Obama taking the steps to accomplish the one thing I care about for th

From Democracy Now!:

Van Jones to Advise Obama on Green Jobs

The Obama administration has tapped author and activist Van Jones to become a special adviser for green jobs, enterprise and innovation. Jones is expected to start work next week. He is author of the bestselling The Green Collar Economy, which lays out a plan for a green economy he says could help solve the nation’s economic inequality while also addressing the long-term environmental threats to our survival as a planet. Jones is the founding president of Green for All and the founder of the Ella Baker Center for Human Rights. That group challenges human rights abuses within the US criminal justice system

I wish I had more time at work to read up on this guy. Can anyone offer some objective insight into the details of his ideas?

From Democracy Now!:

I wish I had more time at work to read up on this guy. Can anyone offer some objective insight into the details of his ideas?

Just found an 1 hr 40 min lecture by this guy that I'm going to listen to once I finish up hearing the news. :thumbsup:

Well, he probably wants to tax carbon producing industries, and give the money to "green industries".

Doubling the cost of electricity....

I look forward to confirming and/or disproving your theory.

I have a feeling I'll be disproving it.

Then where do you think the money is going to come from to fund this government department?

That's your response to everything, so I'm just going to keep giving you the same answer:

So long as we have the $$ to outspend the WORLD on defense, there's no sense pissing and moaning about other government projects which require minimal dollar ammounts by comparison.

I don't want to have the "government shouldn't be responsible to pay for this and that" debate again because your way of thinking requires a complete idealogical paradigm shift. So, rather than complain and pontificate (God, I hate that that word keeps coming up) about the way government spending SHOULD be, let's just try and exist in the reality of how government spending ACTUALLY is. If you need a refresher:

Link

Link

Link

Then where do you think the money is going to come from to fund this government department?

Oh, that's easy. Put a camera in everyone's house, and if you don't recycle properly, you get taxed. If you don't use the right light bulbs, you get taxed. Leave the water running while you brush your teeth? TAX! And the beauty of the plan is, it only pertains to the people who actually own the house, so if it's a rental property, and the poor people who can't afford to live green or buy their own house don't obey the laws, it's okay because the tax laws wouldn't apply to them. Only to the owner of the property.

It's a usage kind of thing...kinda like the roads and gas.

Honestly, I should stop right here before some bleeding heart sends this farcial idea to Obama and Pelosi and they decide to run with it.

I look forward to confirming and/or disproving your theory.

I have a feeling I'll be disproving it.

Since most of our electricity in this country is generated by dirty evil coal, what do you think the companies that generate electricity will do when they get taxed because they use coal?

Here's a hint.

Check your electric bill for something called a fuel adjustment.

Here's a Q&A interview of him from October.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2008/10/20/v...e_n_135928.html

Read the article real quick. On the surface he seems to have a decent stance and set of ideas. The article really didn't get into the details....I'll await Big Cat's report.

One piece I didn't care for:

The Center for American Progress and PERI just put out a "Green Recovery" report. It showed that a $100 billion federal investment would create two million new, green-collar jobs -- in just TWO years.

Does anyone really thing, these institutes really don't have an agenda, or that their report accuracy/depth is really up to par? Not just from this article, but everyone justifies their stance with a report or findings put together by a bunch of jokers from an independent think tank. Now I'm painting with a broad brush, but the studies from these "tanks" that I've actually taken the time to look at tend to be shoddy at best, specifically when it comes to stating a correlation as a causal.

Okay, his lecture was nothing I haven't already heard. It was from 2007, shortly after he championed The Green Jobs Act of 2007--signed by GWB.

He basicaly asserts that the building of a green economy should be a means for ending poverty by making the movement about just that--BUILDING. His point is that if you're going to greenify a country like ours, SOMEBODY has to build it--that's where those 2 million jobs come from that another poster alluded to.

He says it's all about communities, that it has to happen at the micro level, and he used Chicago as an example- citing Daley's plan to install a sh-t load of solar panels throughout the city, but that all solar panels purchased HAVE to be made in Chicago.

GWB gave him $125M. How that's been aportioned (if it's been aportioned) since then is unbeknownst to me.

From Democracy Now!:

Why on earth would you come to THIS forum for OBJECTIVE INSIGHT?! :(

From Democracy Now!:

I read the quote in your thread. From that I can tell you something about him:

Commie.

There was no picture so I can't tell if he is a hippy commie or just a regular one.

Also, Mr. Jones would tell you--when building the NEW green economy--you don't measure what you SPEND, you measure what you SAVE. Since he's coming at it from a socio-economic motivation, said savings could be HUGE (in his terms).

The problem with that is in government math the spend is always waaaay more than anticipated and the save is waaaaaay below what they anticipated.

And so that is why every budget the government creates (any government) never balances.

The problem with that is in government math the spend is always waaaay more than anticipated and the save is waaaaaay below what they anticipated.

And so that is why every budget the government creates (any government) never balances.

True, but since Jones is using the BUILDING of an economy as a means for racial/economic equality in this country, the so-called savings include a porpotional decrease in welfare programs, crime prevention/punishment, and so on. So, essentially the "savings" he's referring to are practically incalculable given staggered and lengthy stretch of time that his vision of equality will come to fruition.

Does that makes sense?

True, but since Jones is using the BUILDING of an economy as a means for racial/economic equality in this country, the so-called savings include a porpotional decrease in welfare programs, crime prevention/punishment, and so on. So, essentially the "savings" he's referring to are practically incalculable given staggered and lengthy stretch of time that his vision of equality will come to fruition.

Does that makes sense?

You just implied that minorities makeup the bulk of welfare rolls and police blotters.

RACIST!!! RACIST!!! RACIST!!! RACIST!!! RACIST!!! RACIST!!! RACIST!!! RACIST!!! RACIST!!! RACIST!!! RACIST!!! RACIST!!! RACIST!!! RACIST!!! RACIST!!! RACIST!!! RACIST!!! RACIST!!! RACIST!!! RACIST!!! RACIST!!! RACIST!!! RACIST!!! RACIST!!! RACIST!!! RACIST!!! RACIST!!! RACIST!!! RACIST!!! RACIST!!! RACIST!!! RACIST!!! RACIST!!! RACIST!!! RACIST!!! RACIST!!! RACIST!!! RACIST!!! RACIST!!! RACIST!!! RACIST!!! RACIST!!! RACIST!!! RACIST!!! RACIST!!! RACIST!!! RACIST!!! RACIST!!! RACIST!!! RACIST!!! RACIST!!! RACIST!!! RACIST!!! RACIST!!! RACIST!!! RACIST!!! RACIST!!! RACIST!!! RACIST!!! RACIST!!! RACIST!!! RACIST!!! RACIST!!! RACIST!!! RACIST!!! RACIST!!! RACIST!!! RACIST!!! RACIST!!! RACIST!!! RACIST!!! RACIST!!! RACIST!!! RACIST!!! RACIST!!! RACIST!!! RACIST!!! RACIST!!! RACIST!!! RACIST!!! RACIST!!! RACIST!!! RACIST!!! RACIST!!! RACIST!!! RACIST!!! RACIST!!! RACIST!!! RACIST!!! RACIST!!! RACIST!!! RACIST!!! RACIST!!! RACIST!!! RACIST!!! RACIST!!! RACIST!!! RACIST!!! RACIST!!! RACIST!!! RACIST!!! RACIST!!! RACIST!!! RACIST!!! RACIST!!! RACIST!!! RACIST!!! RACIST!!! RACIST!!! RACIST!!! RACIST!!! RACIST!!! RACIST!!! RACIST!!! RACIST!!! RACIST!!! RACIST!!! RACIST!!! RACIST!!! RACIST!!! RACIST!!! RACIST!!! RACIST!!! RACIST!!! RACIST!!! RACIST!!! RACIST!!! RACIST!!! RACIST!!! RACIST!!! RACIST!!! RACIST!!! RACIST!!! RACIST!!! RACIST!!! RACIST!!! RACIST!!! RACIST!!! RACIST!!! RACIST!!! RACIST!!! RACIST!!! RACIST!!! RACIST!!! RACIST!!! RACIST!!! RACIST!!! RACIST!!! RACIST!!! RACIST!!! RACIST!!! RACIST!!! RACIST!!! RACIST!!! RACIST!!! RACIST!!! RACIST!!! RACIST!!! RACIST!!! RACIST!!! RACIST!!! RACIST!!! RACIST!!! RACIST!!! RACIST!!! RACIST!!! RACIST!!! RACIST!!! RACIST!!! RACIST!!! RACIST!!! RACIST!!! RACIST!!! RACIST!!! RACIST!!! RACIST!!! RACIST!!! RACIST!!! RACIST!!! RACIST!!! RACIST!!! RACIST!!! RACIST!!! RACIST!!! RACIST!!! RACIST!!! RACIST!!! RACIST!!! RACIST!!! RACIST!!! RACIST!!! RACIST!!! RACIST!!! RACIST!!!

You just implied that minorities makeup the bulk of welfare rolls and police blotters.

RACIST!!! RACIST!!! RACIST!!! RACIST!!! RACIST!!! RACIST!!! RACIST!!! RACIST!!! RACIST!!! RACIST!!! RACIST!!! RACIST!!! RACIST!!! RACIST!!! RACIST!!! RACIST!!! RACIST!!! RACIST!!! RACIST!!! RACIST!!! RACIST!!! RACIST!!! RACIST!!! RACIST!!! RACIST!!! RACIST!!! RACIST!!! RACIST!!! RACIST!!! RACIST!!! RACIST!!! RACIST!!! RACIST!!! RACIST!!! RACIST!!! RACIST!!! RACIST!!! RACIST!!! RACIST!!! RACIST!!! RACIST!!! RACIST!!! RACIST!!! RACIST!!! RACIST!!! RACIST!!! RACIST!!! RACIST!!! RACIST!!! RACIST!!! RACIST!!! RACIST!!! RACIST!!! RACIST!!! RACIST!!! RACIST!!! RACIST!!! RACIST!!! RACIST!!! RACIST!!! RACIST!!! RACIST!!! RACIST!!! RACIST!!! RACIST!!! RACIST!!! RACIST!!! RACIST!!! RACIST!!! RACIST!!! RACIST!!! RACIST!!! RACIST!!! RACIST!!! RACIST!!! RACIST!!! RACIST!!! RACIST!!! RACIST!!! RACIST!!! RACIST!!! RACIST!!! RACIST!!! RACIST!!! RACIST!!! RACIST!!! RACIST!!! RACIST!!! RACIST!!! RACIST!!! RACIST!!! RACIST!!! RACIST!!! RACIST!!! RACIST!!! RACIST!!! RACIST!!! RACIST!!! RACIST!!! RACIST!!! RACIST!!! RACIST!!! RACIST!!! RACIST!!! RACIST!!! RACIST!!! RACIST!!! RACIST!!! RACIST!!! RACIST!!! RACIST!!! RACIST!!! RACIST!!! RACIST!!! RACIST!!! RACIST!!! RACIST!!! RACIST!!! RACIST!!! RACIST!!! RACIST!!! RACIST!!! RACIST!!! RACIST!!! RACIST!!! RACIST!!! RACIST!!! RACIST!!! RACIST!!! RACIST!!! RACIST!!! RACIST!!! RACIST!!! RACIST!!! RACIST!!! RACIST!!! RACIST!!! RACIST!!! RACIST!!! RACIST!!! RACIST!!! RACIST!!! RACIST!!! RACIST!!! RACIST!!! RACIST!!! RACIST!!! RACIST!!! RACIST!!! RACIST!!! RACIST!!! RACIST!!! RACIST!!! RACIST!!! RACIST!!! RACIST!!! RACIST!!! RACIST!!! RACIST!!! RACIST!!! RACIST!!! RACIST!!! RACIST!!! RACIST!!! RACIST!!! RACIST!!! RACIST!!! RACIST!!! RACIST!!! RACIST!!! RACIST!!! RACIST!!! RACIST!!! RACIST!!! RACIST!!! RACIST!!! RACIST!!! RACIST!!! RACIST!!! RACIST!!! RACIST!!! RACIST!!! RACIST!!! RACIST!!! RACIST!!! RACIST!!! RACIST!!! RACIST!!! RACIST!!! RACIST!!! RACIST!!! RACIST!!! RACIST!!! RACIST!!!

I weep for your keyboard.