Ask Tim Graham

Lori

Tim, what is the status of LeCharles Bentley? Clayton mentioned the Bills interest a few times. Does that guy have anything left?

Tim,

Is here any updated information on LeCharles Bentley? At one it was said he was going to give up trying to come back, but then his name popped up periodically saying he was now sound and interested in coming back.

When he was healthy, he did seem to be quite a player.....

Word?

• Replies 845
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Slightly OT, but still in one of your areas of expertise. Who's in worse trouble right now, Regier or Ruff?

If we're having fun and it HAS to be one or the other, it's Darcy Regier. As long as Tom Golisano is owner, Lindy Ruff should be safe. Golisano loves Ruff. Golisano also has an affinity for Tim Connolly, and we've seen how far that goes.

Tim,

Is here any updated information on LeCharles Bentley? At one it was said he was going to give up trying to come back, but then his name popped up periodically saying he was now sound and interested in coming back.

When he was healthy, he did seem to be quite a player.....

Word?

I don't know what's become of Bentley, but I'll check around and try to get an answer for you. He fell off the face of the earth.

If we're having fun and it HAS to be one or the other, it's Darcy Regier. As long as Tom Golisano is owner, Lindy Ruff should be safe. Golisano loves Ruff. Golisano also has an affinity for Tim Connolly, and we've seen how far that goes.

I concur. I have never been a Regier fan.

Lindy is a terrific coach, but it simply might be time for him to go. I really hope not, but I'd understand if they decide to make the change, as long as "they" doesn't include Darcy {what a manly name).

Lindy is a terrific coach, but it simply might be time for him to go. I really hope not, but I'd understand if they decide to make the change, as long as "they" doesn't include Darcy {what a manly name).

If they ever do dump Ruff, he'll be out of work for approximately five seconds, and he'll take his next team deep into the playoffs. I still wonder if he regrets agreeing to a new deal before learning that they were going to let BOTH Drury and Briere walk.

Don't know if he'd be interested in the Habs job, the NHL's equivalent of the Yankees or Notre Dame football, but I'd love to see him there.

Not only does Golisano play politics with his wallet when it comes to the Syracuse boy, but wasn't it interesting that Larry Quinn greenlighted the original contract 3 years ago? The same Larry Quinn that refused to keep Pat LaFontaine because of his health risks from concussions and the liability involved.

Oh that's right....Quinn didn't grow up with LaFontaine's dad at Canisius High School like he did with Connolly's father.

My prediction is that Lindy Ruff eventually becomes GM. He has insisted he won't go to the front office until he wins the Stanley Cup as a coach, but I think he'll be as terrific as a GM as he has been behind the bench.

My prediction is that Lindy Ruff eventually becomes GM. He has insisted he won't go to the front office until he wins the Stanley Cup as a coach, but I think he'll be as terrific as a GM as he has been behind the bench.

In the vein of this discussion, what do you think is likelihood that players such as Hecht, Talinder and some of the older core players who coming off injury have just not returned to their previous form or some of the young guys like Stafford, Paille and McCarthur who are not scoring will be traded or not return next year?

Tim,

Not too many of us like the idea of the Bills moving to Toronto (or god forbid, LA). I have a Canadian friend who does not like it either. Many Canadians, he tells me, don't like the idea. Do you have any contacts in Canada who might be able to comment on this? What ever happened with the legislation in the Canadian Parliament to block NFL teams from moving north? If the Bills moved to LA, does Buffalo have the muscle to pull off what Cleveland was able to do with the Browns?

Hi Tim,

Are their any other suitors that you have been hearing about for Peters? I know we've heard the speculation about Philly and Detroit because of their obvious needs at the Tackle position and they seem to have the ammo to do it with their multiple first round picks. But other than the chatter that we've heard, have you heard any concrete interest from any team officials?

That would be great, as far as I'm concerned.

Tim, if the Bills trade Peters to Philly is this trade scenario a possible answer? Peters and the Bills third for Philly's two first round picks.

I wonder if the Eagles' first-round picks are too late in the order. To me, the appeal starts to wane around No. 20, and the Eagles have Nos. 21 and 28. But both of them together are attractive.

I don't know. Lindy seems born to coach. When you hear his post game stuff, and his radio segments, he seems to take each loss harder than his players do. Ruff, as a player, and I think as a (great) coach, always seems to use his emotion to get through the tough times. If he is a GM, any coach that has a bad streak for his team, better be looking over his shoulder...remember Bowman and Jim Schoenfeld?

I don't know. Lindy seems born to coach. When you hear his post game stuff, and his radio segments, he seems to take each loss harder than his players do. Ruff, as a player, and I think as a (great) coach, always seems to use his emotion to get through the tough times. If he is a GM, any coach that has a bad streak for his team, better be looking over his shoulder...remember Bowman and Jim Schoenfeld?

Which brings up an interesting idea. Schoenfeld is the top assistant with the Rangers. Wonder what Linde and Shoeney's relationship is like. They would make an interesting pair?!

That's a legit concern, and one I even considered. I'd like to think that Lindy could concentrate on rebuilding this team (or at least shoring it up) and could leave the coaching to a competent coach. One the job is pretty well done (whenever that might be)...well, if the coach wasn't getting it done, I think Lindy might return to the ice. Would that be a bad thing?

Remember, Bowman was a legendary Stanley Cup winning coach, and Schoenfeld was a newbie. I don't think the Sabres would have that kind of disparity, should Ruff take the GM spot.