (from what I've read) with the top 5 sack leaders in NFL history in regards to size. The old guys might be misleading as their weight fluctuated over the years, but looks to be bigger the better.

Bruuuuce 6-4, 262lb

Reggie White 6-5, 285lb

Kevin Greene 6-3, 247lb (linebacker)

Chris Doleman 6-5, 287lb

Michael Strahan 6-5, 255lb

Maybin 6-4, 248lb

Brown 6-2, 256lb

Orakpo 6-3, 263lb

Jackson 6-4, 296lb

English 6-3, 255lb

I know nothing about the guys above, but thought it would spark conversation.

I don't think Tyson Jackson is ever going to be a dominating passrushing DE in the NFL. Hell, he wasn't even dominating in college.

I think he might end up being a pretty good DT, if he's stout(read: strong) enough.

I'm tired of all the Cutler and TO talk so was looking at some mock drafts and figured it'd be interesting to compare the top DEs in the draft (from what I've read) with the top 5 sack leaders in NFL history in regards to size. The old guys might be misleading as their weight fluctuated over the years, but looks to be bigger the better.

Bruuuuce 6-4, 262lb

Reggie White 6-5, 285lb

Kevin Greene 6-3, 247lb (linebacker)

Chris Doleman 6-5, 287lb

Michael Strahan 6-5, 255lb

Maybin 6-4, 248lb

Brown 6-2, 256lb

Orakpo 6-3, 263lb

Jackson 6-4, 296lb

English 6-3, 255lb

I know nothing about the guys above, but thought it would spark conversation.

Where are Erik Flowers stats?......

I don't think Tyson Jackson is ever going to be a dominating passrushing DE in the NFL. Hell, he wasn't even dominating in college.

I think he might end up being a pretty good DT, if he's stout(read: strong) enough.

I just heard that Tyson Jackson absolutely bombed at his pro-day. Take it for what it's worth, I haven't had the chance to research it.

I just heard that Tyson Jackson absolutely bombed at his pro-day. Take it for what it's worth, I haven't had the chance to research it.

I think it is pretty clear that he isn't that athletic, but from what I've seen from him, I see him as a mauling sort of DE, very stout against the run, helps force sacks by collapsing the pocket, a very physical player. Sort of like in the mould of a Chris Canty.

Probably could even play DT in a 4-3 Alignment.

Having said that, I wouldn't be surprised if he dropped out of the first round.

I'm tired of all the Cutler and TO talk so was looking at some mock drafts and figured it'd be interesting to compare the top DEs in the draft (from what I've read) with the top 5 sack leaders in NFL history in regards to size.

To a point this is a situation where size matters ... in combination with strength and speed. Bruce was clearly a freak of nature because he brought all of these to the table. He was arguably small for the position but keep in mind he carried no body fat after his rookie year. He was a machine and probably the best pure rusher the NFL has ever seen in spite of all the top 10 lists that suggest otherwise.

There is always trends and breaking the trend going on in the NFL- at first someone thinks I'll get bigger OTs to handle the DEs , so the Defense guys think well I'll get bigger DE's - which make the offensive guys look for even bigger OTs - suddenly a trend breaker thinks hey these OT's are huge but they don't move that well lets try small really quick DE's- if it's successful then smaller quicker DE's is the new trend and maybe the guys on offense start looking for smaller more athletic OTs.