Wiping/reloading my computer

Just Jack

Since it's been a couple years, what should I load in terms of virus protection, etc? I currently have a copy of Norton Corporate so it's up to date, even though it's more than 5 years old. Already got Firefox ready. Anything else I should add? Oh, and it'll be XP for the OS.

Since it's been a couple years, what should I load in terms of virus protection, etc? I currently have a copy of Norton Corporate so it's up to date, even though it's more than 5 years old. Already got Firefox ready. Anything else I should add? Oh, and it'll be XP for the OS.

Just a heads up about the Norton corporate edition. Things have changed a lot in five years. Although you are able to get the latest virus definitions, the program does not check for spyware and malware etc. You may want to think about going with Norton 360 or Internet securuty. The 2009 versions don't take up nearly as much memory as previous versions and they will provide firewall, spyware, browsing protection etc.

I use AVG Free, Lavasoft's Ad-Aware, and Windows Defender.

Also Comodo firewall per Dean's recommendation - it co-exists well with the native XP firewall.

I invoke FF's Clear Private Data tool frequently when on line, deny all cookies, history - and invoke XP's disk clean at least once a day. Disk defrag once a week.

I use firefox with adblock plus, which does an excellent job of blocking spyware.

I use defender and the windows firewall which comes with vista.

I use avast for my antivirus.

I have not tried avg 8, but i've heard that its sluggish. Avast is not. I know for a fact that norton is very sluggish. If I were you i'd roll with a free AV solution and just use the built in windows firewall.

I have not tried avg 8, but i've heard that its sluggish. Avast is not. I know for a fact that norton is very sluggish. If I were you i'd roll with a free AV solution and just use the built in windows firewall.

Agreed. I used to be a big AVG fan, but now I install Avast for my clients. It just seems to work better.

Off the top of my head, here's some other things to install:

Open Office

Irfanview (image viewer)

Folding@Home (help cure Alzheimers)

A nice wallpaper from http://www.digitalblasphemy.com

Love me some OpenOffice. That's all I've used on this computer since I got it in July; haven't even bothered firing up the MS Office trial version.

And between the newspaper gig and the previews for this place, I've already worn about half the letters off the keyboard, so you know I'm putting it through its paces ... :thumbsup:

AV: Avira Antivir or avast! are very, very good programs...and free. The protection is superior to nearly every other product. Nod32 is also a very good, but pricey, option.

Avira is the lightest, fastest of the two. Avast! has more options, and can scan at boot, which is very nice.

I wouldn't bother installing the Norton. I know you paid for it, but it isn't worth installing, IMO.

I'll PM you a list of my other recommendations.

Got Avast, Home edition 4.8 and it says it's in demo mode. Is that correct? I thought the home version was free to use, and the pro version was the demo for 60 days.

Did you download it from here?

http://www.avast.com/eng/download-avast-home.html

It's been a while since I downloaded and installed avast, but I think you may need to register, and get a key, via email, to unlock the full free edition.

Did you download it from here?

http://www.avast.com/eng/download-avast-home.html

It's been a while since I downloaded and installed avast, but I think you may need to register, and get a key, via email, to unlock the full free edition.

correct.. the key is good for one year, then you just resubmit another registration form and they e-mail you another key.

AV: Avira Antivir or avast! are very, very good programs...and free. The protection is superior to nearly every other product. Nod32 is also a very good, but pricey, option.

Avira is the lightest, fastest of the two. Avast! has more options, and can scan at boot, which is very nice.

I wouldn't bother installing the Norton. I know you paid for it, but it isn't worth installing, IMO.

I'll PM you a list of my other recommendations.

Dean,

Could you add me to that PM? I can use some help with these security things.

Thanks

Why wouldn't you post them in the thread asking for suggestions....? :thumbsup::unsure:

I figured most have already read too much of this crap. But...OK

Here are a few things I recommend for a Windows computer. Most are security, but some are general apps that are free (and extremely good), more secure than the standard program that most use, or lighter/less intrusive than the standard program.

Antivirus:

Note you should only use one active AntiVirus program. If you currently have Norton or McAfee, you should use the removal tools made for the product, before installing a new AV. Google 'Norton product remover' or 'mcafee product remover' and download the uninstallers. Don't use Windows Add/Remove Programs, to remove those products.

As previously discussed, the best antivirus products, IMO, are Avira and Avast!

I use Avira, as it typically has the highest detection rates, and is very light on the system. It's so good it's very hard to believe that it is free. No registration necessary. I set it to update once a day, and scan once a week.

Avast!. Nearly as good as Avira, it has more features, and has the option to scan the computer on bootup. I'm not a fan of it's interface, which is so overly simple, that it's hard to find the details, at least it is for me. Some of the extra features, include email protection and Instant Messaging monitoring.

Two good paid products are Nod32, which is very pricey ($80/year?)...but a top quality AV and VIPRE (from Sunbelt Software). I should note that I haven't really used VIPRE much, but I have a lot of respect for the company, and it gets some pretty good reviews. It is inexpensive, and might be a good choice if you have multiple computers, as you can buy a site license for your home and pay one price ($50/year?) for all the computers in your house. I really would like to test VIPRE, but Avira is too good to replace, IMO.

Firewall:

Windows has a built in firewall. Vista's is pretty good, XP's not so much. Some people replace Window's firewall with a better product.

Comodo is the best available, and it's free. Do NOT install the toolbar they try to pass off as a security toobar. It is the ASK toolbar and it sucks (just uncheck the option to install, when it is presented). Great product, but it might drive you crazy taming it. I use Comodo, but turn the sensitivity down low. Still, it's frustrating, at times.

Online Armor is also very good. The paid version is sensational. The free version is limited, and nowhere as complete as Comodo. It also can drive you crazy with warnings.

Zone Alarm. Not as good as the two above, but better than Windows XP's built-in firewall. Pretty easy to download and install. Avoid the security suite they offer...if you can't, don't use it.

Antimalware:

While Avira does a fine job of catching most malware, it is considered an AntiVirus, exclusively (same for Avast). It is good to have some sort of active programming for monitoring, and a good scanner, or two, to run manually to look for adware, spyware, etc.

Malywarebytes Antimalware. Free to try, and free for scanning. If you want to use the active protection, you have to pay a one-time price. I update and scan with this about once a month, on my clean machine.

SuperAntiSpyware: Another good product (free for scanning), with an active option. I use the free version and update and scan monthly.

There are some free active programs that help protect you in real time. I use Spybot Search and Destroy's active monitoring (called “tea timer” or “Resident”). It doesn't really detect malware, but alerts you to behavior that is often exhibited by malware.

Another similar product (to the tea timer) is SpywareGuard, by Javacool.

I'd also download and install Javacool's Spywareblaster. Doesn't “run”, but immunizes your system against known bad sites and products. (Spybot S&D also has an immunization function that is quite good. I use both)

All Window computer should have WinPatrol. Monitors even more settings than the others, and is indispensable as a control panel to adjust startup programs, activeX, browser add ons, etc. Free version is fine, but the Plus version supplies more information and helps you understand things more. (I think it's one payment of $30)

Add WOT (Web of Trust) to your browsers, too. It's free. It helps you stay away from dangerous websites.

Other stuff...all Free:

Firefox, as Jack mentioned, is the best browser, IMO. I would play with the add-ons, as some are really cool (depending on what you do on the web). AdBlock Plus is a must, IMO...so is NoScript.

Google Chrome is a really fast browser, but I don't think it is safe enough, yet, to be your full time browser.

When you get your computer set up, run Malwarebytes Startuplite. It will tell you which startup programs are safe to disable. Truth is, even more can be disabled, and you can play with those using WinPatrol, if you wish.

Revo Uninstaller. Better, more complete, than the one built into windows.

Auslogics Defragmenter. Faster, and better than the one built into windows.

Ccleaner. Cleans out cookies, temp files, junk files, etc. Also has a good, safe. Registry fixer

(always say “yes” to making a backup before fixing registry errors...just in case. Be sure to UNCHECK the prechecked installation of the Yahoo toolbar.

Foxit: Faster, safer and less annoying than Adobe Reader. Make sure to UNCHECK the prechecked Firefox Toolbar (actually the ASK toolbar) installation.

Unless you use iTunes, consider replacing Quicktime, with Quicktime Alternative. Also, get rid of the Real player and install Real Alternative.

If you don't own Microsoft Office, Open Office is a fantastic free alternative.

Picasa (from Google) is an awesome free image/photo editing program.

Note: Always be careful when you download these programs. Sometimes the biggest “Download” sign, if for a different, crappy product, that is advertising on the page. Also, be sure to unchecked toolbars, and other programs you don't need, before installing. Some good safe downloading sites (

if the download isn't on the home site of the product) are:

Download.com

Filehippo.com

Majorgeeks.com

Anyway, these are just some suggestions. Hope some of them help.

I've always hated rebuilding my OS, and I'm hard on a system, so I have to redo it every 9 to 12 months ... I highly recommend gosting (Norton Ghost, Acronis DiskImage). I bought a Seagate hard drive that came with a stripped down version of Acronis that only does ghost images ... cool thing is, one you get your system reinstalled and ghosted, you can rebuild it in about 5-10 minutes next time.

I've always hated rebuilding my OS, and I'm hard on a system, so I have to redo it every 9 to 12 months ... I highly recommend gosting (Norton Ghost, Acronis DiskImage). I bought a Seagate hard drive that came with a stripped down version of Acronis that only does ghost images ... cool thing is, one you get your system reinstalled and ghosted, you can rebuild it in about 5-10 minutes next time.

Another good option is Windows Home Server. One of the features it provides is whole system backup -- so you install a system from scratch, tell WHS to back it up and keep that backup forever. When you want to rebuild, just use that original install.

Other added benefits are: Automatic backups of all files on your system, the ability to go back in time with files (ie: you modify a file and realize a day later that you didn't want to make that change -- you can roll it back to before you made the change), "mirroring" of all files on the server (if you have at least two disks), etc. Very handy - and only $100 (plus the cost of another computer -- but if you have an old one laying around, you can easily use that -- WHS doesn't use many resources).

Filehippo.com great site, get the update checker

love picasa (googles photo program)

still use spybot search and destory (found on filehippo)

defraggler (found on filehippo)

I use logmein a lot also (lets you log into work or home computers)

I've been using openoffice as well without any problems