Hangartner = Starting Center, Not Backup

NY Nole

I can't take anymore posts about the Bills signing a "backup" C/G. This is NONSENSE. Geoff Hangartner looks like a very good, young player who spent the first 4 years of his career on a solid offensive line. Last year, he STARTED 8 games and played in many others. So for all those who only think of Geoff Hangartner as a backup C/G, I would like to see how the rest of the current Bills "starters" would stack up against the Carolina "starters." Might there be any other "backups" on our current line??

2008 Panthers OLine (20 Sacks given up) vs. Buffalo Bills Oline (38 sacks given up)

LT: Jordan Gross (28 yr old, 6-4 305) vs. Peters (27 yr old, 6-7 340)

LG: Travelle Wharton (27 yr old, 6-4 312) vs. Dockery (28 yr old, 6-6 330)

C: Ryan Kalil (23 yr old, 6-3 295) vs. Fowler (29 yr old, 6-3 310)

RG: Keydrick Vincent (30 yr old, 6-5 325) vs. Butler (25 yr old, 6-7 315)

RT: Jeff Otah (22 yr old, 6-6 330) vs Walker (29 yr old, 6-8 366)

Peters is the only starter on the Bills that matches up to his Panthers counterpart IMHO, but I'd rather take Gross. Other than that, I believe every Bills lineman would have been a "backup" on the 2008 Panthers.

I can't take anymore posts about the Bills signing a "backup" C/G. This is NONSENSE. Geoff Hangartner looks like a very good, young player who spent the first 4 years of his career on a solid offensive line. Last year, he STARTED 8 games and played in many others. So for all those who only think of Geoff Hangartner as a backup C/G, I would like to see how the rest of the current Bills "starters" would stack up against the Carolina "starters." Might there be any other "backups" on our current line??

2008 Panthers OLine (20 Sacks given up) vs. Buffalo Bills Oline (38 sacks given up)

LT: Jordan Gross (28 yr old, 6-4 305) vs. Peters (27 yr old, 6-7 340)

LG: Travelle Wharton (27 yr old, 6-4 312) vs. Dockery (28 yr old, 6-6 330)

C: Ryan Kalil (23 yr old, 6-3 295) vs. Fowler (29 yr old, 6-3 310)

RG: Keydrick Vincent (30 yr old, 6-5 325) vs. Butler (25 yr old, 6-7 315)

RT: Jeff Otah (22 yr old, 6-6 330) vs Walker (29 yr old, 6-8 366)

Peters is the only starter on the Bills that matches up to his Panthers counterpart IMHO, but I'd rather take Gross. Other than that, I believe every Bills lineman would have been a "backup" on the 2008 Panthers.

No, you don't understand. You can't ever say anything positive about any move by the Bills front office. You must rip every single one. Kind of like how you can not criticize any move ever made by Belichick, you must call him a genius after every free agent signing or draft pick, no matter how simple or mundane it is.

No, you don't understand. You can't ever say anything positive about any move by the Bills front office. You must rip every single one. Kind of like how you can not criticize any move ever made by Belichick, you must call him a genius after every free agent signing or draft pick, no matter how simple or mundane it is.

Give me your top 5 Bills moves since Donahoe was fired then. Then tell us how those moves are/have put the Bills on the track toward making the playoffs.

Give me your top 5 Bills moves since Donahoe was fired then. Then tell us how those moves are/have put the Bills on the track toward making the playoffs.

Since Donahoe was fired? How about since Butler was fired...that's not the point. If our front office didn't make at least a few decent moves every few years or so then we would be picking in the top 5 every year. Automatically ripping them for every single move regardless does not make sense. On paper, Hantgartner seems like a clear upgrade from Preston/Fowler (both current FO failures in their own right.) But noooooo, rip the poor guy before he has even had a chance to suit up.

Since Donahoe was fired? How about since Butler was fired...that's not the point. If our front office didn't make at least a few decent moves every few years or so then we would be picking in the top 5 every year. Automatically ripping them for every single move regardless does not make sense. On paper, Hantgartner seems like a clear upgrade from Preston/Fowler (both current FO failures in their own right.) But noooooo, rip the poor guy before he has even had a chance to suit up.

Having Hantgartner is better then having Preston or Fowler

just like having Diabetes is better than having AIDS or Polio

but do you really want any of them?

Butler wasn't fired. He decided working for Ralph, Littman, and Bogdan was too much and left for SD.

Again, please highlight five decisions the front office made which has contributed to Buffalo's success. I'll give you one:

Signing Jason Peters during the summer of 06 to a 5 yr deal in the hopes he could play tackle.

I want to know why people like you trust the Bills front office. I believe their judgment is poor, as evidenced by the lack of success since 2001. Modrak, Guy, Brandon, Overdorf, Littman, Bogdan, Ralph and others have been running the show for awhile and cannot deliver. Yet when the times comes to make a change, they decide to keep things status quo.

Hangartener was a very solid signing, I can't fault Russ on that one. He was a solid depth player who had performed like a starter any time he was called on in a deep unit.

They just have to make sure to keep plowing forward. The offensive line needed a center and a guard; it's got its center now. So what's going to happen at guard? The defense needed a nickelback, and they got it, but it also needs a safety, a defensive end, a linebacker, and a defensive tackle. Plus we have a gaping hole at TE, and an urgent need for depth on the offensive line. That's at least seven roster players to come in - I don't think we can make that happen simply through second-day draft picks.

a little premature on Hantgartner.

I was wondering what you were basing your assumption on?

Absolutely nothing at all, other than the general TSW feeling these days that every move the Bills' F.O. makes sucks! :rolleyes:

(Actually, it seems like a decent signing to me - I can't understand why anyone would be ragging on Hantgartner or the front office this soon.)

Butler wasn't fired. He decided working for Ralph, Littman, and Bogdan was too much and left for SD.

Again, please highlight five decisions the front office made which has contributed to Buffalo's success. I'll give you one:

Signing Jason Peters during the summer of 06 to a 5 yr deal in the hopes he could play tackle.

I want to know why people like you trust the Bills front office. I believe their judgment is poor, as evidenced by the lack of success since 2001. Modrak, Guy, Brandon, Overdorf, Littman, Bogdan, Ralph and others have been running the show for awhile and cannot deliver. Yet when the times comes to make a change, they decide to keep things status quo.

...and that is pretty much what this FA period has been about, replacing players, not improving the team.