Tony Scheffler Is On The Trade Block!

I thought we already had one of those "decent blocking TE". His name was Robert Royal. He sucked at catching.

Time to try a new approach. Let's get a TE that can actually catch a ball. That way, when "checkdown charlie" ignores his WR (again ... well, hopefully not), he'll have another target to choose from.

That way, if Edwards gets comfortable and confident throwing to a reliable TE, he'll start trusting his WR, and take chances down field.

You missed an essential part of my post: "a RELIABLE outlet". Royal would have been fine, if he was reliable.

I agree that they need a TE that can get open, and catch.

There aren't just two kinds of TEs, those that can block, and those that can catch. Some can do both. If the Bills have a TE that really can't block, he will be useless, as every time he is on the field, you know the Bills are passing (if the last few years are any indication). The Bills regularly put themselves in impossible situations by the use of personnel and formations, as they pretty much reveal the play, beforehand.

Now, I don't know much about Sheffler's blocking ability. But, what I'm saying is, if he is worthless in the running game, then he probably isn't the right guy for the Bills, at this time.

You missed an essential part of my post: "a RELIABLE outlet". Royal would have been fine, if he was reliable.

There aren't just two kinds of TEs, those that can block, and those that can catch. Some can do both. If the Bills have a TE that really can't block, he will be useless, as every time he is on the field, you know the Bills are passing (if the last few years are any indication). The Bills regularly put themselves in impossible situations by the use of personnel and formations, as they pretty much reveal the play, beforehand.

Now, I don't know much about Sheffler's blocking ability. But, what I'm saying is, if he is worthless in the running game, then he probably isn't the right guy for the Bills, at this time.

He has a 65 grade, but this is before the 2008 season

Scheffler is a good-sized target who has above-average downfield speed, good body control and agility for his route-running skills. He has come a long ways in his ability to set up defenders and can separate well enough to gain a step on most safeties. He has adequate run after the catch tools, but does not have the afterburners to turn many catches into long touchdowns. He reads coverages well and does a good job of settling into soft spots in zone coverage to present a good target for the quarterback. He knows how to use his size and athleticism to be an effective receiver in the red zone and can reach up to highpoint the catch with his naturally soft hands. He is a decent blocker, at best, and needs to add more bulk and strength to sustain his blocks better. He will get rag dolled by some NFL linebackers and should get better with age and added strength.

I may have not clearly defined my point:

The Bills focused on a TE that could block, and it was hoped he would develop into one that could also catch. (Royal). That did not work out well.

My point was they should focus on a TE that can catch, and see if we can develop him into being able to block.

There aren't just two kinds of TEs, those that can block, and those that can catch. Some can do both.

I agree. However, there are very few of those types of TE playing in the NFL. Most clubs (like the Bills) have to find one or the other (pass vs block) and try to develop the guy into a more complete TE.

I think we want essentially the same thing, but are just looking at it from different angles.

If the Bills have a TE that really can't block, he will be useless, as every time he is on the field, you know the Bills are passing (if the last few years are any indication). The Bills regularly put themselves in impossible situations by the use of personnel and formations, as they pretty much reveal the play, beforehand.

This is mostly due to the inept coaching staff, and nothing to do with the players ability. Jauron and company seem clueless about the concept of "deception".

Yes, this would be a great pickup, but don't overpay. Remember a few years back when the Jets gave up a 1st round pick for Doug Jolley? Yeah, that's overpaying. I'd say no more than a third rounder, or a fourth and a fifth.

They did not give up a 1st for Jolley. They traded their 1st for Jolley and (at least) Oakland's 2nd. They did this because they wanted to draft Nugent & didn't want to use a 1st rounder on a kicker.