Maybe we Should Take Michael Johnson

H2o

Watched him play against FSU. He had the talent to absolutely dominate at that level -- but was very inconsistent. One play he could make an incredible play, the next he would be non existent. I think I would take Brown, Jackson or Ayers over him -- but wouldn't be disappointed if we ended up with him either.

Jackson is a 3-4 DE, He's too big to fit our scheme unless he learns to play DT too. I do agree however that Brown may be a better pick then Johnson but neither Ayers nor Jackson really fit what we need in this draft.

Robert Ayers 2008 stats - 49 tackles, 33 solo, 3 sacks Career stats - 112 tackles, 73 solo, 9 sacks

Michael Johnson 2008 stats - 45 tackles, 27 solo, 9 sacks Career stats - 113 tackles, 65 solo, 20 sacks

I like Ayers and all, but he hasn't shown the ability to get to the QB like talking about. Everyone's throwing the "man love" around for this guy without looking at his lack of production in rushing the passer. Last time I checked, a guy that CAN get to the QB is what we need around here. I would like to have Ayers as well if he was to be had in the 2nd, but that's looking more and more less likely. Johnson had as many sacks last season as Ayers has for his whole college career. I'm not bashing Ayers, I'm just saying that all of the "love" he's getting doesn't seem that justified. He had an excellent Senior Bowl week, sure, but is that supposed to overshadow what he actually accomplished while on the field at Tennessee in 4 years? I don't know, you tell me.

Agreed Johnson will not be there at the 42nd pick of this draft. He will go in the first or the top few picks of round 2.

Jackson is a 3-4 DE, He's too big to fit our scheme unless he learns to play DT too. I do agree however that Brown may be a better pick then Johnson but neither Ayers nor Jackson really fit what we need in this draft.

Can anyone say Eric Flowers..he was the combine warrior DE that we wasted a number one pick...we need to learn from past mistakes!

This draft's Vernon Gholston.

I think one could make the argument that Johnson was more productive than Gholston in college. Johnson played more in his college career and far surpasses Gholston in TT.

Gholston was the typical "Mamula pick" last year. He had one good game against Jake Long and had a great combine. But, football wise he was a tweener in college; he played the Leo in OSU's defense and was recruited as a LB. He totally disappeared on film in many games. So, you have a guy that is LB sized, but who doesn't have the fluidity to play LB and they were hoping his speed and strength would make him a good (actually, great is more accurate since he was a top 10 pick) pass rusher, even though his ability to shed blocks was questioned. Unfortunately for him everybody is an athlete in the NFL.

The bottom line is we need a DE. Does anybody besides KnockOut30 think Maybin is a legit 4-3 DE? My guess is 'no'. The scouts are saying that E. Brown might be better suited, like Maybin, to be a 3-4 OLB, which worries me. He'll probably be gone by #11 anyway. Orakpo certainly is, and Robert Ayers not only ran a 4.8 40 (which wouldn't necessarily disqualify him) but had three sacks last year. We can definitely get Johnson later in the 1st round and stockpile picks, so why not trade down, grab this guy (he is unquestionably a 4-3 DE with tremendous upside and considerably better production than an Ayers) maybe get another 1st round pick (if Philly will trade with us, which is questionable) and get maybe a Jared Cook in the second round? This is all speculation, of course - if we don't sign a June or Keiaho to play OLB and a Simmons or Goff to play LG this all goes out the window. I'm still holding out hope we can trade for Julius Peppers, of course...

The bottom line is we need a DE. Does anybody besides KnockOut30 think Maybin is a legit 4-3 DE? My guess is 'no'. The scouts are saying that E. Brown might be better suited, like Maybin, to be a 3-4 OLB, which worries me. He'll probably be gone by #11 anyway. Orakpo certainly is, and Robert Ayers not only ran a 4.8 40 (which wouldn't necessarily disqualify him) but had three sacks last year. We can definitely get Johnson later in the 1st round and stockpile picks, so why not trade down, grab this guy (he is unquestionably a 4-3 DE with tremendous upside and considerably better production than an Ayers) maybe get another 1st round pick (if Philly will trade with us, which is questionable) and get maybe a Jared Cook in the second round? This is all speculation, of course - if we don't sign a June or Keiaho to play OLB and a Simmons or Goff to play LG this all goes out the window. I'm still holding out hope we can trade for Julius Peppers, of course...

Don't get caught up in semantics- 3-4, 4-3....they are very similar. You adjust how people line up and who they stand in front of based on how much talent each player on the line has. If you have talent, you take advantage of it- hand up or down

Don't get caught up in semantics- 3-4, 4-3....they are very similar. You adjust how people line up and who they stand in front of based on how much talent each player on the line has. If you have talent, you take advantage of it- hand up or down

Congratulations - that's the dumbest thing I've ever heard on this board. If you want a 234 lb. DE in your 4-3 good luck, let me know how that works.