Corporations fleeing US to low tax Switzerland

ZUG, Switzerland, March 12 (Reuters) - The tidy towns and mountain vistas of Switzerland are an unlikely setting for an oil boom.

Yet a wave of energy companies has in the last few months announced plans to move to Switzerland -- mainly for its appeal as a low-tax corporate domicile that looks relatively likely to stay out of reach of Barack Obama's tax-seeking administration.

And the jobs start leaving....

http://www.reuters.com/article/rbssEnergyN...ndChannel=10452

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Good! Actually great!

Just don't let their products or services back into the country. In no time start-up US based companies will be clamoring to jump into the void left. Of course if you want true patriotism, void their trademarks and intellectual property rights. You really see the sharks eat the sharks for a piece of the pie.

:rolleyes:

Of course I am joking... Tear it down to build it up. Why cater to the the defectors.

I read it. I understood it.

The main point stands - companies are relocating to other jurisdictions to avoid a tax trap. They are moving from Bermuda, Cayman, etc to Switzerland. But the move is out of fear of new tax laws. Did you guys understand that?

The main point stands - companies are relocating to other jurisdictions to avoid a tax trap. They are moving from Bermuda, Cayman, etc to Switzerland. But the move is out of fear of new tax laws. Did you guys understand that?

Didnt' you and I debate the legality of this action? I believe you brought up Coca-Cola, but you never answered my question when I said, "what makes an American company?" If you're relocating to avoid American taxes, how can you still be considered an "American Company?" It's not a critical question, it's a pragmatic one, one I'm actually curious about. What makes an "American" company "American?"

Except the guy from the town, the head of the tax office, said it isn't really a jump in companies moving there, but "We are not reckoning on an unusually strong boom, but a continual and sustainable growth on the scale of the last few years and decades," Jud said.

Now the are motivated by just the "fear of new taxes." :rolleyes::lol:

Big freaking news.

Companies always move to avoid taxes, even after they get a big tax break for some years. What is new? The only thing that will stop it is if all taxes are wiped out, and that is not going to happen. :w00t: The only thing that can be done do now is put up some protections. The hen house is open wide and the fox has control of the whole yard to roam as they feel fit.

Didnt' you and I debate the legality of this action? I believe you brought up Coca-Cola, but you never answered my question when I said, "what makes an American company?" If you're relocating to avoid American taxes, how can you still be considered an "American Company?" It's not a critical question, it's a pragmatic one, one I'm actually curious about. What makes an "American" company "American?"

Yes, I do recall your ridiculous comments. Ok, let's say Coca Cola is not an American company, and it decides that since it earns 75% of its revenues overseas, it splits itself up, and incorporates the international arm in Switzerland, and moves 75% of its corporate staff there.

Sure looks like a winning strategy to me. But boy, you won the class war and taught the evil tax dodger a lesson.

One day you will learn that you might make a lot more money if you charge less for something, because maybe more people will buy it. Same analogy with taxes. You gain nothing but buy votes from a gullible population that thinks raising taxes on success is a good way to boost revenues.

Yes, I do recall your ridiculous comments. Ok, let's say Coca Cola is not an American company, and it decides that since it earns 75% of its revenues overseas, it splits itself up, and incorporates the international arm in Switzerland, and moves 75% of its corporate staff there.

Sure looks like a winning strategy to me. But boy, you won the class war and taught the evil tax dodger a lesson.

One day you will learn that you might make a lot more money if you charge less for something, because maybe more people will buy it. Same analogy with taxes. You gain nothing but buy votes from a gullible population that thinks raising taxes on success is a good way to boost revenues.

You didn't even remotely address my question. But I appreciate the condescension.

You gain nothing but buy votes from a gullible population that thinks raising taxes on success is a good way to boost revenues.

But....the best way to ensure my own success is to have the government keep increasing taxes on anyone more successful than me, right?

:rolleyes: