If we draft a DE or LB in the first....

Virgil

I'm curious to know what you think would happen if either of these things happen:

1) Draft a DE - What happens to Ellis, Kelsay, or Denney. I know that a rotating defensive line is popular right now, but I can't see how the Bills could justify putting that much money into a line when everyone is splitting time. Kelsay is paid starting money, and you know a first round pick DE will make starting money also. In reality, I don't see anything happening since cutting Kelsay saves absolutely no money and Denney/Ellis don't make that much. Unless there is a trade that could happen, but I doubt it.

2) Draft a LB - I think we are pretty set with Mitchell and Poz. If we sign June or Peterson, does LB no longer get addressed in FA. Personally, I think what we do in FA will tell us exactly how our draft will go. If we sign either of those guys, then nothing.

Overall, I would love to see us trade down. If not, I've been so disheartened about this offseason until yesterday that I don't know who's really good in the draft, but I would like to see us go DT in the first. With Stroud getting double teamed all the time, another big guy in the middle can only free up more blitzes and ensure better looks for the ends.

I still wouldn't rule out Pettigrew. We do need a pass rusher but you have to think the Bills want to continue to improve the offense which was ranked 28th, versus the defense that was 14th. Schobel's healthy return will boost the sack numbers a bit too. I still expect the Bills to sign one of the free agent OLBs.

Let's not forget the Bills still have a need at both OG and C on that line, depending on where the plan to play Harngartner.

I think the Bills go C in the second round. From what I read, there are 3 quality guys available and atleast one of them should be available in the second.

And I know that if you read my other posts that this will sound like a broken record, but I think that the Bills drafting Pettigrew is a huge mistake. The guy blocks well and has good hands, but no speed or route running ability. Basically, a younger Robert Royal. I would rather take my chances on someone later in the draft. Besides, with TO, I think we will see our need for a Tight End deminish and I still think Derek Fine will surprise us.

If the Bills sign June, Keiaho, or a similar caliber player, of course they won't take a LB with #11. You want that player to be competing for a starting job or at the very least substantial playing time.

Actually, Denny makes quite a bit for an unproductive reserve DE. His cap hit for next season will be over $3 million. If the Bills take a DE with #11, that's a whole lot of money to be paying him, Kelsay, and Denney to be splitting time. They might be able to justify it if Schobel never returns to form, and sees relatively limited playing time.

I just went and read Kiper's Mock for the first time. While I don't agree with who he has us taking, I would love to see the top 10 pan out the way he has it. According to him, Raji would be there for us as 11 and Mach could be there in the second. With there being 3 quality TE's available in the draft, assuming we don't maybe trade for one, I think we could do something to get atleast one of them.

If we walked out of the draft with Raji, Mack, and one of those TE's, I'm good. I think it's too hard to predict the effectiveness of DE out of the draft and all the guys have question marks. Another strong DT opens up so much more in the way of blitzes and for our Ends, I think that is our best bet.

Also, on a side not, I can't help but notice how many solid OT's there appear to be. I have to wonder if that's not a surprise pick by the Bills in a trade down scenario. These guys usually are in short supply in a draft and this looks like a good year to get one. We have some versitile guys now and could move some people around to sound things up.

If the Bills sign June, Keiaho, or a similar caliber player, of course they won't take a LB with #11. You want that player to be competing for a starting job or at the very least substantial playing time.

Actually, Denny makes quite a bit for an unproductive reserve DE. His cap hit for next season will be over $3 million. If the Bills take a DE with #11, that's a whole lot of money to be paying him, Kelsay, and Denney to be splitting time. They might be able to justify it if Schobel never returns to form, and sees relatively limited playing time.

I just saw that too about Denney. Still, I'd rather see Kelsay go in a trade. Just way too much money....

I think the Bills are looking DE in the first. It's huge need for the team and I just don't see another key position of greater need. I would like to see them take Raji or Cushing in 1st it just feels like a better value. The DE's this year seem like a weak class. If Ayers and Johnson fall to the second round I think that is where the value is.

I think the Bills are looking DE in the first. It's huge need for the team and I just don't see another key position of greater need. I would like to see them take Raji or Cushing in 1st it just feels like a better value. The DE's this year seem like a weak class. If Ayers and Johnson fall to the second round I think that is where the value is.

I really hope that's not the case. We are obviously trying to make a run at something this year and need someone who can contribute immediately. I think the FO needs to do their job and find a DE in the later rounds or figure out to do with the guys they currently have forcing their hand.

We need to draft for need AND for value. No TE is worth the #11 pick. Orakpo or E. Brown should be the targets. Maybin will be a bust. I don't know much about this Raji guy, but if he's really a force and a steal at #11 (assuming he's available - the mock drafts I've seen have him going in the top 10) then I guess we could take him. I assume McCargo is gone soon anyway. Would you start him and Stroud, platooning in Johnson and K. Williams?? I didn't realize our rushing defense was 22nd in the league last year - that's not going to cut it.

I don't really know any of these guys besides the research I'm now doing and looking at videos. Raji looks to be a Pat Williams type and is coming out of a program that has produced solid talent lately. I've seen mock drafts that go either way. Basically, if the top 10 teams go offensive with the QB's going, then it's possible Raji could fall. But, if the teams don't go with the glamour pick, then I think it's a crap shoot.

I don't really know any of these guys besides the research I'm now doing and looking at videos. Raji looks to be a Pat Williams type and is coming out of a program that has produced solid talent lately. I've seen mock drafts that go either way. Basically, if the top 10 teams go offensive with the QB's going, then it's possible Raji could fall. But, if the teams don't go with the glamour pick, then I think it's a crap shoot.

If they could get Raji in the 1st, somehow Ayers in the 2nd and a TE (which there are quite a few decent ones) in the

3rd, we would be in good shape. I am assuming they will sign a LB in FA. I would also assume that they will go after a guard in FA as well.

We will be drafting Kelsay's replacement at LDE #1 on draft day. Mark it down. I still expect a LG and our LOLB to sign in FA, and I think we'll be OK w/ Derek Fine at TE. Josh Reed will blossom in the slot. TO just makes the team better all around. I never liked TO, but my goodness, what a master stroke, both in marketing and football-wise, by Russ. As Dick Enberg would say "Oh, My!!".........

Denny, was clearly our best (even if this isn't saying much) DE last year. To me, Kelsay is the far greater liability, talent wise and salary wise. Schobel is now at the age where players slow down, and with him coming off the foot injury that who knows if it healed or can withstand the stress, we better get ready to get some help at DE. When Denny, who is a solid backup player, is your best DE, it's time to make some moves. We need DE help, and I'm a firm believer that Chris Ellis isn't it. He was routinely buried by the opposition in the little time he got to play last year. He needs to get a whole lot stronger of his career could (and maybe should) be a very short one.

I actually could totally see the bills draft a DE and cutting Kelsay to get rid of his ridiculous contract when you consider that Denny is a Kelsay clone and you dont need two of those guys on the team.

We run a cover 2 defense......in the cover 2 you HAVE to get pressure with your down linemen so your corners can make plays without too much blitzing blitzing as your linebackers are back in coverage......we HAVE to find a way to generate pressure. While I hope that Aaron Schrobel returns to form you cannot count on that given the injuries....I really think the bills have NO CHOICE but to go DE in the first round. They will probably bring whoever that is in on a rotation (Everett Brown?) with Denny and Schrobel and obvious passing situations which hopefully there are a lot more of this year.

I think we absolutely have to go after one of these centers as there is just quality at that position this year. Also we need to plan for life after TO who I think there is no way he is here after this next year. A pass catching over the middle TE is a must.

To me our needs are really evident and there is a really good chance the draft will play out in our favor.

Let's not forget the Bills still have a need at both OG and C on that line, depending on where the plan to play Harngartner.

Pass rush and the remaining OL spot are the keys to next season. While a TE would be nice, I think we have enough wepaons to survive if we have the blocking. No blocking = Sacks = T.O. whine time