Former Bill Matt Bowen article on Owens and Jauron

Sorry if already posted. This is a great site btw:

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/2009/0...h-jauron-bills/

Great article. The part about T.O. making the defense better particular caught my eye. I wonder how his presence will effect McKelvin and Mcgee. I would imagine a 2nd year guy like LeoMac will learn a lot lining up across from either Evans or T.O. everyday in practice.

For those who think Jauron is simply a push-over, Bowen disagrees.

Interesting.

But I sure wish I knew how DJ holds his players "accountable":

"Yes, he’s a coach you want to play for and want to win for, but that doesn’t mean he doesn’t hold you accountable — because he does."

What does that mean? The player does not get a gold star next to his name for the week? The player gets sent to bed without dessert?

Interesting.

"Yes, he’s a coach you want to play for and want to win for, but that doesn’t mean he doesn’t hold you accountable — because he does."

What does that mean? The player does not get a gold star next to his name for the week? The player gets sent to bed without dessert?

I think it means he deals with the issues, in private, behind closed doors, the way professionals do.

Some of you guys think if a guy isn't screaming, or calling out players in front of reporters, then he isn't holding them responsible.

I'm not crazy about Jauron's decisions (or non decisions), and I wasn't happy that he was retained, but that has nothing to do with his ability to manage players.

"...but Jauron won’t let that “character” dismantle his view of winning."

I'm sorry, but that's exactly what I would hope TO can do. Because Jauron's view of winning has been killing us for 3 years sand counting.

"...but Jauron won’t let that “character” dismantle his view of winning."

I'm sorry, but that's exactly what I would hope TO can do. Because Jauron's view of winning has been killing us for 3 years sand counting.

Players love that Dick treats them as men.

unfortunately, most NFL players don't produce at their peak level when treated this way.

they respond as the prima donnas and thugs that they are - '

That's why coaches like Parcells get the most out of his players by not being their bud and allowing them to manlike slackers.

I've had enough of the politically correct way to coach and would much prefer a butt-kicker who wins

Sorry if already posted. This is a great site btw:

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/2009/0...h-jauron-bills/

I really liked the article ... well written and a bit of an "insiders view." Interesting that he pointed to Roscoe in the slot an not Reed ... small point. Liked the idea that having T.O. around could help to make the D better.

Interesting.

you do live up to your name.

I gotta give you that

Players love that Dick treats them as men.

unfortunately, most NFL players don't produce at their peak level when treated this way.

they respond as the prima donnas and thugs that they are - '

That's why coaches like Parcells get the most out of his players by not being their bud and allowing them to manlike slackers.

I've had enough of the politically correct way to coach and would much prefer a butt-kicker who wins

It has nothing to do with "political correctness" or "being their bud". Tom Coughlin, always a good technical coach, couldn't succeed, because he didn't treat his players as men. He had to change...the result? Super Bowl, in the first year of the new attitude.

Players will ruin a coach they don't respect, or one they hate. You have to be respected first, and no coach is going to get respect if he treats his players like dogs (or assumes they are thugs).

Now, of course that isn't the only thing that mattered, but even he admits it went a long way (saved his job, to be frank). Parcells isn't the bully that he is made out to be, either. The point it to treat men like men. Tell them what they need to do, and hold them accountable for their actions.

Jauron's problem isn't that he is to soft on his players. His problem is he makes s#itty gameday decisions and lets his offense, and defensive, play too passively.

According to TG (and I fully believe this), he also had lots of say wrt the drafts.

Which, I believe, have been pretty-to-very good. I know you disagree.

Of course Jauron is involved in the draft. I think there are very few, if any, head coaches who aren't actively involved with the draft.