Need some advice for my little 2 1/2 yr old girl

HelloNewman

She is a smart and bright little girl with only on exception. We are in the middle of potty training (4-6 months now)She seems to have trouble telling us when she has to go pee-pee. She literally waits until the last minute despite Mommy and Daddy's reminders to tell us when she feels like she has to go. By then it is too late and we are dealing with a mess. If we notice she is dancing or have not gone in an hour or two we plop her on the can and she goes. We as parents give her lots of encouragement and praise when she does go but she will not tell us before it is too late and she gets upset about it.

Any parents out there have any suggestions? Thanks much

set a timer for 30-45 minutes. Every time it goes off, she goes to the bathroom and tries, no matter what she's doing. Eventually, you'll catch her during a time when she wants to keep playing rather than go to the bathroom. She'll probably tantrum, but send her anyways. If she goes, reward her. If not, make her stay for a few minutes (or till she stops tantruming). She'll realize that she needs to use the bathroom when she has to go rather than when she's forced to go and you'll break the cycle.

I don't have any kids of my own, but i did stay at a holiday inn express last night.

set a timer for 30-45 minutes. Every time it goes off, she goes to the bathroom and tries, no matter what she's doing. Eventually, you'll catch her during a time when she wants to keep playing rather than go to the bathroom. She'll probably tantrum, but send her anyways. If she goes, reward her. If not, make her stay for a few minutes (or till she stops tantruming). She'll realize that she needs to use the bathroom when she has to go rather than when she's forced to go and you'll break the cycle.

I don't have any kids of my own, but i did stay at a holiday inn express last night.

The timer bit is also recommended here.

Also, in the John Rosemond articles I've seen on the subject, for tantrums re: potty training, it's often effective to say "Doctor X said that you have to..." (and in your case, "go to the bathroom as soon as you feel you might need to"). Sometimes when they act out against the parents' authority, they will relent a little less against the words of "the doctor says..." (amazing how people, little ones not the only ones, will sometimes listen to/follow advice of a stranger more than people they know) and it provides you a bit of a cop-out.

She may be too young yet. Some children need more time to recognize when they have to go. If she is having accidents on a constant basis you may want to take a break from the potty training for a few weeks. It may prevent her from stressed and embarrassed about having accidents. Some kids don't "get it" until about 3 year old.

She is a smart and bright little girl with only on exception. We are in the middle of potty training (4-6 months now)She seems to have trouble telling us when she has to go pee-pee. She literally waits until the last minute despite Mommy and Daddy's reminders to tell us when she feels like she has to go. By then it is too late and we are dealing with a mess. If we notice she is dancing or have not gone in an hour or two we plop her on the can and she goes. We as parents give her lots of encouragement and praise when she does go but she will not tell us before it is too late and she gets upset about it.

This behavior is normal. I'm a father of a 5 year old girl. She did the same exact thing. We even ask our Doctor about it. She said that there is a saying. If you start potty training at the age of 2 they will be completly trained when they 4. If you start training when they are 3 they will be completly trained when they are 4.

I felt like our daughter was the last of our friends to be potty trained. It turns out that most parents are fudging the facts about what they consider potty training. We had friends that announced that their son (age 3) was potty trained. I remember thinking OMG our daughter is developmentaly behind! Turns out the those parents consider 2-3 accidents and sleeping with a pullup to be potty trained. :unsure: The really important thing is to not make it a power struggle. :thumbsup: Setbacks happen depending on the mood of your daughter - There is a really good video that you and your daughter can watch call "Potty Power" It helps reinforce the message of listening to your body and other stuff... Find a good book about potty training - and read it to her every night.

From personal experience I can tell you that a light bulb will go off for your daughter... and she will become potty trained almost over night.

Keep up the praise. Try not to get mad when accidents happen.

Good luck

Nick

Every time she has an accident, just give her a good spanking..she will learn real quick!! JUST KIDDING. I truly forget how we potty trained, and my kids are only 9 and 7. Someone mentioned Rosemond, and I liked that guys book. Not saying my kids are perfect, far from it, but that guy just has really good suggetions.

Funny story, my daughter (the 9 yr old) potty trained pretty quick for when she was awake, but would wet the bed prolly 5 out of 7 nights so we kept her in pull ups. Once her brother started potty training about a year after her, he had no accidents at night, and I mean never. Funny how once her brother was getting all kinds of high 5 s etc about not having an accident in his bed, hers stopped immediatly.

We went through the same thing ... my daughter (now 5) has gotten better, but even now she still waits until the last minute, then when she has to go ... you have like 3 minutes to find a bathroom ... 5 minutes top. When we go somewhere, we make sure she goes before we leave.

We went through the same thing ... my daughter (now 5) has gotten better, but even now she still waits until the last minute, then when she has to go ... you have like 3 minutes to find a bathroom ... 5 minutes top. When we go somewhere, we make sure she goes before we leave.

My son was potty trained by the time he was 2. & when I say potty trained I could count the times on my one hand since then that he has had an accident in bed. He is going to be 5 in April.

We did not do anything special, he just decided one day he did not want to wear diapers anymore & that was that. I guess we just lucked out. Made our life a hell of alot easier though.

& no, my post is not to indicate that my kid is somehow some super intelligent kid for figuring out how to go to the bathroom on the toilet. Reading these post just made me realize how lucky we were with our son when it comes to potty training.

my son and daughter were both potty trained by age 1, (they wore pull-ups at night) Each time they went to the head they were allowed to place a sticker on the potty. Sometimes the sticker ended up on the bathtub or cabinet but the end justified the means