Life On Mars

Acantha

The original Life on Mars lasted two series (16 episodes) in the UK before the main character's storyline was over.

Another series with a new main character (but all the old time cops reappearing) set in a different time (the 80s) followed, called Ashes to Ashes. Has finished its first (8 run) series and is due for a second this year.

Might be worth looking into if you want more (and especially if you have any familiarity with the Sweeney, a 70s cop show in the UK), but I think LoM US is very similar but with different cultural references (I can not foresee Football (soccer) violence playing a major part in the US show somehow...

Great shows. Might have a look at the US one at some point.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh that Reaper looks like a winner. 0:) and fear not its on the WB or CN or whatever they change those BS networks every three years.

How's buffy doing???

I can't tell if you're being an ass or not..... :thumbsup:

Buffy lasted 7 seasons, more than most shows do nowadays. It also ended on a good note, as did Angel (5 seasons - spinoff of Buffy). Thanks for asking.... :wallbash:

Reaper is back for its second season -- and the show is very well written and a hoot to watch. The best part -- the CW doesn't expect huge ratings, so won't pull the plug if "only" 2 million people are watching.

Writers go on strike, but we loot show ideas from England (all the way back to All in the Family)

Cerebral, or shows relatively so are taken off the air, but prime time 'adult' cartoons linger.

To quote Yakov Smirnov (sic) "What a country"

US/UK influence on each other's TV has been going on for fifty years. Most notable with cop shows and how they have developed over the years. We do get to see a lot more of your better stuff these days (and a lot more of our home produced carp) thanks to satellite/cable.

Cracker/The Office/Life on Mars are just continuing a long tradition.

With the good American shows we just buy and show them, and then continue producing our own stuff, rather than remaking American shows (I am sure there have been some exceptions to this rule). I guess with Holywood dominating cinema for so long it is a lot easier for us to understand US cultural references than vice versa.

(BTW I like Family Guy...:thumbsup: )

Damn straight man. What's a brother to do these days with the white man controlling everything we do!!!! Ain't this some sh*t!!!!!

Just think, you'll have to prepare yourself that you will miss seeing Ms. G. Moll in HD on a weekly basis.

-----------------------

By the way, how is that needle working out for you.

G. Mol will always live on in my heart. And in my dvd of The Notorious Betty Page! (Wow! If you like G. Mol at all, you need to see this movie!)

---------------------

Funny thing about that needle I bought. I snapped that thing on my turntable and it really was an improvement in the sound. I was very happy with the upgrade (elliptical instead of conical). Then about three days later, my turntable totally crapped out on me. The motor died. It was a bottom of the line Sony belt drive. The funny part is that a friend of mine happened to have a turntable he was no longer using. A bottom of the line Audio Technica belt drive. I offered to pay him for it, but he just gave it to me no charge. Turns out that it's basically interchangeable with the one I had that died. It takes the exact same stylus. So I just switched it out and I'm back in business. Sounds great!

• 3 weeks later...
Series Finale tonight I believe.......sigh....

My Tivo says that there is a new episode on April 1 titled "Life is A Rock" - A mysterious caller tells Sam how he can return to 2008.

Of course, it could be an Aprils Fools joke, but I don't think so.

I watched last weeks episode and they said there were two more. This weeks and the finale. Will Michael Imperioli die at the end of two series?

He was shot last week.

In the UK series, he was in a coma, came out of it, realized he wanted to be in 1973 and jumped off a building (dying) and going back to 1973 for good.

I had a little idea on the real ending at about 10:45 when all the space references really came up. I liked it.

Gretchen Mol- is she blond or brunette. I like her blond, of course I'm partial to blonds.

Imperioli's dream should have been that he was a mobster. That would have been funny.

How did it end?

Spoiler Alert-only go down to the bottom if you don't have it taped, dvr'd etc.

I hated the ending. All the characters are astronauts in the future (2035 I think) and they were in these pods where they each chose a different virtual reality while the flight was on its way to land on Mars. Sam chose to be a cop. It turns out his real father, who is also an astronaut is Harvey Keitel. Annie is the leader on the spaceship & the guy from the last season of Homicide is their leader on Earth. Obama's daughter is now President. They land on Mars & go out to its surface.

Have to disagree. Totally lame ending to a show that showed much promise. Sorry.

PTR

I thought it was good, actually. Double that, given the short notice they had to put it all together, after getting told they were canceled. It may have been a bit of a stunt...but the stunt was well conceived, and executed, IMO.

I thought it was good, actually. Double that, given the short notice they had to put it all together, after getting told they were canceled. It may have been a bit of a stunt...but the stunt was well conceived, and executed, IMO.

That's fine, but don't get me started with the liberties they took with the Laws of Physics.

PTR