Kirk Chambers "Stats"

BillsNYC

Good breakdown of Chambers, and some cool stats comparing him, Preston, and Peters. They say Peters gave up closer to 9 sacks.

Mentions although he played better at guard than tackle, the sample size for guard was too small. However, it says overall a better player than Preston and could play guard.

http://www.buffalorumblings.com/2009/3/15/...ine-review-kirk

Good breakdown of Chambers, and some cool stats comparing him, Preston, and Peters. They say Peters gave up closer to 9 sacks.

Mentions although he played better at guard than tackle, the sample size for guard was too small. However, it says overall a better player than Preston and could play guard.

I like where he said, "My theory is that the Bills will swing Brad Butler over to left guard, meaning the open hole will shift to right guard." This makes sense. Butler is nasty and this just be the better position for him anyways. If we were to move Walker to LT and Butler to LG it would shift our most experienced players to the more difficult side of our line to play. Would Chambers and Bell be able to man the right side of the line at G and T? That's what we don't know and if that's what our braintrust are considering.

I also would like to mention that OL Kevin Shaffer was cut by Cleveland. His position was mostly on the right side of the line and I think that he could be of use to us and would be a good insurance policy at this time.

I thought Kirk Chambers did a very good job last year considering this was his first stint with the Bills. I think he proved to be valuable, I see him more as quality depth, that can step in and do the job when called upon. I don't know quite enough about him to know if he can step in and be a starter, but I do know that last year, he did show promise last year with the exception of the Dolphins game.

According to the breakdown that the www.buffalorumblings.com site had of him, which btw was very imformative, he looks as if he could step in at the gaurd position if need be. Great site the Buffalo rumblings has

there was an article by Ross Tucker about a year back where he stated that RG was actually a more important position than LG. So by that logic our better player at guard should be playing on the right side.

i even found the link

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/writ...rankings/1.html

Nice job. Now that you brought it up I do remember reading that article. It's all very interesting. I'm not against the thinking that we just might have most, if not all, of the pieces that we need on the OL even without Peters.

I like to obsess on stats as much as the next guy but as interesting as this analysis is, there are some apparent flaws. I would be more interested to see the stats for these guys over the last 2-3 years, not just last year. In this analysis, we are comparing Peters' worst year with what was likely Preston's and Chambers' best year. Quaility of opposition matters and the game situation matters. True, that should even out over time but the sample size for Chambers and Preston is much smaller, perhaps too small. Otherwise, one would have to conclude that Peston is almost as good at pass blocking at guard as Peters is at tackle. Sometimes an absurd result is not abusrd, just a surprise. Sometimes however, an absurd result means the methodology was flawed.

Still, fascinating to read none the less if taken for what it is worth so thanks for the link and thanks to the guy who did all that work to compile the info for our benefit.

there was an article by Ross Tucker about a year back where he stated that RG was actually a more important position than LG. So by that logic our better player at guard should be playing on the right side.

i even found the link

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/writ...rankings/1.html

Interesting point about the center position. Hangartner makes a lot of sense if one adheres to the logic here -- extremely smart and experience playing for a successful offense.

Interesting point about the center position. Hangartner makes a lot of sense if one adheres to the logic here -- extremely smart and experience playing for a successful offense.

It's also interesting that some fans have their dander up and are attacking Peters for everything gone wrong, yet there was a guy at C making the line calls that couldn't remember the snap count or when the QB was in the shotgun. :thumbsup: Just saying...