I'm not one to complain but...

Magox

Colts C Jeff Saturday's new three-year contract includes a $7.25 million signing bonus and is worth up to $13.3 million.

Baltimore got a steal with Matt Birk's deal. He and Saturday are about the same age, but Birk has three more Pro Bowls. Saturday can collect $10.9M in the first two seasons. He counts $3.98 million against this year's cap.

Birk and Saturday both get signed for approximately $4Million a year and we didn't pursue these guys.

I heard rumours that we were looking into Birk, but really nothing substantiated by any credible source. To me it seems that these guys would have been a good, logical and safe choice.

I suppose they have alot of faith in Hangartner. I'm hoping they are right about that decision.

Colts C Jeff Saturday's new three-year contract includes a $7.25 million signing bonus and is worth up to $13.3 million.

Baltimore got a steal with Matt Birk's deal. He and Saturday are about the same age, but Birk has three more Pro Bowls. Saturday can collect $10.9M in the first two seasons. He counts $3.98 million against this year's cap.

Birk and Saturday both get signed for approximately $4Million a year and we didn't pursue these guys.

I heard rumours that we were looking into Birk, but really nothing substantiated by any credible source. To me it seems that these guys would have been a good, logical and safe choice.

I suppose they have alot of faith in Hangartner. I'm hoping they are right about that decision.

We cant pursue a guy who isnt a free agent...its called tampering...Saturday resigned prior to free agency...

When we signed our guy Birk was thought to be resigning in Minn...it wasnt until after we signed our guy did Birk break off negotiations in Minn and other teams got involved.

If those numbers are indeed true, I am even more disgusted by the lack of action by the FO. Either one would be an immediate upgrade as a C. And Hangartner can play G or C so getting Birk or Saturday would have allowed Hangartner to play G and we would have a solid line.

So far, this must be one of the worst FA periods in recent Bills history.

Yes Saturday never was a free agent and yes, it was widely believed that Birk would re-sign with Minnesota.

For better or worse the Bills acted aggressively in pursuing Hangartner and got their center.

However, the rumors of moving Chambers to guard are not comforting to me and IMO the team still needs to get a veteran left guard to replace Dockery. They've let 4 interior OL (Preston, Fowler, Dockery, Whittle) walk away and have only brought in one.

I'm thinking Kendall Simmons will eventually sign with the Bills.

If those numbers are indeed true, I am even more disgusted by the lack of action by the FO. Either one would be an immediate upgrade as a C. And Hangartner can play G or C so getting Birk or Saturday would have allowed Hangartner to play G and we would have a solid line.

So far, this must be one of the worst FA periods in recent Bills history.

How can you be disgusted about the Bills not signing a player who wasnt a free agent? Saturday was NEVER a free agent...Birk was also not available when we signed Hangartner, he was negotiating to stay in Minn and wasnt visiting other teams...

So, we could have sat on our butts, you know the thing that saw 100 posters posting threads about the first couple of days, or we could take matters into our own hands and go get a guy we needed...so we did.

Its amazing how some people on here think about FA...they blame the Bills FO for not obtaining a guy who wasnt available, then are mad at us signing a guy because someone LATER came available...makes no sense...

So my request is make up your mind! You cant whine about us taking no action, then also whine about us taking action because someone unexpectedly came available later...geezus...I am starting to think the fans just complain on here to hear themeselves complain no matter what the FO does...

My bad about Saturday.

As far as Birk is concerned, I would think that if we aggressively pursued him and offered a decent contract he would of considered coming here.

But hey, I'm not opposed to Hangartner, it seems as if the Bills Brass targeted him early, and they believe they have their man. So, hopefully it works out!

My bad about Saturday.

As far as Birk is concerned, I would think that if we aggressively pursued him and offered a decent contract he would of considered coming here.

But hey, I'm not opposed to Hangartner, it seems as if the Bills Brass targeted him early, and they believe they have their man. So, hopefully it works out!

The problem about Birk is that he wanted to stay in Minn, so he wasnt taking visits until the negotiations broke off. By that time, we already signed our guy...

How can you be disgusted about the Bills not signing a player who wasnt a free agent? Saturday was NEVER a free agent...Birk was also not available when we signed Hangartner, he was negotiating to stay in Minn and wasnt visiting other teams...

Okay, sorry abt Saturday. But I don't buy the excuse for not being in the game regarding Birk. I would think that the FO would be in the know if acquiring Birk was a possibility. We all know that the OL now is severely depleted and the FO should have been aggressively looking for possibilities in plugging the gaps. We should have known about Birk's contract situation - why did the Ravens know ??

Also, I don't think acquiring Hangartner should have stopped us from continuing to look. He is one of at least 2 that we needed on the OL.

So, we could have sat on our butts, you know the thing that saw 100 posters posting threads about the first couple of days, or we could take matters into our own hands and go get a guy we needed...so we did.

Its amazing how some people on here think about FA...they blame the Bills FO for not obtaining a guy who wasnt available, then are mad at us signing a guy because someone LATER came available...makes no sense...

So my request is make up your mind! You cant whine about us taking no action, then also whine about us taking action because someone unexpectedly came available later...geezus...I am starting to think the fans just complain on here to hear themeselves complain no matter what the FO does...

Relax dude.

smoke a spliff, take a zanex, listen to some nature noises, something. Just chill

This is why you rub people the wrong way, you are very combative.

You shouldn't let other people that you have no control of constantly disgust or bother you becuase it is always going to happen and you can't do anything about it.

People have their opinions, and you have yours.

As far as Saturday is concerned you are right. I posted something that wasn't correct, so I apologize about that.

As far as complaining, I hardly ever do that, I just had my heart set on us going after a Top rated Center. Jason Brown, Birk then Saturday were on my wish list. Jason Brown for over $7 Million a year, well, I can understand why we were gun shy in signing him after the Dockery Debacle.

Birk at $4 Million a year, I have to tell the truth here, that irked me a little bit. As far as him not being available, that is not true. It doesn't matter that it was to our understanding that Minnesota was targeting him, because the Ravens were smart enough to know that all they had to do was offer a respectable contract to get him.

Maybe the Bills did target Birk and I am wrong about that to. But in my view if we offered him $5 Million a year, he probably would of came to us.

But like I said, I have no quams with Hangartner, he seems to have been very well liked and respected in Carolina, and to me he seems as if he will be an upgrade over Fowler and Preston. So I'm hoping for the best.

The only excuse for not going after Birk would be that the Bills were planning on signing 5 to 7 free agents to fix the multiple holes on our roster and didn't want to tie up that much cash at the C position. Apparently that isn't the case.

I really don't think the Bills' front office realizes how pissed off the fans are about all the losing, and how far they really are from fielding a team that can beat the Patriots.

I was expecting drastic action this year in FA or via trade, and so far I think the offseason has been a f-ing joke. Hopefully the Bills will make my opinion look foolish, but history supports ME and not them.

Relax dude.

smoke a spliff, take a zanex, listen to some nature noises, something. Just chill

This is why you rub people the wrong way, you are very combative.

You shouldn't let other people that you have no control of constantly disgust or bother you becuase it is always going to happen and you can't do anything about it.

People have their opinions, and you have yours.

As far as Saturday is concerned you are right. I posted something that wasn't correct, so I apologize about that.

As far as complaining, I hardly ever do that, I just had my heart set on us going after a Top rated Center. Jason Brown, Birk then Saturday were on my wish list. Jason Brown for over $7 Million a year, well, I can understand why we were gun shy in signing him after the Dockery Debacle.

Birk at $4 Million a year, I have to tell the truth here, that irked me a little bit. As far as him not being available, that is not true. It doesn't matter that it was to our understanding that Minnesota was targeting him, because the Ravens were smart enough to know that all they had to do was offer a respectable contract to get him.

Maybe the Bills did target Birk and I am wrong about that to. But in my view if we offered him $5 Million a year, he probably would of came to us.

But like I said, I have no quams with Hangartner, he seems to have been very well liked and respected in Carolina, and to me he seems as if he will be an upgrade over Fowler and Preston. So I'm hoping for the best.

My post wasnt directed towards you...

You have to admit, the continuous whining on the board gets so old, especially with all the new people creating accounts just to post the Bills are being sold, we are doing nothing in FA, we should have gotten Haynesworth, we will have the first pick in the draft in 2010...and on and on and on...

Its even worse when the whining starts becoming about things the Bills had no control over...

I'm not one to complain but...

But here I go.

Kind of like saying no offense but, [insert offensive statement here]...

Seriously though, I would assume the first step is to ask the agent if his represented player would be interested in playing in Buffalo. If yes, pursue. If no, go elsewhere. I am not saying this is what happened, but it's one of many possibilities and we will truly never know what goes on behind closed doors. It's all speculation, we don't know what, if anything, deterred the Bills from Birk.

You have to admit, the continuous whining on the board gets so old, especially with all the new people creating accounts just to post the Bills are being sold, we are doing nothing in FA, we should have gotten Haynesworth, we will have the first pick in the draft in 2010...and on and on and on...

Its even worse when the whining starts becoming about things the Bills had no control over...

I can understand your frustration at the negativity. But isn't a lot of it justified ? After multiple losing seasons and pronouncement by the owner of a lack of talent, we still seem to not get some really good FAs. And this after us having boatloads of cash to spend. I am not sure the lack of activity is due to factors the Bills have no control over. Sometimes, they just have to make it happen and instead they seem to be ultra-passive about upgrading key positions and in not striving to keep our own.

I do agree that the whining does get old...

But hey, what are you gonna do?

On the surface Birk made a lot of sense, and Hangartner was a head scratcher. Birk for $4 Million really surprised me and my initial thought was " What The F*ck!! We could of had him!" After reading more about Hangartner, I am hopeful. Now I am really hoping that we target Brian Waters, so much so, that if we don't get him, I will feel a letdown of some sort.

The only excuse for not going after Birk would be that the Bills were planning on signing 5 to 7 free agents to fix the multiple holes on our roster and didn't want to tie up that much cash at the C position. Apparently that isn't the case.

I really don't think the Bills' front office realizes how pissed off the fans are about all the losing, and how far they really are from fielding a team that can beat the Patriots.

I was expecting drastic action this year in FA or via trade, and so far I think the offseason has been a f-ing joke. Hopefully the Bills will make my opinion look foolish, but history supports ME and not them.

Ok, let me ask you this...who should have the Bills signed that was an actual option? Let me help remove some people from the equation...

Saturday - never a FA

Brown - Only one team was willing to grossly over pay him, and he visited them first...never an option

Haynesworth - Not remotely close to worth what he got...thats ELITE QB money...only Wash was that dumb...never an option

Peppers - Franchised

Coles - We went after him, he chose a better QB and more money as he was over paid...

Birk - Was not available when we signed Hargartner...when he came available we had Birks position filled...

Houshmanzadeh - Listed 4 teams he wanted to play for, we were not one of them...Sea, Cincy, Minn, Philly...never an option

Scott - Only wanted to play for Jets (his old coach) or Balt...Jets OVERPAID for him, so how could we land him...never an option

Lewis - made outlandish contract demands and over estimated his market value and actually cost himself money. Never wanted to leave Balt unless he was going to be grossly overpaid for an aging LB...never an option UNLESS we were willing to grossly over pay for him...interesting thing is no one was...

After those guys, there are not a lot of premium players as this isnt a very deep FA group.

So, who did we miss out on? Free Agency is a two way street and requires equal interest from the team and Player...the only player that was obtainable we didnt get was Coles, and it took Cincy to over pay for his services to lure him away from us...

Ok, let me ask you this...who should have the Bills signed that was an actual option? Let me help remove some people from the equation...

Saturday - never a FA

Brown - Only one team was willing to grossly over pay him, and he visited them first...never an option

Haynesworth - Not remotely close to worth what he got...thats ELITE QB money...only Wash was that dumb...never an option

Peppers - Franchised

Coles - We went after him, he chose a better QB and more money as he was over paid...

Birk - Was not available when we signed Hargartner...when he came available we had Birks position filled...

Houshmanzadeh - Listed 4 teams he wanted to play for, we were not one of them...Sea, Cincy, Minn, Philly...never an option

Scott - Only wanted to play for Jets (his old coach) or Balt...Jets OVERPAID for him, so how could we land him...never an option

Lewis - made outlandish contract demands and over estimated his market value and actually cost himself money. Never wanted to leave Balt unless he was going to be grossly overpaid for an aging LB...never an option UNLESS we were willing to grossly over pay for him...interesting thing is no one was...

After those guys, there are not a lot of premium players as this isnt a very deep FA group.

So, who did we miss out on? Free Agency is a two way street and requires equal interest from the team and Player...the only player that was obtainable we didnt get was Coles, and it took Cincy to over pay for his services to lure him away from us...

Good post Alpha! We all wanted more out of free agency but looking back it wasn't really the year to get good through it. It's not over and a few decent players reamain available but I'm thinking the team will benefit much more from a solid draft. I wouldn't rule out a trade either. The FO is fully aware it needs to generate some excitement for next year.

Yep, it is all a two-way street. If they were serious about stuff, maybe they should have offered more for Taylor. Maybe they should have overpaid for Coles! Maybe they should have attempted a trade. Maybe they should have done something - ANYTHING about the sorry state of their DEs. One guy coming off an injury and the rest behind him just SUCK. Maybe they should have gone after a few of the TEs that were on the market. Maybe they should have added another DT to the rotation.

Look, I've made excuses for the front office for YEARS, much the same as you are right now. I have railed against the complainers and idiots around here who suggest we go after every FA available (like the morons suggesting we get Owens), but enough is enough. This isn't the offseason for a steady and measured strategy when it comes to trades and FA signings. The Bills are in deep shite, and need to start acting like they understand that. I don't think they do.

I'm telling you, if the Bills or anyone else honestly thinks they can get better performance by signing a LB and a WR and drafting a TE in the first round, they are idiots. If they think they can fix the O-line by getting a slightly better center and a marginally better LG, then they are idiots. If they think that Trent Edwards will do better by getting a marginally better WR, they are fools. There's no reason underachievers like Kelsay and Denney should even be on the roster any more, but they are. Makes me want to vomit.

Saturday - never a FA

Peppers - Franchised