Constitutional Law Question on Electoral College

spidey

I have seen on TV folks claiming we could end up with Bush/Edwards if we have electoral tie. But is there anything in constitution that says the house or senate must vote for one of the candidates? Could we see an interesting thing of a dead tie and than moderates of both parties kick out the radicals and start leaning toward centrists like McCain and Liberman? Could we see a true political revolution occur or are the electoral reps required to vote for someone who ran for office???

I have seen on TV folks claiming we could end up with Bush/Edwards if we have electoral tie.  But is there anything in constitution that says the house or senate must vote for one of the candidates?  Could we see an interesting thing of a dead tie and than moderates of both parties kick out the radicals and start leaning toward centrists like McCain and Liberman?  Could we see a true political revolution occur or are the electoral reps required to vote for someone who ran for office???

97369[/snapback]

Theoretically they can vote for anyone. In practice, they're not going to piss off their party by breaking with either of the chosen golden children.

Theoretically they can vote for anyone.  In practice, they're not going to piss off their party by breaking with either of the chosen golden children.

97578[/snapback]

Actually Tom I had time to look it up and you are wrong :D , what I read says president is for one of top 3 electoral vote getters and VP for one of top two.

Actually Tom I had time to look it up and you are wrong  :D , what I read says president is for one of top 3 electoral  vote getters and VP for one of top two.

97898[/snapback]

Not the first time I've been wrong...but it doesn't happen often. Gloat while you can. :P:D