Reason #1 why US automakers are dying on the vine

bills_fan

Don't blame the auto companies for a salesman trying to make an extra buck. The reason the auto industry is in crappy shape is because of p!sspoor managment from the top down for too long.

However, dealers sure don't help the image of the auto industry or the companies they sell for by using these sleezy underhanded tactics when selling their products. I did buy my Jeep (2003 Wrangler) for straight cash and I could just see the tears welling up in the sales manager's eyes when I wrote the check rather than playing 400 a month for 5 years on a 3 year old vehicle. Car dealers are in the same category of slime as personal injury lawyers and politicians in my book.

Don't blame the auto companies for a salesman trying to make an extra buck. The reason the auto industry is in crappy shape is because of p!sspoor managment from the top down for too long.

However, dealers sure don't help the image of the auto industry or the companies they sell for by using these sleezy underhanded tactics when selling their products. I did buy my Jeep (2003 Wrangler) for straight cash and I could just see the tears welling up in the sales manager's eyes when I wrote the check rather than playing 400 a month for 5 years on a 3 year old vehicle. Car dealers are in the same category of slime as personal injury lawyers and politicians in my book.

Gotta be a better way though. When I bought mine, I called a bunch of Jeep dealers in the tri-state area and asked for a fax with the MSRP and their opening price, with every option and MOPAR accessory I wanted listed, including their prices. Anyone who would not do that, did not get my business. I had 5 dealerships send me faxes, I dealt with the one that gave me the best price (knowing full well my Wrangler would be a factory-order, and that they were a bit limited). When I walked in to place the order, it was akin to walking into a pizzera and ordering cheese-pepperoni-half sausage, everything had already been worked out over the phone. I understand my experience was not typical.

Gotta be a better way though. When I bought mine, I called a bunch of Jeep dealers in the tri-state area and asked for a fax with the MSRP and their opening price, with every option and MOPAR accessory I wanted listed, including their prices. Anyone who would not do that, did not get my business. I had 5 dealerships send me faxes, I dealt with the one that gave me the best price (knowing full well my Wrangler would be a factory-order, and that they were a bit limited). When I walked in to place the order, it was akin to walking into a pizzera and ordering cheese-pepperoni-half sausage, everything had already been worked out over the phone. I understand my experience was not typical.

That's what I"ve done with both cars I've purchased -- I assume the dealer likes it because they don't waste much time and still make some cash. I like it because it's no pressure. Win-win.

That's been a thought of mine for years...why can't dealerships be more like pizzerias? Go in, pick out what you want and go. I know its a bit tougher with cars, but there has to be a way that it could be done economically.

And, unfortunately, it has to be with Jeep (full disclosure, I own a Jeep Wrangler, 2005 that I love).

What a friggin disaster story...

http://consumerist.com/5162727/jeep-incapa...h-24000-in-cash

This is why I drive a 12 year old Chrysler..buying a new car leaves you feeling dirty and disgusting. Bought the wife a Mercedes about a year ago. Every time I buy a car I feel as though I have to take a shower after. Dealer was not happy that I paid cash for her car. Sad reality is that I will drive my piece of crap car and avoid paying for another simply because dealerships have no clue. I can easily afford a new one but refuse to buy until I absolutely have to.

Good strategy. Mine is the opposite. I go to three or four dealers, drive the various cars I want (generally three similar models, two or three years old) do my research and then go in for the kill. I bring the checkbook. I talk with the salesman, drive around, meet with him forever, haggle every little thing. Every time he tries to get me to do something, I do something different. "Wait here while I check with my manager"...I leave, get lunch do chores and come back. Start over. The key is I get HIM to invest hours and hours in the sale before I give him the bottom line. Then when he starts with the boss thing...and brings the boss in. I pull out the checkbook. "Are you into bullshitting all day or are you into selling cars?" If I don't like the answer I leave. The guy calls me two days later accepting my last price. I tell him I have a better offer (and in fact I do) and lower my last bottom line another two hundred. Price accepted. I don't do this very often as I keep the car five or six years, but I do get a kick out of the process. I learned a long time ago I wasn't going to change it so I figured I would make my own game out of it.

Not to mention labor costs far exceed competitors.

Good strategy. Mine is the opposite. I go to three or four dealers, drive the various cars I want (generally three similar models, two or three years old) do my research and then go in for the kill. I bring the checkbook. I talk with the salesman, drive around, meet with him forever, haggle every little thing. Every time he tries to get me to do something, I do something different. "Wait here while I check with my manager"...I leave, get lunch do chores and come back. Start over. The key is I get HIM to invest hours and hours in the sale before I give him the bottom line. Then when he starts with the boss thing...and brings the boss in. I pull out the checkbook. "Are you into bullshitting all day or are you into selling cars?" If I don't like the answer I leave. The guy calls me two days later accepting my last price. I tell him I have a better offer (and in fact I do) and lower my last bottom line another two hundred. Price accepted. I don't do this very often as I keep the car five or six years, but I do get a kick out of the process. I learned a long time ago I wasn't going to change it so I figured I would make my own game out of it.

God bless you for that. Personally, I just don't have the time to deal with that back and forth on multiple days and at multiple times.

That's been a thought of mine for years...why can't dealerships be more like pizzerias? Go in, pick out what you want and go. I know its a bit tougher with cars, but there has to be a way that it could be done economically.

Wasn't the original Firebird (Pontiac) marketed like that back in 1967... You into the dealer and fill out the order form of what you wanted and they sent it off to the factory.

Any old-timer out there (calling Cincy, calling Cincy stat! :rolleyes: ) remember any other ways they used to do things?

The problem I think is the huge inventory that dealers have on the lot.

I agree Tenny. Where they have people over the barrel is with the ones that NEED a car ASAP. Obviously, you plan ahead. Most Americans do not or can't.

What a Tough guy!!! :rolleyes::w00t: