Matthew Stafford maybe the #1 overall selection to Detroit

Magox

If he is the #1 Selection of the draft, there is a good chance that someone will want to scoop up Sanchez with their first round draft choice before we pick. If that is the case, then it does improve our chances at acquiring Everett Brown, Orapko or Raji with our #1.

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/Home_NFL.aspx?rwr=1

"All signs point to (a) quarterback" being the Lions' pick at No. 1 overall, according to Mike Lombardi of the National Football Post.

The Lions' beat writers have also warmed to the idea after initially predicting GM Martin Mayhew would focus on defense. Mayhew doesn't appear to be disguising his plans by doing nothing to upgrade at QB so far this offseason.

I haven't seen a single mock draft with the Lions taking a defensive player. I've seen taking only a QB or OT. If anything I think this hurts our chances. If Stafford drops, then someone takes him over Sanchez, then Sanchez drops and teams trade up to get him, letting a defensive lineman slip.

I haven't seen a single mock draft with the Lions taking a defensive player. I've seen taking only a QB or OT. If anything I think this hurts our chances. If Stafford drops, then someone takes him over Sanchez, then Sanchez drops and teams trade up to get him, letting a defensive lineman slip.

i may have not understood what you are saying.

Are you saying that if Stafford get's picked, this hurts our chances at getting Brown, Orapko or Raji with the #11?

If that is what your saying, I don't see your logic. That would mean that Stafford is gone, and now there is only one other qb that could be considered before the #11 pick in Sanchez, as opposed to Stafford not getting picked and having two available.

i may have not understood what you are saying.

Are you saying that if Stafford get's picked, this hurts our chances at getting Brown, Orapko or Raji with the #11?

If that is what your saying, I don't see your logic. That would mean that Stafford is gone, and now there is only one other qb that could be considered before the #11 pick in Sanchez, as opposed to Stafford not getting picked and having two available.

Yeah, that's what I'm saying. My thinking is this: if Detroit passes on Stafford they likely take OT Smith, agreed? Then there are two QB's available, Stafford and Sanchez. St. Louis has other issues and probably passes on the QB, KC has Cassel now and passes. Does Seattle draft the heir apparent to Hasselbeck already? I doubt it (although they could). Cleveland doesn't need a QB, neither does Cincy, and Oakland won't invest money in another QB while they have JaMarcus. I doubt Jax would while they have Garrard, Green Bay definitely won't. If Stafford begins to fall I think it would be very likely for a team to swoop in and grab him, displacing the team they trade with - if that team is Cleveland, Green bay, KC, etc. (i.e. a team that would have drafted defensively) we may find one of the big three drop.

what exactly does that prove? mock drafts dont mean a thing

It doesn't prove anything, except that the consensus is that no defensive player is worth the #1 overall pick. The ceiling on Raji seems to be the #3 pick; Orakpo the #4, E. Brown the #9. In every single mock I have seen it's been a QB or OT going to Detroit. If you know something about these players the rest of us don't, feel free to let us in on the secret...

Stafford's pro day will tell all. But right now, if I'm Detroit, I'm taking Aaron Curry.

If I'm a detroit fan I'm glad you're not gm. A lb who's not a pass rusher, and is stiff in coverage as the #1 overall player, at a position that's relatively easy to fill, coming off a year when you didnt win a single game?

Stafford's pro day will tell all. But right now, if I'm Detroit, I'm taking Aaron Curry.

He would have to show up at his pro day with no arms and legs for them to pass on Stafford.

In fact they would STILL likely pick him #1.

No one will trade with the Bills to take a QB. There is no need to jump past teams who wont be taking a QB anyways. Den, Wash, NO, Hou, and SD dont need a QB. A team may trade with Hou or SD to jump ahead of the Jets, Gears, Bucs, and Lions second pick, but there is no reason for a team to trade up that high for a player who will fall later.

You may see a team move ahead of the 9ers, and I hope they do so another player falls, but I dont think so.

I dont see why the Lions would take a QB #1. If they pass on a QB at 1, one of the top two could be had later on, maybe having to trade up for him but still a better alternative.