1 year deal could set up TO

_ROOKIE_

Not necessarily:

http://www.stadiumwall.com/index.php?showtopic=84805

There may or may not be a clause in his contract which would prevent us from franchising him.

That's pure speculation.

You are speculating. I used the phrases "not necessarily" and "may or may not be." That means I am not speculating.

But others such as yourself are treating it as fact that "we could franchise him." That is speculation. If you were hedging you would have said "we could possibly franchise him."

This is an important issue and it's surprising to me that so few people care to know where the Bills and Owens stand on this.

No one will give him a mega deal, even if there is an uncapped season. In fact, so many teams are spending far below the salary cap.. that it won't matter. If anything, it could be WORSE for the players since there will be no salary floor.

You are speculating. I used the phrases "not necessarily" and "may or may not be." That means I am not speculating.

But others such as yourself are treating it as fact that "we could franchise him." That is speculation. If you were hedging you would have said "we could possibly franchise him."

This is an important issue and it's surprising to me that so few people care to know where the Bills and Owens stand on this.

I'd love to know. But the Bills are notoriously tight-lipped about contracts, so the best we can do is speculate.

I'd love to know. But the Bills are notoriously tight-lipped about contracts, so the best we can do is speculate.

You ain't kidding. I just sent a message to TG asking him if he'd heard anything on this point. Hopefully we'll hear something. It's actually a pretty important "little detail."

You ain't kidding. I just sent a message to TG asking him if he'd heard anything on this point. Hopefully we'll hear something. It's actually a pretty important "little detail."

I bet TG doesn't know. Heck I'm sure Chris Brown doesn't even know.

Not necessarily:

http://www.stadiumwall.com/index.php?showtopic=84805

There may or may not be a clause in his contract which would prevent us from franchising him.

I bet TG doesn't know. Heck I'm sure Chris Brown doesn't even know.

Tim said:

I'll check into it. I would be shocked if he had a clause like that. T.O. and his agent would be thrilled to get franchised. He would get the average of the top five highest-paid WRs. I doubt the Bills would be willing to pay that to a receiver who will be 36 by the end of the season. But I'll see what I can find out.

This is why he signed a 1 year deal, very smart on his part.

Don't believe for a minute that there will be an uncapped year. If the CBA is allowed to expire, there are many clauses that kick in that are very unfavorable to the players.

Here is more speculation......

There will be no uncapped year in 2010, or perhaps ever. An uncapped year might bring back a scenario where there is no league minimum. There might be 25 million dollar quarterbacks and 75 thousand dollar special teams players. I don't think that this would help the league or the union.

Also, we all know how bad the economy is. It would be foolish to play around with a situation that seems to work fairly well for both sides. Players are living large and owners have a built in profit. Something will be worked out where both sides look good. Imo that is a safe bet.