ESPN.com: "Owens deal gets nation talking about Bills"

Lori

Anyone see SportsCenter last night? The anchor walked in from behind a giant Bills logo as their lead off. I'd say, YES, the Buffalo Bills definitely grabbed the national spotlight for a few days and they probably guaranteed themselves a couple Sunday or Monday nighters this coming season.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Anyone see SportsCenter last night? The anchor walked in from behind a giant Bills logo as their lead off. I'd say, YES, the Buffalo Bills definitely grabbed the national spotlight for a few days and they probably guaranteed themselves a couple Sunday or Monday nighters this coming season.

I saw the Bills mentioned three times in fifteen mins on SC this morning...for those of us who live outside of NY, and considering the fact that the three mentions had nothing to do with a Bills RB getting into trouble, that was pretty damn cool.

Rock on, TO!

T.O is the guy you love to hate. It's just to easy, he puts himself at the center of attention, and he is the personification of what Buffalo is, "Me, Me, Me". I definitely wasn't on board with the program when it was a rumour.

I really believed, we had no shot in hell in signing T.O. So, I as a fan saw what most people see in T.O, his selfish, destructive ways.

But as the rumour turned into more of a reality, I couldn't help but start seeing all the amazing talents and intangibles that he brings to the table. As the day went on, I became more excited and then BAM!!

T.O signs 1 year $6.5Million deal with the Bills.

Absolutely in shock. I still really couldn't believe it, I thought maybe there would be a chance that the deal would get voided or it was a mistake or pending a physical or something.

After seeing him wear that Bills hat and stating that he is a Bill. It finally hit home.

There is no doubt, that he has brought more excitement to the Bills at least for me in many years. Not only does he bring excitement, but he brings production, even if he doesn't match his recent numbers, there is no doubt that the opposing teams will have to pay more attention to him and that should free up Lee Evans and company for more receiving opportunities, not to mention that there should be less 8 man boxes for our awesome two headed monster rushing attack.

I'm really glad that Jauron, Russ Brandon, Ralph Wilson and everyone else involved made this happen.

It's a good day to be a Bills fan.

Look...the guy is a lunatic and pretty much under any normal circumstances, this signing would be moronic, at best. But whats going on at OBD is NOT normal the last few years. The Bills have become NFL Siberia more or less. So bringing in even the worst of guys (on field wise...no Leonard Littles or Pac Mans) can bring some MUCH needed juice to the team, get the spotlight on them and maybe just maybe show that this team and this town isnt the dead end it seems to be.

I draw the parallell to the NY Mets signing Pedro Martinez, who was at the time a total diva, emrouilded in a lot of trash talking and issues and had a questional health history. The MEts were NOWHERE before PEdro got there, but he brought the juice, got the team some press and got the ball rolling toward respectabilitly. BUT...and here is the big BUT......PEdor was a model citizen wiht the Mets and was a leader. He also played his heart out.

So if TO is a strong player and not a total clown, this is going to pay off huge for the team. If he's still crazy, forget it.

Guest dog14787
I typed that because until now, I'd been consciously staying away from expressing an opinion on this one. I do appreciate the kind words, though ...

Sorry I singled you out yesterday and I'm glad you are staying open minded about TO. Its natural to try to protect the team we all love from bad things happening to it when our players are almost like family to most of us. They may not be the most talented bunch of guys, but they are our guys and it wouldn't be right if some folks didn't speak out and say "wait a minute, this is crazy, this is not right" and I respect you for voicing your opinion.

I hope TO realizes he is part of our family, and for most, once a Bill always a Bill, TO's heart belongs to Buffalo now.

I don't see any possible way this could be a "disaster of Hindenburg proportions"... :thumbsup: We're a team that is mentioned every year as being a top candidate for relocation. We haven't made the playoffs in a decade. Aside from our fast start last season, we're pretty much irrelevant on the NFL stage. What's the worst T.O. could do? Drag our record from 7-9 down to 6-10? Screw the team by helping us earn our way to the 9th pick in the draft instead of the 11th?

I don't see any downside in signing the guy...

I agree 100% with you and Lori (and KTD). If it blows up, Jauron will almost certainly be a casualty. If not, get us a guard and a tight end, and we could truly have a great offense. Yeah....I said that, a GREAT OFFENSE!!!!!!!!!!!

GO BILLS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

this guy is twice as good as anything we have including Evans. With this signing the offense just got better 10 xs from last year. Plus signing him to a one year contract is good imo. We are not married to the guy & he will be playing his a** off for that last big contract. If the line can give Edwards time I really do not know how the d is going to account for both guys. Cant double them both.

Look...the guy is a lunatic and pretty much under any normal circumstances, this signing would be moronic, at best. But whats going on at OBD is NOT normal the last few years. The Bills have become NFL Siberia more or less. So bringing in even the worst of guys (on field wise...no Leonard Littles or Pac Mans) can bring some MUCH needed juice to the team, get the spotlight on them and maybe just maybe show that this team and this town isnt the dead end it seems to be.

I draw the parallell to the NY Mets signing Pedro Martinez, who was at the time a total diva, emrouilded in a lot of trash talking and issues and had a questional health history. The MEts were NOWHERE before PEdro got there, but he brought the juice, got the team some press and got the ball rolling toward respectabilitly. BUT...and here is the big BUT......PEdor was a model citizen wiht the Mets and was a leader. He also played his heart out.

So if TO is a strong player and not a total clown, this is going to pay off huge for the team. If he's still crazy, forget it.

Excellent analogy with the Mets. pedro may not of lived up to his contract on the field but he brought credibility to that organization.

As far as Owens, noone can ever accuse him of not playing hard. The guy maybe a diva but he has always played hard & he wants to win. I think it is a no lose signing for the bills.

SJF will be some interesting times. Will he sign autographs willingly? Or will he be like many players and avoid even looking at the fans in the stands as the leave the practice field.

Wonder what Cindy will have to go through when she takes the team pictures this year? Oopsie daisies! :thumbsup:

we are really gonna see the kind of ability that evans has now.

if owens gives us 7 in the box and two guys who warrant a double team, then our two rbs are gonna run rough shot over the nfl.

one thing is we were able to run very effectively against the 3-4, but passed poorly. this could be just what we need!

Bottom Line: What's the worst TO can do? Keep us out of the playoffs? How exactly would that be any different than the last 9 years? So I ask, what's the real risk here? IF the Bills don't make the playoffs this year we are looking at a melt down of Hindenburg proportions regardless....or at least another rebuild.

Bottom Line: What's the worst TO can do? Keep us out of the playoffs? How exactly would that be any different than the last 9 years? So I ask, what's the real risk here? IF the Bills don't make the playoffs this year we are looking at a melt down of Hindenburg proportions regardless....or at least another rebuild.

Exactly.

What an August it's going to be! Bruce Smith, inducted in the HOF! Ralph Wilson, inducted in the HOF! The Bills playing in the HOF Game featuring newly aquired pro bowl and future HOFer T.O.

Suddenly, our Pro Bowl players -Schoebel, Peters, Lynch, Stroud & Owens, with gamebreakers like Evans, Parrish & McKelvin and an ever growing group of strong contributers like Poz, Butler, Whitner & Mitchell will make for season opening MUST SEE football!

Gotta get to Canton!

LOL Who the F is Butler?

I don't see any possible way this could be a "disaster of Hindenburg proportions"... :thumbsup: We're a team that is mentioned every year as being a top candidate for relocation. We haven't made the playoffs in a decade. Aside from our fast start last season, we're pretty much irrelevant on the NFL stage. What's the worst T.O. could do? Drag our record from 7-9 down to 6-10? Screw the team by helping us earn our way to the 9th pick in the draft instead of the 11th?

That's exactly what I told my wife last night. "What's the worst that will happen? We'll miss the playoffs again?"

How about if he wrecks Trent Edwards once and for all, and we have to go QB-shopping once again next season? Now, you might say that if TE lets that happen he's no franchise QB anyway ... and I might agree. But it is a factor.

How about if he wrecks Trent Edwards once and for all, and we have to go QB-shopping once again next season? Now, you might say that if TE lets that happen he's no franchise QB anyway ... and I might agree. But it is a factor.

You would agree. :thumbsup:

Of course it's a factor. There isn't anyone that believes this has no chance of blowing up in the Bills face, or believes that TO doesn't have serious issues and baggage.

I'd suggest that this is several players and coaches year to finally show some progress. And Trent falls squarely into that category as well. If he can't throw the ball down the field and into the endzone with Evans and TO on the field, I'd hope we go lookin for a new QB regardless.