Pakistani Attack On Sri Lankan Cricket Team, 6 dead.

Steely Dan

Link

ISLAMABAD, Pakistan (CNN) -- At least six security personnel were killed and eight members of Sri Lanka's cricket team hurt -- including two with gunshot wounds -- in an attack Tuesday on the team's bus by gunmen in Lahore, Pakistan.

A video grab shows a suspected gunman near Gaddafi Stadium in Lahore, Pakistan, Tuesday.

The Sri Lankan players were traveling to the city's Gaddafi Stadium for the third day of the second test match against Pakistan at around 9 a.m. local time (11 p.m. ET) when the attack occurred.

Pakistan, which is battling Islamist and Taliban insurgents in its North West Frontier Province, has struggled to attract visiting cricket teams in recent years because of security concerns.Video Watch how attack strikes at legitimacy of Pakistani government »

The current test series with Sri Lanka is the Pakistani team's first since touring India in 2007.

In 2002 a car bomb exploded outside a hotel where the New Zealand cricket team was staying.

Last year Australia canceled a proposed tour in the wake of a series of suicide bombings. The International Cricket Council was also forced to postpone the high-profile ICC Champions Trophy after five of the eight participants pulled out.

Geez, it's only a game.

The jihadists really disapprove of cricket.

It's payback for the Sri Lakan team running up the score on the Taliban team last year.*

*I shouldn't joke about this it's a tragedy but I can't help myself. I'm a terrible person. :rolleyes:

*I shouldn't joke about this it's a tragedy but I can't help myself. I'm a terrible person. :rolleyes:

Sometimes the only way to cope with how grim life can be is to joke about it. :w00t:

The jihadists (or at a decent portion of them) think cricket distracts people from what they should be doing in their spare time - worshipping Allah,

Fuggin' nutjobs.