John Guy needs to be called out

Ever since he got here our free agents have done nothing to make this team better. Dockery, Gandy, Reyes, Fitzpatrick, Whittle, Tripplett, ....a lot more misses than hits.

Remember the days of Bryce Paup, Ted Washington, Jim Jeffcoat? The pro personnel guy knew what he was doing and what was needed to be successful.

I think he came here with TD? He should resign..they can find someone better.

Ever since he got here our free agents have done nothing to make this team better. Dockery, Gandy, Reyes, Fitzpatrick, Whittle, Tripplett, ....a lot more misses than hits.

Remember the days of Bryce Paup, Ted Washington, Jim Jeffcoat? The pro personnel guy knew what he was doing and what was needed to be successful.

He must have nude photos of Ralph and Russ Brandon...together (sorry for the horrible visual). Guy should have been let go a long time ago. Then again, given the Bills' current business model of ineptitude, he fits right in...

Has John Guy had any hits in FA? I think it has been all misses.

When did Guy come aboard? Since 2001, I'd say we've had a few hits:

Larry Centers, Langston Walker, Sam Adams, London Fletcher, Takeo Spikes, Lawyer Milloy, and Troy Vincent.

Anyone I'm missing? That's about one every year, maybe a little less. And only one since Donahoe got fired.

Jim Jeffcoat as a reference to the good ole days??? Wow!!!!He was awful and should have retired before coming to Buffalo.

Bryce Paup was a tremendous pick-up from Green Bay. He was a QB sacking machine for 2+ years.

Here's one thing that's never talked about:

Just as the Bills are hamstrung by their budget in signing free agents, they may be also limited in other areas such as scouting, both pro and amateur, by their budget.

I'm not stating this theory as fact but it is a fact that the Bills are near the bottom of the NFL in revenues and operating budget.

So that would logically make it harder to thoroughly scout players and make sound evaluations of them due to having a tight budget.

In other words, they might be understaffed. For a real life example, people who haven't worked in restaurants for a living might have crappy service at dinner one night and blame whatever. They might not consider the fact that the restaurant owner is so cheap that he doesn't hire enough help to get the work done.

Just sayin' it's a possibility. None of know for sure but maybe Modrak and Guy don't have enough staff or enough good staff to do a good job.

That's why bringing Buddy Nix back to the organization made me so happy.

Just as the Bills are hamstrung by their budget in signing free agents, they may be also limited in other areas such as scouting, both pro and amateur, by their budget.

I'm not stating this theory as fact but it is a fact that the Bills are near the bottom of the NFL in revenues and operating budget.

So that would logically make it harder to thoroughly scout players and make sound evaluations of them due to having a tight budget.

In other words, they might be understaffed. For a real life example, people who haven't worked in restaurants for a living might have crappy service at dinner one night and blame whatever. They might not consider the fact that the restaurant owner is so cheap that he doesn't hire enough help to get the work done.

Just sayin' it's a possibility. None of know for sure but maybe Modrak and Guy don't have enough staff or enough good staff to do a good job.

Good thought but I say horsepucky. EVERY NFL team makes many many millions. If they dont its their own fault.

See... this is the beauty of the whole structure for Ralph. No one knows who the phukc is in charge. You don't have a traditional GM or Asst. GM and a clear pecking order. No one individual seems to be held accountable. It's run be committee. They all get vote, or so it seems, and Ralph makes the call.

The assumption is that John Guy, head of pro personnel, makes all the decisions on who to bring in from the pro ranks, and Modrak being head of college scouting drafts the players.

Neither is true. Guy and Modrak are just gatherers of information and evaluators. They have video and a dossier on every player.

Do you think Guy rates Hangartner higher than a Matt Birk or Nick Mangold? Of course not. Hangartner ain't even in their class.

The dude that's making the call is Ralph... Guy brings the book of Free agents to Russ (PT BARNEM) Brandon... also known as Ralph's B word. On Ralph's orders, Brandon tears out the pages of any free agent on the A list or B list. That leaves the C and D lists. Next year Guy should remember not to scout any players that could be potentially A or B listers... he'd save himself a lot of time by just scouting the C's & D's and hand Russ the list.

Arizona Cardinals just went to the Super Bowl. Cheapest organization in all of sports. Hire the right people and you don't need bloated staffs and extra talent evaluators.

Although his track record is so-so....Spikes, Stroud good....Dockery big miss. I don't think he went in to FA and told the GM that Larry Tripplett was the best DT in FA. He had a realistic budget and gave his advice of decent FAs out there at various positons. I think he probably had Haynesworth ranked number one this year as the best DT.....but the Bills were not going to pay 100M. Despite that, his record is certainly better than the Redskins without the resources to spend....looking on the bright side of things. And until the Bills get better they will not sign aging veterans like Taylor etc...as those guys want to go to a contender.