Local TV station in Syracuse (CBS affiliate) drops newscasts

A free press is vital in a democracy. The death of TV news and newspapers is a real crisis.

PTR

The American press hasn't existed as news outlet for about 30 years. Nowadays it provides nothing more than entertainment.

I'd be more willing to mourn it's imminent demise if it hadn't happened decades ago without anyone noticing.

This sounds similar to the arrangement between Ch. 8 (CBS) and Ch. 7 (Fox) made several years ago in Rochester.

Ch. 8's staff provides local news on Ch. 7 @ 10:00 and then goes on at their own station @ 11:00.

A free press is vital in a democracy. The death of TV news and newspapers is a real crisis.

PTR

Only to people who can't read. As a WB affiliate, I gotta believe their "news room" was two guys and a goat...

Only to people who can't read. As a WB affiliate, I gotta believe their "news room" was two guys and a goat...

Actually, WTVH is a CBS affiliate, and part of the Bills' broadcast network.

Wow .. certainly a good bit of discussion around the loss of local newspapers but never thought about local TV news casts being in the same boat.

Granite has been circling the drain for a while now. See: departures of well-paid anchors such as Susan Banks and John Murphy, and large pay cuts for Keith Radford and Mike Randall, at WKBW.

And WGRZ is owned by Gannett. They've hacked and slashed much like the GCI-owned newspapers, including more or less forcing consumer reporter Mike Igoe to take a buyout at the beginning of the year.

I must say, I rarely watch local news broadcasts. However, just last week, here in Austin, three of the local affiliates announced, as has happened in newspapers, to cut costs, they would "poo" their coverage. In other words, only one of the affiliates would send out a camera crew to local news events, and all the stations would share the footage. Univision is the only station that declined to participate... while DC Tom has some valid points, you have to wonder now, where will people get their news from? Where will all of the little bloggers get their news from, so they can pass it off as news to the "smart people" who read it? I suspect that things will evolve somehow...there will always be good journalists, just fewer outlets to hear/read them.

But where does it say that the entire staff was let go?

Not on their own site, to be sure, with its glowing talk of "improving efficiency."

For the real news on this, check the newspaper.

Syracuse Post-Standard: Syracuse's Channel 5 cuts at least 40 workers, guts news division

(Mind you, if/when the P-S gets out the long knives, that scenario also works in reverse ...)

while DC Tom has some valid points, you have to wonder now, where will people get their news from? Where will all of the little bloggers get their news from, so they can pass it off as news to the "smart people" who read it? I suspect that things will evolve somehow...there will always be good journalists, just fewer outlets to hear/read them.

From a blurb in the newspaper this morning....

After talking to journalism students at Stony Brook University recently, John Houseman of New York's WPIX-TV left behind 18 new video cameras.

Houseman, assistant news director at WPIX, had enlisted students at the Long Island campus as contributors to his news operation with an investment of $119 per camera. He wants the budding journalists — as well as students at Fordham, Rutgers and New York universities — to send in material if they see something they believe to be a story.

While the program offers an opportunity for students, it has raised alarms among some professional journalists and technicians who wonder if it's the sort of thing that might one day threaten their jobs. Just like newspapers, local TV news operations are suffering mightily with the economy and disappearing advertising revenue.

As for Channel 5 this morning, their regular morning newscast was just a simulcast of Channel 3. But they were running different commercials.

This sounds similar to the arrangement between Ch. 8 (CBS) and Ch. 7 (Fox) made several years ago in Rochester.

Ch. 8's staff provides local news on Ch. 7 @ 10:00 and then goes on at their own station @ 11:00.

Same in Jax, Fla. It's been going on for years, just gathering steam now.

The American press hasn't existed as news outlet for about 30 years. Nowadays it provides nothing more than entertainment.

I'd be more willing to mourn it's imminent demise if it hadn't happened decades ago without anyone noticing.

IMO, it coincided with the corporate take overs. The news business was looked at as a business full of fat and that if severe cuts were made it would become a profitable business but it was the killer blow to accurate news reporting. In areas where there would have been three reporters to verify a story there was only one and then once a news source put something out all the other news outlets would grab it without investigating on their own. Whitehouse press releases are pretty much taken and slightly re-worded and printed without any fact checking. If Nixon were President nobody would let Woodward and Bernstein spend so much time on one story that may or may not lead to a giant cover up. JMO

From a blurb in the newspaper this morning....

After talking to journalism students at Stony Brook University recently, John Houseman of New York's WPIX-TV left behind 18 new video cameras.

Houseman, assistant news director at WPIX, had enlisted students at the Long Island campus as contributors to his news operation with an investment of $119 per camera. He wants the budding journalists — as well as students at Fordham, Rutgers and New York universities — to send in material if they see something they believe to be a story.

While the program offers an opportunity for students, it has raised alarms among some professional journalists and technicians who wonder if it's the sort of thing that might one day threaten their jobs. Just like newspapers, local TV news operations are suffering mightily with the economy and disappearing advertising revenue.

As for Channel 5 this morning, their regular morning newscast was just a simulcast of Channel 3. But they were running different commercials.

HLN's i-reports are just a way to get free footage of events that happen. Rather than pay for footage of events they get dupes to send it in free for only the mention of their name on TV.

:thumbsup:

And you thought the coverage was sh*tty before

Damn you Dev (shaking fist) You beat me to it!!