Pats sign Joey Galloway

Maybe two years ago. Galloway's a dinosaur.

Per KFFL.com

Patriots | Galloway to serve as No. 3 receiver

Sat, 14 Mar 2009 17:30:07 -0700

Len Pasquarelli, of ESPN.com, reports the New England Patriots recruited WR Joey Galloway under the premise that he will play a key roll in the offense as the team's No. 3 receiver and they will be a Super Bowl contender in 2009.

Not much downside but a bunch of upside to this signing for the Pats. Galloway is a broken foot last year away from having 4, back to back 1k yard receiving seasons. And this wasn't with Tom Brady tossing him balls.

Paired up with Moss and Welker, Galloway could be unstoppable against nickel backs.

Not much downside but a bunch of upside to this signing for the Pats. Galloway is a broken foot last year away from having 4, back to back 1k yard receiving seasons. And this wasn't with Tom Brady tossing him balls.

Galloway played in 9 games and started 4, and had 13 receptions for 138 yards and no TD's, and he was a broken foot away from having 4 back-to-back 1k receiving seasons? LOL!

And he had Antonio Bryant across from him taking away attention, while Brady is coming back from a major injury. He'll at best be a replacement for Gaffney as the outside receiver, but Moss and Welker will still get the majority of the passes.

Galloway played in 9 games and started 4, and had 13 receptions for 138 yards and no TD's, and he was a broken foot away from having 4 back-to-back 1k receiving seasons? LOL!

And he had Antonio Bryant across from him taking away attention, while Brady is coming back from a major injury. He'll at best be a replacement for Gaffney as the outside receiver, but Moss and Welker will still get the majority of the passes.

The reference to Galloway's consecutive 1k yards production was to note that, prior to getting hurt last year, Galloway was producing at a very high level the 3 previous seasons - averaging 67 catches for 1118 yards and 7 TD's.

I think it's obvious that Galloway wasn't signed with the goal to supplant Moss or Welker as the 1-2 in NE. He was signed as the #3 WR, specifically to matchup against nickel backs in the role that Gaffney provided I suppose. But Gaffney never produced to the level that Galloway has. If Galloway can stay healthy he's a monumental improvement over Gaffney and will cause DC's headaches as they look to matchup their nickel backs against this guy.

The reference to Galloway's consecutive 1k yards production was to note that, prior to getting hurt last year, Galloway was producing at a very high level the 3 previous seasons - averaging 67 catches for 1118 yards and 7 TD's.

I think it's obvious that Galloway wasn't signed with the goal to supplant Moss or Welker as the 1-2 in NE. He was signed as the #3 WR, specifically to matchup against nickel backs in the role that Gaffney provided I suppose. But Gaffney never produced to the level that Galloway has. If Galloway can stay healthy he's a monumental improvement over Gaffney and will cause DC's headaches as they look to matchup their nickel backs against this guy.

I gotta agree with Pneumonic. Too many people here on this board are downplaying his ability. Thank God the Bills Coaching staff and players don't feel the same way you guyz do. He did have back to back 1000 yard seasons before last season. Also, just so people know, even the games he played last year, their were many games where he was playing with a Hammy, so that did hamper his play.

Galloway in the slot. That scares me.

The guy knows how to get open, he's crafty, quick, undoubtedly lost a step, but still dangerous.

If he is healthy, this will be a very good pickup for the Patriots

I gotta agree with Pneumonic. Too many people here on this board are downplaying his ability. Thank God the Bills Coaching staff and players don't feel the same way you guyz do. He did have back to back 1000 yard seasons before last season. Also, just so people know, even the games he played last year, their were many games where he was playing with a Hammy, so that did hamper his play.

The guy knows how to get open, he's crafty, quick, undoubtedly lost a step, but still dangerous.

He's also 37 years old (will be 38 in November). While Jerry Rice played until that age productively, very few NFL receivers do. I'm not too scared of this move, unless the Pats* break out the HGH, which, considering their history, wouldn't surprise me in the least....

A lot of people are downplaying his ability, hence the reason he took a 1-year deal to be the #3 WR with the Pats, after visiting several teams and finding no better offers (like say, the Steelers). And my point with saying he didn't even come close to 1,000 yards last year despite playing 9 games is that at his age, staying healthy will be an issue, as will staying productive. This move no more scares me than them adding Taylor and Springs, 2 other guys well into their 30's and coming-off unproductive seasons, for whatever reason.

A lot of people are downplaying his ability, hence the reason he took a 1-year deal to be the #3 WR with the Pats, after visiting several teams and finding no better offers (like say, the Steelers). And my point with saying he didn't even come close to 1,000 yards last year despite playing 9 games is that at his age, staying healthy will be an issue, as will staying productive.

Obviously health is the key. An unhealthy Galloway won't be a productive Galloway. That's why I prefaced things by saying that "if" Galloway stays healthy he'll be trouble. But I'm not about to claim that I can predict the future and figure out the health status of Galloway for next season.

What I do know is that if Galloway is healthy and playing the #3 spot against nickel backs, the Pats will have 3 wideouts who can all beat single coverage almost all of the time. Realizing that one of them will be singled up on almost every single down, I suspect that a surgeon like QB like Brady will carve up defenses like no tomorrow.