RIM to hire thousands this year

millbank

RIM To Hire Thousands

BlackBerry maker Research In Motion is ushering in thousands of new employees this year, hoping to gain an edge over its competitors by hiring tech gurus laid off by others in slower parts of the technology sector.

The Waterloo-based company has emerged as one of the rare Canadian companies growing operations during the economic downturn, with plans to add about 3,000 new workers in 2009 and increase its workforce to about 15,000.

Founder and co-chief executive officer Mike Lazaridis said his company isn't battening down the hatches as it weathers the recession, but rather looking for ways to grow. "This is the easiest time to say, 'I have to be very careful and wind down my investments,"' he said

- RIM great place to work. Its does have a number of U.S locals, for those looking why not send in a resume.

They can start by creating a phone that can compare to the iPhone that will run on Verizon. That means also enabling the creation of a universe of useful apps. Sorry. The Blackberry Storm is no where near the iPhone. Get back to the drawing board.

PTR

They can start by creating a phone that can compare to the iPhone that will run on Verizon. That means also enabling the creation of a universe of useful apps. Sorry. The Blackberry Storm is no where near the iPhone. Get back to the drawing board.

PTR

Some would beg to differ.

Exactly. I can't stand the iPod Touch (which is, in essence, an iPhone without the calling functionality). I love my Blackberry Pearl though.

Again I would appreciate any hard examples of why one is better than the other. I have an iPod Touch and I consider it the Swiss Army knife of the 21st century. I'd marry it if I could.

PTR

PTR

You're right, the Blackberry Storm is nowhere near the iPhone, its better.

Again I would appreciate any hard examples of why one is better than the other. I have an iPod Touch and I consider it the Swiss Army knife of the 21st century. I'd marry it if I could.

PTR

Having neither, but reading quite a bit about both, I think it may depend on what you do with your phone.

I'm looking at all the options, but I totally discount video, music, camera and some other considerations, as I have no interest in using that functionality.

For me, email ability, document editing. calendar/scheduling and PHONE are what is most important, to me.

For those who have used both, what is best for what I need?

Having neither, but reading quite a bit about both, I think it may depend on what you do with your phone.

I'm looking at all the options, but I totally discount video, music, camera and some other considerations, as I have no interest in using that functionality.

For me, email ability, document editing. calendar/scheduling and PHONE are what is most important, to me.

For those who have used both, what is best for what I need?

Depends on what you want to do with it. Do you want to do strictly IMAP, or do you want to hook it up to an Exchange server?

Depends on what you want to do with it. Do you want to do strictly IMAP, or do you want to hook it up to an Exchange server?

No exchange, at the moment.

Again.....why?

PTR

Biggest reason is BES support instead of ActiveSync. BES is true push email, while ActiveSync is a weird hybrid push/pull email solution. BES uses much smaller amounts of data and works much quicker, in addition to BES reporting features, policy control (remote locking and wiping of devices if they are stolen and the like). BES and the Blackberry offer a much more seamless corporate email solution than Apple does. That being said, the Storm is probably the Blackberry I'd like to get the least (the Bold is what I'd much rather have). The other apps on the Blackberry work better as well, with less application lag, less crashing, and better overall "work" tools. This is why I said the Blackberry is far ahead.

From the standpoint of a phone that is also an entertainment device, if this is what you are going for, Apple wins. They obviously can't match the gaggle of games and entertainment devices the iPhone offers. But until the iPhone catches up on the productivity end, they won't compete with the Blackberry - and quite frankly they haven't really tried all that much to do so.

No exchange, at the moment.

The iPhone's IMAP implementation is much better than the Blackberries. With the BB, you can't really sync up sent folders and other such things IMAP normally provides (the BB's BIS stuff is more like 'smart pop3' than it is IMAP). Both, however, will sync with Outlook when you hook it up to a computer. If you don't necessarily care about IMAP folders, and want the possibility of Exchange, the BB is the better choice for email.

And I'd never get an iPhone just because that on screen keyboard is horrific. I'd likely buy one if they had a real keyboard, as my phone is more of an communication/entertainment device for me (less of a corporate productivity device).

The iPhone's IMAP implementation is much better than the Blackberries. With the BB, you can't really sync up sent folders and other such things IMAP normally provides (the BB's BIS stuff is more like 'smart pop3' than it is IMAP). Both, however, will sync with Outlook when you hook it up to a computer. If you don't necessarily care about IMAP folders, and want the possibility of Exchange, the BB is the better choice for email.

And I'd never get an iPhone just because that on screen keyboard is horrific. I'd likely buy one if they had a real keyboard, as my phone is more of an communication/entertainment device for me (less of a corporate productivity device).

That's a big deal for me, too. I'm not a touch-screen keyboard guy. Plus, I want the ability to open and edit word, and excel, files.

Thanks for the explanation. Even though I use my iPod Touch for mobile e-mail, I don't handle documents like most business folks do so the e-mail functionality is fine for me. Dean, I have no trouble using the iPhone/iPod keyboard at all. My Verizon phone is an LG Dare and I have more trouble with that keyboard. I've tried the BB Storm at the Verizon store and it drove me nuts...so slowly and sloggy compared to what I used to with my Apple device. What I love most about the Apple are apps that let me listen to online streaming audio (does BB allow you to do that?) and the fact that I can do 95% of what I need to do, including type, with just the thumb of my hand that's holding the device.

PTR

Thanks for the explanation. Even though I use my iPod Touch for mobile e-mail, I don't handle documents like most business folks do so the e-mail functionality is fine for me. Dean, I have no trouble using the iPhone/iPod keyboard at all. My Verizon phone is an LG Dare and I have more trouble with that keyboard. I've tried the BB Storm at the Verizon store and it drove me nuts...so slowly and sloggy compared to what I used to with my Apple device. What I love most about the Apple are apps that let me listen to online streaming audio (does BB allow you to do that?) and the fact that I can do 95% of what I need to do, including type, with just the thumb of my hand that's holding the device.

PTR

I hear ya. Again, though. Game apps, music apps, video....don't care about any of it.

The one thing that the iPhone has that really appeals to me, is a great web interface, which I can see myself using.

PTR

The iPod Touch has no buttons.... So it's hard to figure out how to use it, IMHO. For example, when I'm listening to music and trying to do something else, how do I adjust the volume without going back into the music app? I found a way once -- some random touching of the screen, I believe -- but now I can't remember how to do it anymore. The Pearl has (gasp!) volume control on the side. Physical buttons = easier interface in most instances.

As others have said, physical keys are also very important -- it's easier to type when you have a tactile response (which is why I wouldn't consider the Storm either). There's a reason good keyboards "click" when you type.

I also despise the proprietary iTunes application - it's a complete pig on a PC, and then Apple tries to isntall a dozen other applications at the same tmie (I exaggerate, but not by much). MediaMonkey is a good alternative to getting music onto the iPod Touch, but you can't load apps/firmware with it.

Lastly - the screen gets all streaky with fingerprints on the Touch because, well, you touch it. Make sure you keep the cleaning cloth it comes with nearby! :cry:

It's obviously a personal preference.

(anyone want to buy an 8G iPod Touch? :thumbsup: )