New Technology May Help In Battle Against Cancer And Criminals

Steely Dan

Linky

A technique thought to be a promising cancer treatment is also being investigated as the basis for a Taser-like weapon that stuns for longer, New Scientist has learned.

The technology involves short, nanosecond-long pulses of extreme voltage.

Microsecond pulses have been used for years to punch temporary holes in cell membranes, to shove genes or drugs into cells. But the nanosecond pulses have similar effects on individual organelles inside a cell, such as the nucleus.

For reasons as yet unknown, this can cause a cell to destroy itself in a process known as apoptosis, something being investigated as a cancer treatment. But the nanosecond pulses are also being researched as a way to temporarily disable human muscles.

Linky

A technique thought to be a promising cancer treatment is also being investigated as the basis for a Taser-like weapon that stuns for longer, New Scientist has learned.

The technology involves short, nanosecond-long pulses of extreme voltage.

Microsecond pulses have been used for years to punch temporary holes in cell membranes, to shove genes or drugs into cells.

This is known as electroporation. I have used it with bacteria. Nice pop and flash if it arcs when you do it.

But the nanosecond pulses have similar effects on individual organelles inside a cell, such as the nucleus.

For reasons as yet unknown, this can cause a cell to destroy itself in a process known as apoptosis, something being investigated as a cancer treatment. But the nanosecond pulses are also being researched as a way to temporarily disable human muscles.

Apoptosis is the process that an organism uses to get rid of damaged cells.

I am not sure of your point. As far as destroying cells in criminals, a 44 mag is the accepted procedure. I don't understand what that has to do with cancer treatment. Is it one, or the other? I smell someone looking for a new research grant.

Research grants are all well and good

But you can't just destroy the cells in a criminal from a 44. The lawyer needs his cut first

This is known as electroporation. I have used it with bacteria. Nice pop and flash if it arcs when you do it.

Apoptosis is the process that an organism uses to get rid of damaged cells.

What do you do for a living if I may ask.

I am not sure of your point. As far as destroying cells in criminals, a 44 mag is the accepted procedure. I don't understand what that has to do with cancer treatment. Is it one, or the other? I smell someone looking for a new research grant.

Did you read the whole article?

I was in molecular biology, but now I do environmental due-diligence.

Cloning a gene is actually inserting it in a circle of DNA (the circles are called plasmids), then getting it into a bacteria so the gene can be expressed, or get more copies (by growing the bacteria). Originally, you took cells, treated them with certain solutions and the plasmids, heat shocked them for a few minutes , let them grow for an hour and then plate them.

With electroporation (started being done about 10 years ago or so if I remember right), you treat the cells with a solution, put them in a little disposable chamber with the DNA. Push a button (zap the cells), and plate the cells. There are controllers that can vary the length of charge, decay rate and other parameters. If there is too much salt in the solutions, it arcs and makes a little pop and doesn't work.

Apoptosis is what gets rid of the webbing between your toes and fingers before you are born. When it doesn't work, you are born with webbed feet (supposedly Dan Akroyd was).

Amplifying DNA (using PCR) is pretty easy too.

I was in molecular biology, but now I do environmental due-diligence.

Cloning a gene is actually inserting it in a circle of DNA (the circles are called plasmids), then getting it into a bacteria so the gene can be expressed, or get more copies (by growing the bacteria). Originally, you took cells, treated them with certain solutions and the plasmids, heat shocked them for a few minutes , let them grow for an hour and then plate them.

With electroporation (started being done about 10 years ago or so if I remember right), you treat the cells with a solution, put them in a little disposable chamber with the DNA. Push a button (zap the cells), and plate the cells. There are controllers that can vary the length of charge, decay rate and other parameters. If there is too much salt in the solutions, it arcs and makes a little pop and doesn't work.

Apoptosis is what gets rid of the webbing between your toes and fingers before you are born. When it doesn't work, you are born with webbed feet (supposedly Dan Akroyd was).

Amplifying DNA (using PCR) is pretty easy too.

Thanks that's cool. :lol:

It sounds like they are going for the pop in the cancer cells here and it sounds very plausible.