Cocktail Ideas

Chef Jim

After moving to SF a couple of months ago the wife and I have been exploring the local bar scene. We've been having a blast seeing is don't drive anywhere. I park my car Friday after work and don't use it until Monday. We either walk or take public transportation unlike SoCal where you drive everywhere. So anyway the bars here have some very interesting and well thought out drinks. So I decided that after spending $12-$14 for a cocktail I'd start experimenting at home. Well being a chef and not a mixologist I've started playing around with ingredients in food like spices or herbs. I made a lavender simple syrup and made a drink with vodka, lavender, cranberry and lime. Also a drink with gin, rosemary, lime and soda. I plan on trying some other weird concoctions this weekend. Any ideas or favorites that include herbs, spices etc?

After moving to SF a couple of months ago the wife and I have been exploring the local bar scene. We've been having a blast seeing is don't drive anywhere. I park my car Friday after work and don't use it until Monday. We either walk or take public transportation unlike SoCal where you drive everywhere. So anyway the bars here have some very interesting and well thought out drinks. So I decided that after spending $12-$14 for a cocktail I'd start experimenting at home. Well being a chef and not a mixologist I've started playing around with ingredients in food like spices or herbs. I made a lavender simple syrup and made a drink with vodka, lavender, cranberry and lime. Also a drink with gin, rosemary, lime and soda. I plan on trying some other weird concoctions this weekend. Any ideas or favorites that include herbs, spices etc?

Something with Whiskey and suicide sauce?

Chef, can't really help you out with new cocktails, but dam speakeasy type places are getting way big here in DC. And I mean real speakeasy type, with no signs, etc you really have to know they are there to find them. there are at least 4 these places in and around DC now, and they are very popular and serving classic cockatils as well as their own concoctions.Seems like with that trend, the classic Sazerac has made a big comeback now that absinthe is again legal. Quick place for the recipe http://cocktails.about.com/od/s/r/szrc_cktl.htm

You may also want to google PX and The Gibson as see if they have any of their recipes on line. They make all of their own bitters, fruit concotions etc for their cocktails. Another place that does that is PS7 in the district. Just had a cocktail there a cou[le of weeks okay with Myers, a hint of Hisbiscus tea and and fresh mint. Was fabulous.

BTW, was in SF last week. Stayed at the Palace. Went to Towne Hall for dinner and the Buena Vista for breakfast. Towne Hall was good, perfect as we had four kids with us well. The braised pork shank was very good!

As a tip, we also stayed a nigt at the Ritz Half Moon Bay, now that place was just AWESOME

Chef, can't really help you out with new cocktails, but dam speakeasy type places are getting way big here in DC. And I mean real speakeasy type, with no signs, etc you really have to know they are there to find them. there are at least 4 these places in and around DC now, and they are very popular and serving classic cockatils as well as their own concoctions.Seems like with that trend, the classic Sazerac has made a big comeback now that absinthe is again legal. Quick place for the recipe http://cocktails.about.com/od/s/r/szrc_cktl.htm

You may also want to google PX and The Gibson as see if they have any of their recipes on line. They make all of their own bitters, fruit concotions etc for their cocktails. Another place that does that is PS7 in the district. Just had a cocktail there a cou[le of weeks okay with Myers, a hint of Hisbiscus tea and and fresh mint. Was fabulous.

BTW, was in SF last week. Stayed at the Palace. Went to Towne Hall for dinner and the Buena Vista for breakfast. Towne Hall was good, perfect as we had four kids with us well. The braised pork shank was very good!

As a tip, we also stayed a nigt at the Ritz Half Moon Bay, now that place was just AWESOME

The Buena Vista has become a Sunday morning ritual for us. Best Irish coffees ever. They spill more coffee and Irish whiskey in the hour we're there than most places serve in a week.

The Buena Vista has become a Sunday morning ritual for us. Best Irish coffees ever. They spill more coffee and Irish whiskey in the hour we're there than most places serve in a week.

I was shocked we got two tables for 4 with no wait on Saturday morning bout 9. Course we were in that little side room, but with 4 kids it was all good. Little pricey for breakfast, but the two Irish Coffees helped wipe away that little bit of irritant quite nicely.

Glad to hear you are enjoying yourself in SF, Chef.

I used to catch the cable car at Hyde & Lombard at take it to my office at Market & 2nd - what a great way to get to work every day.

I don't have a drink recipe for you, but have you found your way to the North Star yet? You'll love it during Bills season.

I used to catch the cable car at Hyde & Lombard at take it to my office at Market & 2nd - what a great way to get to work every day.

I don't have a drink recipe for you, but have you found your way to the North Star yet? You'll love it during Bills season.

Have not been to North Star yet but walked by it on one of our many walks around the city (I've eaten and drank my way accross the city and lost 10 pounds) and said waaaaaaaaaiiiiiiiiiiiit a minute, that place sounds familiar. Will check it out durning football season.

I have become a fan of sake vodka mixes. Try infusing a mid level vodka with basil or mint and serving it in a 2 to 3 portion with a good mid level sake. If you want to make it look pretty float a smal basil leaf on it. Serve very chilled in Martini glass Mint can also work well in this recipe.

One funky suggestion unfortunately I cannot vouch for because I haven't made the time to sit down and make it.

1. The B-L-Tini. I don't know if this is well known in more metropolitan areas, but I came across a recipe online for this drink made from tomato water and bacon vodka :devil: . There are tons of websites detailing how to create both (although I'm sure as a former chef, you probably have a good idea). The bacon vodka is basically 1. Take vodka 2. Add bacon 3. Let it sit for a while. 4. Strain. It could be a complete abortion but something about bacon flavored booze sounds incredible to me.

Anyway, here is a blog I found for the bacon vodka.

And here is one talking about the B-L-Tini.

2. I got a copy of the Food & Wine "Cocktails 2008" book for Christmas. It is basically a collection of creative drinks taken from dozens of bars throughout the country. And since you mentioned wanting to use spices and such, it involves a lot of that. For example:

Hibiscus Petal - thai basil, OJ, lime juice, simple syrup, hibiscus vodka (similar idea to the bacon vodka only with dried hibiscus leaves).

Pick up a copy...you might find a bunch of out-of-the-box ideas that aren't contained in your standard "1001 Drinks" handbooks.

Finally, good call on Buena Vista. I had few Irish Coffees there during a SF trip back in college. I was 19 at the time and I've never been grilled harder on a fake ID. I was with both my parents at around 9pm on a weeknight and this seemingly sweet waitress interrogated me for like 10 minutes. It was bizarre. Didn't seem to go with the vibe of the place at all.

One funky suggestion unfortunately I cannot vouch for because I haven't made the time to sit down and make it.

1. The B-L-Tini. I don't know if this is well known in more metropolitan areas, but I came across a recipe online for this drink made from tomato water and bacon vodka ;) . There are tons of websites detailing how to create both (although I'm sure as a former chef, you probably have a good idea). The bacon vodka is basically 1. Take vodka 2. Add bacon 3. Let it sit for a while. 4. Strain. It could be a complete abortion but something about bacon flavored booze sounds incredible to me.

Anyway, here is a blog I found for the bacon vodka.

And here is one talking about the B-L-Tini.

2. I got a copy of the Food & Wine "Cocktails 2008" book for Christmas. It is basically a collection of creative drinks taken from dozens of bars throughout the country. And since you mentioned wanting to use spices and such, it involves a lot of that. For example:

Hibiscus Petal - thai basil, OJ, lime juice, simple syrup, hibiscus vodka (similar idea to the bacon vodka only with dried hibiscus leaves).

Pick up a copy...you might find a bunch of out-of-the-box ideas that aren't contained in your standard "1001 Drinks" handbooks.

Finally, good call on Buena Vista. I had few Irish Coffees there during a SF trip back in college. I was 19 at the time and I've never been grilled harder on a fake ID. I was with both my parents at around 9pm on a weeknight and this seemingly sweet waitress interrogated me for like 10 minutes. It was bizarre. Didn't seem to go with the vibe of the place at all.

Well getting nailed for pouring underage is a biggie. Especially for an institution like the BV.

I like the hibiscus idea. But the B -L- tini........ :lol:

Well getting nailed for pouring underage is a biggie. Especially for an institution like the BV.

For sure...I just think of the hundreds of places that fake worked without so much as a second glance. And then trying to get an after dinner drink with my parents is when I get the third degree.

I like the hibiscus idea. But the B -L- tini........ :lol:

;)

Yeah the B-L-T thing is pretty out there. Like I said, it could be a total failure. But I was thinking about it like a different take on a Bloody Mary.