Bright Lights Question

plenzmd1

So in the last couple of years, I have been driving a lot more for my job, and I like to take back roads if time is not a concern. I absolutely long for the days when the brights on/off was on the floor, instead of a knob off the steering column. Just way easier to hit that knob with your foot, and seems to me safer to. My only thought is that maybe people hit the brake or clutch instead of the bright clicker, but I think having to take your hand off the wheel can be even more dangerous.

Can anybody explain to me why this change took place? I googled and did not find anything, so turn to the genius on this board for answers to one of the most pressing questions in my life right now

Can anybody explain to me why this change took place?

Several reasons...

It was long, a feature of some foreign cars. That carried some cachet in the marketplace.

Advances in technology allowed for more functionality to be included in the column stalks...high beams, wiper functions, cruise control. The close proximity to the wheel is safer, not less so.

The foot button installation required piercing of body metal. Holes, edges, are prime corrosion spots.

The button switch itself was in corrosive territory - slush brought into the footwells.

Adding the function to a column stalk reduced part count - the switch, the fasteners, the wiring. Also the costs associated with engineering, sourcing, stocking, and installation at the assembly plant.

Several reasons...

It was long, a feature of some foreign cars. That carried some cachet in the marketplace.

Advances in technology allowed for more functionality to be included in the column stalks...high beams, wiper functions, cruise control. The close proximity to the wheel is safer, not less so.

The foot button installation required piercing of body metal. Holes, edges, are prime corrosion spots.

The button switch itself was in corrosive territory - slush brought into the footwells.

Adding the function to a column stalk reduced part count - the switch, the fasteners, the wiring. Also the costs associated with engineering, sourcing, stocking, and installation at the assembly plant.

That's all you could come up with? :lol:

I can think of 2 reasons, but I don't think either is particularly valid, at least anymore.

1) is that it simplifies wiring. You don't need to divert some of the wiring to a separate switch then back b4 sending it out to the body harness(es).

2) A switch on the floor is more subject to exposure to the elements & is more likely to fail. Rusted out floor panels as well as water from the feet or possibly even accumulation in the footwell.

Again, I don't think either of those things are much of an issue these days, but they probably were when the change was initially made maybe 30 or so yrs ago.

edit : I basically agree w/ Cincy above. His post wasn't up when I started writing this. Honest.

I only have to take one finger off the wheel to click the bright lights.

You must have small hands. :lol:

HAHA, truer words never have been spoken. On all days for you to bring that up.

umm im not going to lie (maybe because ive never used that method) but it seems 4000% simplier to just click back your light knob on the steering column but thats just me
True, but what if you have a phone/burger/beer/J/anything else thats bad/ in your one hand, that means having to take your other hand off the wheel, hense the safety issue.

But thats part of what gets to me, to much stuff on that column and especialy in rentals half the time i hit the brights when I want wipers on, I do not know I've turned them on and that makes it damgerous for the folks coming the other way.

...I will add, however, that I despise power windows.

I'm with ya on that one, my friend! A true hubris moment is when you can't even open your window because the everlovin' motor is shot. I don't remember ever in my life complaining that it was too hard to manually roll a window down. I suppose if you were someone with abnormally weak arms (e.g., Chad Pennington), you could make the case that technology has embiggened our lives in this case.

:lol:

I'm with ya on that one, my friend! A true hubris moment is when you can't even open your window because the everlovin' motor is shot. I don't remember ever in my life complaining that it was too hard to manually roll a window down. I suppose if you were someone with abnormally weak arms (e.g., Chad Pennington), you could make the case that technology has embiggened our lives in this case.

The real complaining starts when you begin to peel off multiple Benjamins to replace a switch gang or a motor.

Or if you are so unfortunate as to take a trip into the drink.

I can't stand those newfangled electric starter motors either - never had to worry about a dead battery with the old reliable crank starter. :devil: