For all of you who want Jason Peters RESIGNED

"How much the Bills spend in free agency may come down to Jason Peters. Russ Brandon has exchanged proposals with Peters agent, Eugene Parker. According to a source, Parker has told the Bills he expects Peters to be paid as the AFC’s top offensive tackle. Miami’s Jake Long currently holds that distinction after the top pick of 2008 signed a 5-year, $57.5-million dollar deal with $30-million guaranteed. -FOX SPORTS"

Do you really feel jason peters is worth 11.5 mil a year? Im sorry I don think hes worth that much. JAke Long as a rookie was 10 times better than he was. I wouldn pay him more than dockery was paid 8 mil a year dont even think hes worth that much either.

But you tell me is he worth 11.5 mil in your opinion? :rolleyes:

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think so. And I am so !@#$ing sick of our best players walking with little effort to resign- and us not pursuing top notch free agents! Pay the man! And sign some real players- not tomato cans!

is Peters worth that? its tough to say definitely one way or the other. i was pissed (and still am) about the hold out and all that BS.

however... with the cap room that we have, id like to see it spent on our existing quality players. maybe not as much as Parker is dreaming about, but somewhere close. its not like he is going to get any cheaper next year.

is Peters worth that? its tough to say definitely one way or the other. i was pissed (and still am) about the hold out and all that BS.

however... with the cap room that we have, id like to see it spent on our existing quality players. maybe not as much as Parker is dreaming about, but somewhere close. its not like he is going to get any cheaper next year.

Is he worth it? Most likely. Has he recently demonstrated this worth? Not at all.

His agent is doing what he is suppose to be doing....

Negotiating

you see that is how negotiating works, you start off with a high price and you work yourself down.

Interesting concept, but it has been proven to work

Peters is only worth what somebody is willing to pay him. Whether that's more or less than the highest paid OT is not the point, Eugene Parker's stance notwithstanding. There are always going to be guys who get paid less and play better and guys who get paid more who are worse.

My concern about not re-signing him is the potential negative impact it has on the players when they see an outsider like Coles, let's say, get paid big jack when he's never done squat for the organization vs. a guy like Greer who has. Resentment is an easy thing to foster in any working environment when those that have been there see an outsider come in and be more valued than they are.

There's a lot to be said for paying your own first.

GO BILLS!!!

"How much the Bills spend in free agency may come down to Jason Peters. Russ Brandon has exchanged proposals with Peters agent, Eugene Parker. According to a source, Parker has told the Bills he expects Peters to be paid as the AFC’s top offensive tackle. Miami’s Jake Long currently holds that distinction after the top pick of 2008 signed a 5-year, $57.5-million dollar deal with $30-million guaranteed. -FOX SPORTS"

Do you really feel jason peters is worth 11.5 mil a year? Im sorry I don think hes worth that much. JAke Long as a rookie was 10 times better than he was. I wouldn pay him more than dockery was paid 8 mil a year dont even think hes worth that much either.

So the Bills "re-sign" Peters to a 4 or 5 year contract and he is the highest paid LT in the league. The following year some other teams sign LT's to huge contracts and now Peters is 3rd or 4th on the list. Will he still be happy? Will Peters hold out for more money again? I guess it comes down to, do the Bills feel the Peters will be a distraction for the rest of his career? If so, trade him. If not, sign him. But I really don't see the Bills shelling out 11 mil per year for him.

JAke Long as a rookie was 10 times better than he was.

Where did you get that idea? Cuz some football related internet site said Peters gave up like 13 sacks last year? (about half of which were Dockery's fault) ...

Peters is only worth what somebody is willing to pay him. Whether that's more or less than the highest paid OT is not the point, Eugene Parker's stance notwithstanding. There are always going to be guys who get paid less and play better and guys who get paid more who are worse.

My concern about not re-signing him is the potential negative impact it has on the players when they see an outsider like Coles, let's say, get paid big jack when he's never done squat for the organization vs. a guy like Greer who has. Resentment is an easy thing to foster in any working environment when those that have been there see an outsider come in and be more valued than they are.

There's a lot to be said for paying your own first.

GO BILLS!!!

Just as food for thought- We have paid alot of money to Schobel and Kelsay and now everyone is complaining about how they are overpaid and not worth the money they are being paid. Just to name 2 of ours that we paid first. :rolleyes:

So the Bills "re-sign" Peters to a 4 or 5 year contract and he is the highest paid LT in the league. The following year some other teams sign LT's to huge contracts and now Peters is 3rd or 4th on the list. Will he still be happy? Will Peters hold out for more money again? I guess it comes down to, do the Bills feel the Peters will be a distraction for the rest of his career? If so, trade him. If not, sign him. But I don't see the Bills shelling out 11 mil per year for him.

No. Peters is holding out because:

(1) A guy that never took an NFL snap was making upwards of $10M per season, while his own salary was set to decrease for the next 2 seasons

(2) He was the 3rd-highest paid player on his own offensive line, and is the only player on that line that could start for just about every other team in the NFL

(3) The average salary for a starting left tackle eclipses $5M, Peters was (and still is) making less than half of that

His holdout was totally understandable. He's not a malcontent, he simply wants to be paid on a level commensurate with his performance, which is worth at least $8M per season. Anybody out there that wouldn't do the same in their own line of work is nuts. Period.

It'd be nice to get 'the Peters situation' resolved. OTOH, $11.5M/year, $30M guaranteed, is a lot of money for a guy whose level of play fell off last season, and who finished the last two seasons injured. Unfortunately, I see this going the exact same way as last season - unreasonable $$$ demand, holdout, finally reporting out of shape, slow start, sub par season, and another injury. Run the same tape back again next off-season, then slap the franchise tag on him in 2011.

Na they should let our LT walk right out the door with no compensation, because fans dont want to see him get paid, and create yet another hole in an endless string of created holes. This way instead of just looking for defensive front 7 players a center and lg. We can add a LT to that mix as well. Makes perfect sense to me. :rolleyes:

No. Peters is holding out because:

(1) A guy that never took an NFL snap was making upwards of $10M per season, while his own salary was set to decrease for the next 2 seasons

(2) He was the 3rd-highest paid player on his own offensive line, and is the only player on that line that could start for just about every other team in the NFL

(3) The average salary for a starting left tackle eclipses $5M, Peters was (and still is) making less than half of that

His holdout was totally understandable. He's not a malcontent, he simply wants to be paid on a level commensurate with his performance, which is worth at least $8M per season. Anybody out there that wouldn't do the same in their own line of work is nuts. Period.

According to the original post, he's not looking for 8M, he's looking to be the highest paid in the AFC, which would be around 11 or 12M. Yes his holdout is understandable, and I would think 8M is fair and he deserves it IMO. I know why he's holding out. If you read the original post, then read my post, you might understand my point.

Is Jason Peters, dollar for dollar worth 11.5 million a year? Maybe, maybe not. But I don't think it really matters. The bottom line to me is, this team is much better with Jason Peters maybe being a little overpaid at LT, than signing a 1.5 mil/yr talent who is worth 1.5 mil/yr.

If you're going to be competitive, you're going to overpay for players. If we want to sit here every offseason and say "I'm glad we didn't overpay for this guy and that guy, we have real 'value' in the contracts our team has signed..." we're probably going to continue missing the playoffs for a long time.

The bottom line is, Jason Peters is a damn good LT and we're not signing anyone who could hold his jock strap to replace him, if he walks. So yes, all things considered, pay the man.

That's just Ye Ole' Cotton's 2 cents. Who is with me?

Just as food for thought- We have paid alot of money to Schobel and Kelsay and now everyone is complaining about how they are overpaid and not worth the money they are being paid. Just to name 2 of ours that we paid first. :rolleyes:

Fair point. But still a point made in retrospect. I've never questioned extending Schobel, his career justified the dollars at the time given the comparisons to other highly paid DEs. People who complain about Schobel know little about DE play in general and even less about his responsibilities in our system.

Kelsey, even then, was more of a question mark but I could see where the FO was coming from. If not the Bills, someone would have given him the same, if not more.

Regarding Peters' renegotiation the simple fact that he plays a premium position and has been a 2-time Pro Bowler at that premium position (regardless of his being deserving of it or not) gives him a certain amount of justification.

GO BILLS!!!

Let me start by saying that $11.5 million per year for anyone is obscene when compared to the average hard working American slob that will earn a tiny fraction of this over a career. Top players get what they get so not much use in debating this aspect of the situation.

I assume you are among the group that holds a grudge over the fact Peters held out last year. Time to get over it.

Does it matter to you that people who evaluate players for a living consistenly agree that Peters is one of, if not the best, left tackles in the game? Do you read at all about the fact that teams covet good left tackles and this is the reason why they get paid so much money? Throw in the mix that it has come out of the woodwork that Dockery sucked so you wonder how much of Peters "poor play" is having to deal with a linemate that turned out to be subpar.

Given the market for left tackles I do not think the offer is unreasonable. Keep in mind that as many as four LT's may be selected in the top 15 in the draft and they may see stupid money like Long received last year. Look at what Carolina had to do to lock up Gross and what the Rams paid to sign Pace to a long term contract.

Just think about the money Peters would see if he hit the market as a free agent. He is a player the Bills need to lock up.

He deserves $10 million a year. We need a LG so he doesn't need to worry about two rushers, though.

Ye Ole' Cotton will volunteer to stand and lay some "lumber" on the interior. I ask only for 2 yr./5 mil contract with 2 mil guaranteed, and incentives/escalators that could push the total value to 7.5 mil for things like Pro Bowl selections.