Owens' Transgressions

Fezmid

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Terrell_Owens#Controversy

I've heard some talk about Buffalo only taking "character" guys and how TO is ruining their image. After reading the list of his "issues," they're all very minor -- and none of them show that he's a bad citizen, only an egomaniac. He hasn't been arrested for drugs, he hasn't been found with a gun, he hasn't assaulted anyone (aside from spitting on Hall during a game), he hasn't really done anything that bad.

Part of it is the media focusing on everything he says/does. For example, the Bill Parcells thing where TO says he learned nothing from Parcells. Well, maybe that's true -- it's not the normal soundbites you here, but why is it so wrong to say? I can honestly say I didn't learn anything from my previous manager - why is this any different?

I don't like the celebration dances -- I prefer the Thurman Thomas reaction -- but if that's the worst thing he has going for him, who cares?

After reading into the transgressions, I'm liking this signing even more. Even if he is a cancer in the locker room, what's the worst that's going to happen? We'll miss the playoffs again? :thumbsup:

I just re-read all of the celebrations -- and while I don't remember seeing this one, obviously everyone here can appreciate it :thumbsup:

On September 16, 2007, Owens mocked Bill Belichick after catching a touchdown against the Miami Dolphins, by hiding behind a field goal post and holding the football to his face in a video camera fashion, as if secretly spying and filming the game. The Cowboys were penalized 15 yards for "excessive celebration". [4] On September 19, 2007, the league fined Owens $7,500 for the celebration. [5] According to Owens, he was only fined because he used the ball as a prop.[6]

I've heard some talk about Buffalo only taking "character" guys and how TO is ruining their image. After reading the list of his "issues," they're all very minor -- and none of them show that he's a bad citizen, only an egomaniac. He hasn't been arrested for drugs, he hasn't been found with a gun, he hasn't assaulted anyone (aside from spitting on Hall during a game), he hasn't really done anything that bad.

Part of it is the media focusing on everything he says/does. For example, the Bill Parcells thing where TO says he learned nothing from Parcells. Well, maybe that's true -- it's not the normal soundbites you here, but why is it so wrong to say? I can honestly say I didn't learn anything from my previous manager - why is this any different?

I don't like the celebration dances -- I prefer the Thurman Thomas reaction -- but if that's the worst thing he has going for him, who cares?

After reading into the transgressions, I'm liking this signing even more. Even if he is a cancer in the locker room, what's the worst that's going to happen? We'll miss the playoffs again? :thumbsup:

Exactly.

Scientific studies have shown cancer to have little effect on corpses. B-)

This a good point. There was even a funny BANG! cartoon about it here. The thug group (Pac Man, Vick, etc.) goofing on TO for thinking he's a 'bad boy'.

He's obviously an egomanic, but I don't expect to see him doing anything that would earn him a league suspension like a certain fan favorite in Buffalo.

This a good point. There was even a funny BANG! cartoon about it here. The thug group (Pac Man, Vick, etc.) goofing on TO for thinking he's a 'bad boy'.

He's obviously an egomanic, but I don't expect to see him doing anything that would earn him a league suspension like a certain fan favorite in Buffalo.

a suspension from the team, a suspension from the league...both are still suspensions

I just re-read all of the celebrations -- and while I don't remember seeing this one, obviously everyone here can appreciate it :thumbsup:

On September 16, 2007, Owens mocked Bill Belichick after catching a touchdown against the Miami Dolphins, by hiding behind a field goal post and holding the football to his face in a video camera fashion, as if secretly spying and filming the game. The Cowboys were penalized 15 yards for "excessive celebration". [4] On September 19, 2007, the league fined Owens $7,500 for the celebration. [5] According to Owens, he was only fined because he used the ball as a prop.[6]

There's an interesting story behind that one. He used to have a weekly radio show with Dan Le Batard in Miami, and they had listeners call in and give TO ideas for a TD celebration if he scored against the Phins. Sure enough he scored, and he did the celebration that someone called in with.

I love how everyone now is trying to justify what he has done in the past and making it seemlike it was all nothing. Ask his previous teams and they will all tell you that he isn't worth the headaches.

The only way off the field "leagal issues" effect a player is if it causes them to lose time on the field. The stuff TO pulls are worse because his issues are all with his team and on the field. But who cares right? He signed in Buffalo and of course things will be different because he is a big name andthe Bills signed him.

Remember Bills fans, you wanted this

Bellicheck could come here andbe the next Bills coach and the fans would do a complete 180 on him and praise him and say that anything in his past was nothing, and its not as bad as others might think.

I love how everyone now is trying to justify what he has done in the past and making it seemlike it was all nothing. Ask his previous teams and they will all tell you that he isn't worth the headaches.

The only way off the field "leagal issues" effect a player is if it causes them to lose time on the field. The stuff TO pulls are worse because his issues are all with his team and on the field. But who cares right? He signed in Buffalo and of course things will be different because he is a big name andthe Bills signed him.

Bellicheck could come here andbe the next Bills coach and the fans would do a complete 180 on him and praise him and say that anything in his past was nothing, and its not as bad as others might think.

I'd stop watching the team if Bellicheck came here.

But TO? He's an egomaniac, but not a bad citizen so who cares? If TO pulls his usual stuff and the team blows up, what have we lost? Nothing - we haven't been to the playoffs since 1999 and nobody thought we'd make it there this year either. He hasn't shot anyone, been caught with illegal drugs, nor has he passed through airport security with a Whizzinator. :thumbsup:

I hope he is on his best behavior -- but if not, again, who cares as long as it's all on-the-field stuff he does.

There's an interesting story behind that one. He used to have a weekly radio show with Dan Le Batard in Miami, and they had listeners call in and give TO ideas for a TD celebration if he scored against the Phins. Sure enough he scored, and he did the celebration that someone called in with.

Which was kinda like Moss' fake 'mooning' of the crowd in Green Bay. A lot of noise about absoutely nothing. Yet somehow people equate it to assault, discharging a firearm in a nightclub, drugs, etc.

He may not be a choirboy, but the cartoon was spot on. He doesn't belong on the list of league thugs either.

TO isn't a criminal. TO is liked by his teammates, except his QBs, who he chirps and annoys. He also alienates himself from the fans by doing this.

He's a flamboyant guy with a diva personality who craves attention. If he gets the ball and if the team wins, he won't say a damn word.

The Ralph is gonna go berserk when he scores his first TD in a Buffalo uniform.

:flirt: Great post!

It is obvious, the way most people here feel about Marshawn Lynch's off the field issues, as football fans, as a whole, we don't really care what the guys do off he field, as long as it isn't "too bad". The same people who were defending Lynch a week or two ago, saying that "it doesn't matter, his teammates love him, he plays hard" are now using reverse logic to justify embracing Terrell Owens. Is it just a freak thing, that every team that Owens played for, was happy to see him go, despite his obvious talents? Every team!

Not to say it can't change, but the odds are against it. What if TO says something stupid on his BET reality show, about the Bills, Buffalo, or one of his teammates? Nobody cared what a schmuck Willis McGahee was, until he belittled our city, its' women, and its' nightlife. That was the straw that broke the camels back, for most. Owens can't keep his mouth shut, and it is ultimately what always gets him in trouble.

There is "character" off the field, which Fez referenced. In that regard, Owens offenses are minimal. I actually got a kick out of the Sharpie thing, and the celebration on the Dallas star, whille he was a 49er. But the character that Owens lacks, and has lacked throughout his career, is the character that lets him instinctively know that he should put the greater good of this team (and by extension Buffalo fans, thats' us), above his own needs. That is the kind of character the Bills need.

After reading into the transgressions, I'm liking this signing even more. Even if he is a cancer in the locker room, what's the worst that's going to happen? We'll miss the playoffs again? :flirt:

Look at it this way: Without TO to blame in 2009, the Cowboys are not going to be able to blame anyone but Tony Romo for all the Tony Romo gaffes, chokes, drops and INTs.

I don't doubt TO is a pain in the ass, he's really emotionally needy. The problem is he's played with other top talents who compete for attention. In Buffalo he won't have that problem. Half of the people in WNY probably couldn't name more than a handful of players, they've been so "bland" these past years. Not since we had Lawyer Milloy or Bledsoe or Flutie have we had "name" players once the 1990's Superbills all left or retired.

TO is now not only the big fish in the small pond - he's the ONLY fish in the pond. And I think that will be fine with the rest of the team as long as he catches the damned ball.