Question on gas prices....

Frez

Why was gas prices under Bill Clinton 1.15 per gallon and now they are 2.25 under George Bush?

95926[/snapback]

Why WERE gas prices...you meant? :doh:

One of the reasons for the "Clinton economy" was the complete flattening of energy prices for the majority of his tenure. There was actually almost no inflation in the energy market from 1992 until mid 1999. There isn't any single answer or government policy that caused the phenomenon.

What we are seeing today is the result of worldwide instability coupled with overregulation of the industry. The government has hamstrung the refiners and delivery entities with excessive regulation that has hindered their ability to modernize. The government's response, as always, is to shift blame from itself to the "price gouging" evil companies. I'm not saying that isn't partially true, but it's only a small part of the picture.

Why WERE gas prices...you meant?  :doh:

One of the reasons for the "Clinton economy" was the complete flattening of energy prices for the majority of his tenure.  There was actually almost no inflation in the energy market from 1992 until mid 1999.  There isn't any single answer or government policy that caused the phenomenon.

What we are seeing today is the result of worldwide instability coupled with overregulation of the industry.  The government has hamstrung the refiners and delivery entities with excessive regulation that has hindered their ability to modernize.  The government's response, as always, is to shift blame from itself to the "price gouging" evil companies.  I'm not saying that isn't partially true, but it's only a small part of the picture.

95960[/snapback]

You forgot the Pacific Rim economic crisis under Clinton. It dramatically reduced consumption of world oil in the late '90s. And a significant part of the current supply problem is related to China's increased consumption over the past four years.

And there's the simple fact that the market is pricing in about $8 of risk into every barrel, thanks to instability in Iraq.

Really, there's a huge number of reasons...

[scratching head] I thought the Dims said that GW had a secret deal with his Saudi "buddies" that was supposed to result in low oil prices thus assuring his re-election?

Dims (particularly NozzelNUT) - what happened to that conspiricy theory? You've been pretty quiet about that for quite some time...

[scratching head] I thought the Dims said that GW had a secret deal with his Saudi "buddies" that was supposed to result in low oil prices thus assuring his re-election?

Dims (particularly NozzelNUT) - what happened to that conspiricy theory? You've been pretty quiet about that for quite some time...

96091[/snapback]

He must...our local gas is at an all time low today...$1.78...hold on i'm gonna go feel up the SUV

What we are seeing today is the result of worldwide instability coupled with overregulation of the industry. The government has hamstrung the refiners and delivery entities with excessive regulation that has hindered their ability to modernize. The government's response, as always, is to shift blame from itself to the "price gouging" evil companies. I'm not saying that isn't partially true, but it's only a small part of the picture.

Wait...you mean its NOT a diabolical scheme by GW and Halliburton to make them and their buddies all rich while sucking off the Saudis, who we apparently just became "friendly" with in 2000?

Wait...you mean its NOT a diabolical scheme by GW and Halliburton to make them and their buddies all rich while sucking off the Saudis, who we apparently just became "friendly" with in 2000?

96103[/snapback]

One could argue that low oil prices tended to destabilze the Oil producing countries as it put pressure on their treasuries and what ever social programs they had. Saudi at one time had very progressive social programs (for the Region).

Low revenues meant less for everyone (including the corrupt gov't) as a result the people have to blame someone for their troubles and the US becomes an easy target... The Saudi's encouraged this as it kept some of the heat off themselves...

So higher Oil may not be all bad ( may help stabilize Mideast economies).... Or it could be very bad as some money may go to terrorist organizations..... no one knows for sure....