ESPN.com: "Owens deal gets nation talking about Bills"

Lori

Yeah, it's another Tim Graham link. You should expect these from me by now. He's compiled the immediate reactions from pundits near and far, from Sully to Judge to Prisco (and more):

Owens deal gets nation talking about Bills

And yeah, it's yet another T.O. thread. No chance we were going to enforce the duplicate-posting guidelines once this news hit. See: Custer's men at Little Big Horn ...

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, it's another Tim Graham link. You should expect these from me by now. He's compiled the immediate reactions from pundits near and far, from Sully to Judge to Prisco (and more):

And yeah, it's yet another T.O. thread. No chance we were going to enforce the duplicate-posting guidelines once this news hit. See: Custer's men at Little Big Horn ...

I got calls from a bunch of my friends here in St. Louis asking what I thought. Pretty much everybody hates the guy.

But I thought about it, and I'm actually happy they made the deal. Dude has major talent, and he need to be off the radar. But that is impossible, so what he will do is put the focus on the Bills, and maybe get us more looks from players on the fence. And we definitely needed a guy to take the heat off Evans. Josh Reed is a cool guy, but not a threat.

We need to sign a linebacker, possibly our own guy Crowell, and have a good draft. Avoid injuries, avoid boneheaded coaching maneuvers, and we will be in the playoffs.

Thanks, Lori. I wasn't jazzed about this signing at first but, upon reflection, it makes sense...especially since it's only for one year. If nothing else, it puts the Bills back on the NFL map and makes them (at least temporarily) relevant again. Who knows, maybe it even gets them a national TV game this year. It should be interesting...

Nor should anyone! There are most likely thousands of other fans coming here looking at how we are reacting. Let it all show for awhile!

So far, I have two Steelers fans asking me what the heck the Bills are doing, a Panthers fan sending me condolences, and a guy from Toronto who wants me to order him a TO jersey.

What do you think of the signing Lori?

Nor should anyone! There are most likely thousands of other fans coming here looking at how we are reacting. Let it all show for awhile!

Something like this .. yeah, there WAS no other news. But eventually, we will want to start letting other stuff sneak back onto Page 1. Just wanted to mention it, in case anyone wondered.

What do you think of the signing Lori?

You had to ask, didn't you?

I'm not a T.O. fan, let's make that clear right off the top. I've always preferred the guys who quietly went about their business (Marvin Harrison comes to mind), not the prima-donna 'tude copped by so many elite wideouts.

That said ...

The one-year deal is good for both sides. He'll be motivated to kick some a** this year and try to snag one more good contract, and if some blowup does happen and the Bills decide to dump him, they don't have to worry about eating a big cap hit.

How much does he have left? Not sure, to be honest. But he WILL show up at SJF in shape, and as regards pure physical talent, he's light-years ahead of anyone else the Bills were going to line up across from Evans. That includes Coles, Galloway, or anyone else they looked at in FA.

My concern remains the mental side of it, especially with a young QB and a coach on the hot seat. This signing could be a stroke of genius ... or a disaster of Hindenburg proportions, if he starts brewing up a storm in the locker room.

And right now, I have no clue which way it'll go.

You had to ask, didn't you?

I'm not a T.O. fan, let's make that clear right off the top. I've always preferred the guys who quietly went about their business (Marvin Harrison comes to mind), not the prima-donna 'tude copped by so many elite wideouts.

That said ...

The one-year deal is good for both sides. He'll be motivated to kick some a** this year and try to snag one more good contract, and if some blowup does happen and the Bills decide to dump him, they don't have to worry about eating a big cap hit.

How much does he have left? Not sure, to be honest. But he WILL show up at SJF in shape, and as regards pure physical talent, he's light-years ahead of anyone else the Bills were going to line up across from Evans. That includes Coles, Galloway, or anyone else they looked at in FA.

My concern remains the mental side of it, especially with a young QB and a coach on the hot seat. This signing could be a stroke of genius ... or a disaster of Hindenburg proportions, if he starts brewing up a storm in the locker room.

Yes I did, because I respect your opinion and I couldn't have put it better myself.

GO BILLS!

Yes I did, because I respect your opinion and I couldn't have put it better myself.

GO BILLS!

I typed that because until now, I'd been consciously staying away from expressing an opinion on this one. I do appreciate the kind words, though ...

The link that graham has to Jerry Sullivan's article is great... I could agree more with jerry when he says "What do we have to lose? Tranquility and calm in the locker room, among a bunch of nice guys who haven't won a damn thing?"

It is just so great to see the bills as the opening story on sportscenter...

What an August it's going to be! Bruce Smith, inducted in the HOF! Ralph Wilson, inducted in the HOF! The Bills playing in the HOF Game featuring newly aquired pro bowl and future HOFer T.O.

Suddenly, our Pro Bowl players -Schoebel, Peters, Lynch, Stroud & Owens, with gamebreakers like Evans, Parrish & McKelvin and an ever growing group of strong contributers like Poz, Butler, Whitner & Mitchell will make for season opening MUST SEE football!

Gotta get to Canton!

I'm not totally sold on him being motivated - there's been any number of players that took that last contract and then just went through the motions.

I'm not totally sold on him being motivated - there's been any number of players that took that last contract and then just went through the motions.

I really don't think you have to worry about Owens being motivated. The guy has a major ego, and that ego has to be constantly stoked. Although I think he is not as effective a player as he was a year or two ago, I would never accuse him of playing soft, or being lackadaisical. As long as the team is winning, and he is a part of that, he will be fairly well behaved.

I am lukewarm on this signing. In fact, I was kind of repulsed when I first heard about it. But something Lori said, in giving her opinion, put it in perspective for me.

Lori said: "This signing could be a stroke of genius ... or a disaster of Hindenburg proportions, if he starts brewing up a storm in the locker room."

And you know, when you think about it in those terms, it is easier for me to come to terms with this. I am fairly certain that the Bills, without Terrell Owens, in 2009, wouldn't be a serious contender. I don't know if Owens makes them a contender now, but at least I am not sure he won't....

This signing could be a stroke of genius ... or a disaster of Hindenburg proportions, if he starts brewing up a storm in the locker room.

I don't see any possible way this could be a "disaster of Hindenburg proportions"... :thumbdown: We're a team that is mentioned every year as being a top candidate for relocation. We haven't made the playoffs in a decade. Aside from our fast start last season, we're pretty much irrelevant on the NFL stage. What's the worst T.O. could do? Drag our record from 7-9 down to 6-10? Screw the team by helping us earn our way to the 9th pick in the draft instead of the 11th?

I don't see any downside in signing the guy...

But he WILL show up at SJF in shape, ...

SJF will be some interesting times. Will he sign autographs willingly? Or will he be like many players and avoid even looking at the fans in the stands as the leave the practice field.