IMO 2010 Will Not Be An Uncapped Year.

The 2010 Season  

12 members have voted

1. 1. The 2010 season will be...

• An uncapped season that moves along as normal until the CBA is settled
    • A lockout until the CBA is settled
    • The CBA will be done before the 2010 season

The CBA will be remade by then or there will be an owners lockout. I'm extremely sure that an uncapped year will never happen because it's bad for the league and the union knows it. The success of the NFL is due to it's parity. In the long run it would be worse for the players.

So no intelligent agent is setting his client up for a huge payday in 2010 because new contracts may not happen until the middle of the 2010 season if it takes that long to settle the CBA.

IMO, the new CBA will include a rookie salary slotting for the draft. No matter what the union says publicly now they are all for it. The anti-rookie cap posturing is just so they have another bargaining chip. The %age of players revenue may drop a little in exchange for guaranteed contracts. The union will also try to get more leniency from the commissioner on suspensions.

The reason I feel the slotting system for draft picks will occur is that it helps everyone out. The union consists of veterans. The guys coming in have no say in the CBA. More money to be handed out to veterans is going to be a very popular idea. It will also make trading for the #1 pick a viable option because the #1 picks contract will already be slotted. Teams are loathe to trade into the top ten now due to cost of the contracts. This will help alleviate that concern IMO. Anything that draws more interest from the fan base is good for the union and trades definitely draw interest.

The guaranteed contracts will take the BS out of the contracts and let the players know exactly how much of the contract they will get. No more backloading that makes the contract appear a lot bigger than it actually is.

If anyone else has any thoughts on the CBA let us know. :blink:

2010, I believe is a bargained year, though uncapped. If an agreement isn't reached then the players will be locked out.

An old but pertinent article

Thanks, that's a good explanation but I'd have to think that the NFL has some tricks up it's sleeve. I doubt they'd do it but if they declared bankruptcy that would null and void all union contracts, IIRC.