Ask Tim Graham

Lori

Tim, love the fact that you post here, regarding Jackson, isn't anyone in the FO worried about the attitude Jackson may develop (or already has) since the contract dispute with the FO? He seems like a valuable piece to have on the team it seems counter productive to have him angry and lose the chance to possibly lock him up long term. From my standpoint as a fan, i think he fills a role in a big way and the money he wants isn't that much, why not sign him and keep him happy?

Developing angst and disdain during a contract dispute is common in sports. If Jackson signs a deal that makes him happy, all of the negotiations will be forgotten. But this can turn ugly for Jackson to the point he signs his tender and starts counting the days to free agency.

But keeping a player happy comes in degrees and costs. For instance, the Bills making Jason Peters happy is much different than making Fred Jackson happy or Jon Corto happy.

• Replies 845
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OK, time for football questions for Tim:

It seems that it would be so easy to plug some of the remaining holes. I guess salary cap room is also a major consideration. I don't see how their roster now will be good enough to win in the division this year. There's still no legit Left Tackle (or right, if Butler slides right & Walker flips to left). Strong-side LB looks like Ellison or Nic Harris.

Really, when all is said and done, we're talking about a short-term (1yr?) band-aid solution for Strong-side LB and LT, as long as the rookies develop.

Will the Bills look at any more vets? (Be it trade or FAs?)

Brian Waters?

Levi Jones?

Also, what about LB? Is Derrick Brooks too old - has he retired? I heard he was making a decision soon.

I have not heard Brian Waters' name linked to the Bills in my travels.

The Bills will be paying attention to Levi Jones' situation. Levi Jones knows the Bills might be interested, too.

How much of an upgrade would Levi Jones be? I don't pretend to watch every Bengals game, but hasn't the guy been mediocre when healthy since signing his big contract extension 2 seasons ago? If he were such an upgrade, would the Bengals have used their premium draft choice to replace him?

I'm hearing the Bills and Lions are the best bets.

What, no link? :wallbash:

http://myespn.go.com/blogs/afceast/0-8-21/...-for-size-.html

And judging by how the Lions almost completely ignored their O-line in the draft after trying to get Derrick Dockery, I wonder if they were waiting for a vet like Jones to become available. (Daniel Loper? Yeah, okay.) And depending on their cap space after signing Larry Foote, they might be able to top anything the Bills would be willing to pay.

I've heard the Bills may have had some interest in Foote, and you know that a large percentage of the team's fans want to see anyone but Keith Ellison starting at LB this season. Care to speculate whether they might still try to make a move at that position?

Thanks.

I'm hearing the Bills and Lions are the best bets.

Tim,

Are people just seeing the possible hole at LT for the Bills, and ASSUMING we are interested in Jones, or have you actually heard that we are?

Thanks!

What about Arizona?

Also, is Derrick Brooks done for good?

Levi Jones has said he would like to play for his hometown team, but the Cardinals don't appear to be on the long list of possibilities.

Derrick Brooks is a mystery. He might be in the same situation as Rodney Harrison: Which came first the retirement or the lack of interest? But I do know Brooks has thrown himself into a variety of charity endeavors recently. Is he gearing up for life after football?

Tim, did the Bills sign Levi Jones or is it just a typo on the ESPN website?

Click link, then hover your mouse over the Bills logo to see list of players.

PTR

The Bills haven't signed him as far as I know. I'm guessing the tekkie that made that feature gleaned the names from John Clayton's story. John mentioned Jones as a possibility for the Bills, and the poll creator probably didn't look closely enough.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/columns/stor...&id=4148617

Tim, what is the norm now for signing UDFAs to contracts? Is it two years or three years? Or does it change for each team. It seems like it used to be two years for most of them but now I keep seeing three. Is three becoming the norm or no?

There's no rule of thumb early in free agency or later. It's whatever the team and the player feel most comfortable with.

There's no rule of thumb early in free agency or later. It's whatever the team and the player feel most comfortable with.

Many players are not going to go from being the star or one of the stars on their team, to signing a veteran minimum contract in May with a handshake to get a chance to make the team as a role player, backup, or special teams contributor. That is the effect of the salary cap: big name players that can no longer play up to their superstar status are forced out of the game before they really want to (or physically have to) go.

Hey Tim, thanks again for coming on this board to chat with us. I was wondering, with a hole still at OLB, whether the Bills would take a look at Pisa Tinoisamoa? He was the leading tackler on the Rams last year, but I guess they don't see him as a fit. He's a bit undersized, but that's how our defense plays, and he could play the SAM (weak side for everyone else) in the Tampa 2. Thoughts?

Hey Tim, thanks again for coming on this board to chat with us. I was wondering, with a hole still at OLB, whether the Bills would take a look at Pisa Tinoisamoa? He was the leading tackler on the Rams last year, but I guess they don't see him as a fit. He's a bit undersized, but that's how our defense plays, and he could play the SAM (weak side for everyone else) in the Tampa 2. Thoughts?

Isn't Pisa really tall? If I recall correctly he's been called towering. <_<