Bills Release Statement

"The Buffalo Bills today issued the following team statement:

"Today we learned of Marshawn's guilty plea to the misdemeanor violation. He has accepted responsibility for his actions and apologized for his mistake. The league is now reviewing the matter under the NFL Personal Conduct Policy."

www.BuffaloBills.com

Just me, or was that cold? Nothing in there about supporting him or moving on. Might just be me.

"Today we learned of Marshawn's guilty plea to the misdemeanor violation. He has accepted responsibility for his actions and apologized for his mistake. The league is now reviewing the matter under the NFL Personal Conduct Policy."

www.BuffaloBills.com

Just me, or was that cold? Nothing in there about supporting him or moving on. Might just be me.

They probably don't want to sound like they condone Marshawn cruising the streets with an illegal gun, and his prior debacle doesn't help.

Non-issue in terms of sounding "cold" imo.

You're overplaying it. What else can they say? They can't appear to be anything but neutral on the issue.

www.BuffaloBills.com

Sign of the times, I feel. It just isn't wise to publicly support athletes on your team anymore. Too many red faces later. It's time to implement serious character requirements and financial repercusions in every player contract - much more so they they do, currently. To me, it's just not enough to sign a player. There's too much at stake with marketing a franchise.

Sign of the times, I feel. It just isn't wise to publicly support athletes on your team anymore. Too many red faces later. It's time to implement serious character requirements and financial repercusions in every player contract - much more so they they do, currently. To me, it's just not enough to sign a player. There's too much at stake with marketing a franchise.

CIN put in contract language after Carl Picken's antics several years ago - return of signing bonus and cancellation of contract for actions "detrimental to the team".

They invoked the clause once - punter Lee Johnson made some comments about lousy coaching or some such. Which was a pretty weak reason for canning him, IMO.

Nevertheless, the NFLPA demanded that such contract clauses be eliminated - and they were with the new CBA.

CIN put in contract language after Carl Picken's antics several years ago - return of signing bonus and cancellation of contract for actions "detrimental to the team".

They invoked the clause once - punter Lee Johnson made some comments about lousy coaching or some such. Which was a pretty weak reason for canning him, IMO.

Nevertheless, the NFLPA demanded that such contract clauses be eliminated - and they were with the new CBA.

I'd be surprized if it's not 'revisited' with the new CBA.

But on top of any league suspension the team can impose an additional team suspension of 4 games I believe (it might be 8). There is rumors that the Bills may do that, to set and example.

But on top of any league suspension the team can impose an additional team suspension of 4 games I believe (it might be 8). There is rumors that the Bills may do that, to set and example.

Yep - several teams have done that. WRs Steve Smith and Chris Henry come to mind.

There is also not starting a player - even if only for the 1st play of a game. It gets used here and there - things like missing a team meeting.

Since # of starts is a fairly common contract incentive AFAIK, missing that start can pack a punch.

I met Pickens when he was a Volunteer (Univ. of Tenn). At the time he seemed to be a good kid.