So the general TSW feeling is no matter what we do

It's laughable that fans come to this board to vent about the status of the team, and are called out for complaining. Apparently the following isn't bad enough:

1. A 90 year old owner with no plans to provide for succession after he's gone.

2. Hiring an 80 year who worked as a GM for 2 years with poor results.

3. First hiring a reject from Chicago as HC and then retaining him after his last 10 games resulted in a 2-8 record.

4. Selling games to Toronto for an average of 9M+ per game which we're told won't go for better players.

5. Now not having a legitimate NFL GM to handle personnel.

6. Missing the playoffs 9 straight seasons, the last of which occurred in a year when Tom Brady was done for the season.

7. Finishing winless in the division for the first time in more than 30 years in 08.

8. Seeing 13 of 14 free agents from 06-07 be cut by the beginning of the 09.

9. Free Agency 09 which so far has resulted in backups on other teams asked to start or be the top backup for ours.

10. Most likely going to go with much the same group of players that could not win 10 games with the second easiest schedule in the NFL.

11. Knowing full well that the schedule will be much tougher in 09.

When people want to be optimistic, those are the items I think of. Perhaps more exist. Optimism for Bills fans is removing yourself from reality and going into the land of make believe. As in making believe the Bills are contenders for the post-season.

Well said- I think we all treat the Bills like a Parent treats their child coming home with a D minus report card, some will want to hold that child and tell him it's ok you are a beautiful unique snowflake, others will want to give him a kick in the butt and tell them to start working harder.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Now that is what I am talking about. Sarcasm or not, we are a few players, a good draft ,and a good QB play away from a playoff run

Just like in:

:wallbash:

Well said- I think we all treat the Bills like a Parent treats their child coming home with a D minus report card, some will want to hold that child and tell him it's ok you are a beautiful unique snowflake, others will want to give him a kick in the butt and tell them to start working harder.

:wallbash:

But you're missing the key ingredient there. After 2 and half bad years, they made a change. How would the prologue look if they'd have stayed the course that 3rd year.... and decided a 4th year was worth a try before bringing in Marv?

Well, one point I'd stress is that Marv didn't start winning until his 3rd year, and he had Bruce Smith, Jim Kelly, etc.

No one would have been more pleased than me to see a coaching change or an upgrade at offensive coordinator, maybe bring in someone like...

Mike Leach

But all this incessant whining that we are destined to suck out loud - before the draft, before free agency runs its course, before we see if any trades are consummated - seems like a bunch of defeatist self-flagellation.

I understand there was a need to vent after last season - it's time to end the catharsis...

GO BILLSSS!!!!

Sign Coles, don't sign Coles. Leonhard sucks, I can't believe the Jets signed Leonhard and we didn't. Extend Peters, or don't. Jauron needs to go, he deserves another year. Trent is our savior, Trent is just as bad as JP. Sign a backup QB, oh no - we signed Fitzpatrick. Bills better get moving and sign some FAs, I can't believe the bums we're signing.

I am baffled - the overall tone of TSW these days seems to be, no matter what the Bills front office does, basically we are destined to still suck.

True or False?

People are frustrated and it's all your fault with your 19-0 stuff, you continue to let us down. :wallbash:

The odd playoff appearance would help though.

Sign Coles, don't sign Coles. Leonhard sucks, I can't believe the Jets signed Leonhard and we didn't. Extend Peters, or don't. Jauron needs to go, he deserves another year. Trent is our savior, Trent is just as bad as JP. Sign a backup QB, oh no - we signed Fitzpatrick. Bills better get moving and sign some FAs, I can't believe the bums we're signing.

I am baffled - the overall tone of TSW these days seems to be, no matter what the Bills front office does, basically we are destined to still suck.

True or False?

TRUE. This franchise will compete for a title only once it is sold and leaves WNY. If you wanna play in the NFL, go gotta be able to pay. the NFL has outgrown WNY and its conservative, provincial management team.

True or False?

If they would do something positive, maybe the attitude on here would reflect that. The FO can't get out of their own way this off season. The Bungles have long been known to be the cheapest, unknowledgeable front office in the NFL with one of the clueless and only cares about money owners-but they just out classed us, out bid us and engraved our name on the NFL's Biggest Joke Trophy.

Well, one point I'd stress is that Marv didn't start winning until his 3rd year, and he had Bruce Smith, Jim Kelly, etc.

No one would have been more pleased than me to see a coaching change or an upgrade at offensive coordinator, maybe bring in someone like...

Mike Leach

But all this incessant whining that we are destined to suck out loud - before the draft, before free agency runs its course, before we see if any trades are consummated - seems like a bunch of defeatist self-flagellation.

I understand there was a need to vent after last season - it's time to end the catharsis...

GO BILLSSS!!!!

Marv Levy took over in 1986 when the season was more than half over. In 1987 he took a perennial last place team and led them to 7-9. After only one full season, they won the division in 1988, you are not giving Levy the credit he deserves.

Senator - well said.

However, if you are looking for people to say the glass is now half full the Bills organization has offered little reason to do so - so far. We have the same exact coaching staff, there have been some additions by subtraction (Dockery, Royal and Losman), there is an effort to lock up your best o-lineman in time to focus on the season (a hotly contested issue on this board) and there have been tinkering moves through FA. Hard to say the Bills have moved the needle.

I will agree the Bills have not gotten worse. I'll repeat what I have said in other posts. Almost none of this (plus the draft) matters unless the following three things are true next season:

• Trent Edwards has to take a major step forward. The defense is not good enough to carry the team (though they were much better last season).
  • Very much related to number one ... our offensive coordinator needs to play to the strenght of his players and not hold a artificial belief that gameplans and playcalling is a process devoid of creativity. Stop blaming the players and either coach them so they can execute or change your plans to plays that are more likely to be succesful.
  • Our defensive line has to generate QB pressure and as a result turnovers.

As sick as it makes me to say it, one could argue that the fins did all three of the above last season and saw a huge turnaround.

Marv Levy took over in 1986 when the season was more than half over. In 1987 he took a perennial last place team and led them to 7-9. After only one full season, they won the division in 1988, you are not giving Levy the credit he deserves.

Marv didn't just win the division in '88, he got us to the AFC title game - and the following season, if it weren't for this play...

Ronnie Harmon

...Marv almost took us to 6 straight Superbowls.

No one gives Marv more credit than I do. There'll never be another Marv.

That doesn't mean we won't be a better team this season than we were last season. We're due. We're overdue...

GO BILLSSS!!!!

True or False?

No, there were plenty of things that could have been done the minute the season ended. But, they made the uphill climb even harder the minute Ralph decided to stick with the same Front Office and HC. And now, as the Bills appear to be holding on to their 30 million dollars to buy up every dvd season copy of Matlock, it just gets worse.

I mean, if you can honestly tell me that you see us signficantly better with more great things still to come, then I wish I could have whatever you're having.

Marv didn't just win the division in '88, he got us to the AFC title game - and the following season, if it weren't for this play...

Ronnie Harmon

...Marv almost took us to 6 straight Superbowls.

No one gives Marv more credit than I do. There'll never be another Marv.

That doesn't mean we won't be a better team this season than we were last season. We're due. We're overdue...

GO BILLSSS!!!!

We are more than overdue, we are overdue on overdue. It is getting to the point that it has been so long since we have been in the playoffs, I forgot what it is like to actually have a reason other than becuase I love football to watch the playoffs. Would be real nice for a change to actually have a team to route for.

No, there were plenty of things that could have been done the minute the season ended. But, they made the uphill climb even harder the minute Ralph decided to stick with the same Front Office and HC. And now, as the Bills appear to be holding on to their 30 million dollars to buy up every dvd season copy of Matlock, it just gets worse.

I mean, if you can honestly tell me that you see us signficantly better with more great things still to come, then I wish I could have whatever you're having.

That is absolutely correct. Every time a Coles, or any other name FA signs, the best we can do is a notch lower than we could have if we had signed one of them. Alot of people on this board keep saying be patient and we will get what we need-where are we going to get it if it isn't out there? Every day that goes by and we don't fill our needs, the quality of whats left to fill them goes down hill.

It's laughable that fans come to this board to vent about the status of the team, and are called out for complaining. Apparently the following isn't bad enough:

1. A 90 year old owner with no plans to provide for succession after he's gone.

2. Hiring an 80 year who worked as a GM for 2 years with poor results.

3. First hiring a reject from Chicago as HC and then retaining him after his last 10 games resulted in a 2-8 record.

4. Selling games to Toronto for an average of 9M+ per game which we're told won't go for better players.

5. Now not having a legitimate NFL GM to handle personnel.

6. Missing the playoffs 9 straight seasons, the last of which occurred in a year when Tom Brady was done for the season.

7. Finishing winless in the division for the first time in more than 30 years in 08.

8. Seeing 13 of 14 free agents from 06-07 be cut by the beginning of the 09.

9. Free Agency 09 which so far has resulted in backups on other teams asked to start or be the top backup for ours.

10. Most likely going to go with much the same group of players that could not win 10 games with the second easiest schedule in the NFL.

11. Knowing full well that the schedule will be much tougher in 09.

When people want to be optimistic, those are the items I think of. Perhaps more exist. Optimism for Bills fans is removing yourself from reality and going into the land of make believe. As in making believe the Bills are contenders for the post-season.

post of the f-ing year. it is a testament as to how hopelessly infected i am by this mess of a franchise that i even bother to log on and B word.

but jerry sullivan is "too negative."

These are the teams we play in 2009.

Home: Dolphins, Jets, Patriots, Buccaneers, Colts, Saints, Texans, Browns

Away: Dolphins, Jets, Patriots, Falcons, Jaguars, Panthers, Titans, Chiefs

I hope the Bills are marginally better next year. As was pointed out, Edwards needs to continue to improve and Schonert also. Both were virtual rookies last year at their jobs and will need to put their Stanford brains together and figure it out.

The Bills core group is pretty young too so there's hope for improvement from most of the roster.

Hopefully by the time the 2009 season kicks off there will be a tangible improvement to the talent, which hasn't happened yet.

Let's say we're a bit better next year based on the improvement of our young players and coaches.

We went 4-2 in division in 2007 and 0-6 in 2008. Now for the 2009 opponents:

In division:2-4

New England: clearly the best team we play next year. 0-2

Miami: We lost by 11 and 9 points. The Dolphins snuck up on a lot of teams last year. Just like they weren't as bad as their record in 2007 they aren't as good as their record last year. 1-1

Jets: Same problem with Jets as last year. The front office led by Mike Tannenbaum throws money around like a drunken sailor with worse results. Like Minnesota, they address every position except quarterback. We should have gone 1-1 against them last year and we split with them this year. 1-1

Home opponents 3-2

New Orleans and Houston are borderline playoff teams trying to take the next step. Both of their coaches are on the hot seat. Neither team is an established power or are road warriors. 1-1

Buccaneers, Browns, and Colts. Three teams that are tearing it down completely and starting over. 2-1

Away opponents 1-4

Carolina and Tennessee. Bona fide powers. Totally solid squads. 0-2

Falcons, Jaguars and Chiefs. Jaguars facing a pivotal year. We always play them close. Chiefs are totally rebuilding but Arrowhead is a tough visit. Falcons went worst to first like Miami but are probably not yet an elite team. 1-2

Unfortunately it looks like 6-10 to me.

If we can go 4-2 in division instead of 3-3, and if we can sweep Bucs, Browns, and Colts at home that improves us to 8-8. That is the optimistic outlook.

If we can upset one team we're not expected to beat like New England, Tennessee, Carolina or Atlanta, we're looking at a best case scenario of 9-7.

The most optimistic thing I can say is teams are never as good or as bad as they appear. Four teams in the last two years have gone worst to first. And the difference between a wild card team and a non-playoff team is very slim.

Regardless, I'll be cheering our heroes on.

Yea, we have a bunch of whiny gloomy people who don't know what they are talking about. They will always exist . We could go 500-0 next season (yea that is right, the bills could invent hundreds of games and win them), and we would complain about a pick trent threw in the superbowl while winning 49-0

You're dealing with the hypothetical. The real story is this. Dick Jauron is the head coach and has a staff full of guys of questionable coaching talent and he's deploying a bland and predictable game plan on both sides of the ball. The Bills have average talent. Like it or not, the Bills are going nowhere with this coaching staff regadless of who is in uniform. The good news however, is that the Bills are a year closer than last year to getting a new coach. Hopefully the next decade is better than this one.

Not true. If the bills make aggressive moves and signed some guys with talent, we of course are not destined to suck. The problem is that our management team does not make aggressive moves and does NOT bring in guys with talent, (See - the Florence signing) Hence, we do suck. Period. Hate on me all you want. NO ONE can argue my point.

and pay a bunch of guys a ton of money then have them suck like alot of other teams do during FA! JUST FACE IT MOST OF YOU GUYS PISS AND MOAN ABOUT EVERYTHING THE BILLS DO!and you call yourselves fans?

post of the f-ing year. it is a testament as to how hopelessly infected i am by this mess of a franchise that i even bother to log on and B word.

but jerry sullivan is "too negative."

I asked the question in another thread about what has Buffalo done in the past three years to make this team better. Free Agency has been almost a wash, the drafts haven't been what many initially thought they'd be. We have no GM. Ralph is 90, etc, etc, etc.

How can anyone go to bat for an organization run by primarily the same people for the past 7-8 years which finds new depths year after year? I certainly can't, and this free agency period has followed the same course of 2006: find cheap talent you hope outplays their contract. If they don't, it was a small investment anyway. Meanwhile, hope to be competitive, but if not don't be horrible.

Don't worry Senator, it's happening on every Bills MB. I know the future doesn't look too bright right now but the level of negativism is becoming tiresome.

Me, as always, I'll just hope for the best trying to be as objective as I can.