Fixing the O-Line

I really like the Buffalo Rumblings guy, but I've noticed over the last couple days he thinks a bit too highly of Chambers in my opinion. Chambers is a valuable utility guy, but should not be looked at as the answer at LG. If they decide to defer picking up a guard until the draft, it better be a 1st or 2nd round pick who can start from day one.

I really like this guy, but I've noticed ove the last couple days he thinks a bit too highly of Chambers in my opinion. He's a valuable utility guy, but should not be looked at as the answer at LG. If they decide to defer picking up a guard until the draft, it better be a 1st or 2nd round pick who can start from day one.

That's what I don't want. I think we really need to use our first two picks on a DE and a TE, or at least an OLB

I like his idea of a permanent farm system for offensive linemen - that you really have enough starters and enough injury risk and enough guys leaving that you need to invest in it every year - at minimum, a 3rd-5th round pick, while grabbing any late-round flyers or top-round 'planet' guys that come your way.

I like his idea of a permanent farm system for offensive linemen - that you really have enough starters and enough injury risk and enough guys leaving that you need to invest in it every year - at minimum, a 3rd-5th round pick, while grabbing any late-round flyers or top-round 'planet' guys that come your way.

Yes if you read through all the stuff on Buffalo Rumblings the Carolina Blogger mentioned that Hangarten would've been the starting center by now...EXCEPT that when Ryan Kahlil fell to them in the 3rd round (a la Trent Edwards) they snatched him up. They even had veteran starter Justin Hartwig at the time but they couldn't pass on a talent like Kahlil.

Anyways, the moral of the story is that you should always take the best athlete available. If it's a toss up as to who's best, then you tie break using need.

Also, O linemen can be developed and should be stockpiled, much as the Bills have done with Chambers and Bell.

Yes if you read through all the stuff on Buffalo Rumblings the Carolina Blogger mentioned that Hangarten would've been the starting center by now...EXCEPT that when Ryan Kahlil fell to them in the 3rd round (a la Trent Edwards) they snatched him up. They even had veteran starter Justin Hartwig at the time but they couldn't pass on a talent like Kahlil.

Anyways, the moral of the story is that you should always take the best athlete available. If it's a toss up as to who's best, then you tie break using need.

Also, O linemen can be developed and should be stockpiled, much as the Bills have done with Chambers and Bell.

Willis McGahee

Willis McGahee

What is your point?

Are you saying that a guy with a major knee reconstruction (3 ligaments) was the best player available?

He wasn't even a need which I advocate using for tie-breaking (because we had Travis Henry).

I don't understand what "Willis McGahee" means. Please explain.

I think what you might have meant is that IF McGahee returned to be the player he was before the terrible injury that he might have been the best player available. That's a big if.

Perhaps I'll rewrite the algorithm to include injuries.

This is the blog that just keeps on giving:

http://www.buffalorumblings.com/

this game is won and lost in the trenches.. SO there should never be a year where we are not bringing in a new OL or DL...

the Bills desperately need ot replace Dockery now... another case of the Bills reacting before they have a plan

This may be unpopular, but...

I actually thought Willis was a good pick. Although with his knee injury I'd agree that he may not have been a steal or maybe even the "best available player", the thought of him platooning with Henry sounded like a pretty good backfield to me. He sure looked worth it after his first season of playing. The situation was mismanaged and we ended up kicking Henry to the curb for practically nothing (as always happens).

They have plenty of cap space to sign a veteran guard who has played the position rather than converting a tackle. The guards have to be able to move out and block lb's against a 3-4. Dockery wasn't good at it and I doubt a tackle is good at it.

I agree, they should always be stockpiling and developing talent on both lines.

this game is won and lost in the trenches.. SO there should never be a year where we are not bringing in a new OL or DL...

the Bills desperately need ot replace Dockery now... another case of the Bills reacting before they have a plan

This may be unpopular, but...

I actually thought Willis was a good pick. Although with his knee injury I'd agree that he may not have been a steal or maybe even the "best available player", the thought of him platooning with Henry sounded like a pretty good backfield to me. He sure looked worth it after his first season of playing. The situation was mismanaged and we ended up kicking Henry to the curb for practically nothing (as always happens).

Total hypothetical but it does make me wonder how much better McGahee might have been if he hadn't been injured. Is he at 92%? 94%? 98?

We'll never know I guess.

If Chambers was such a huge upgrade to Dockery, he'd have started last season.

Disagree.

Before the 2008 season, Dockery hadn't regressed yet. It was the beginning of his 2nd season with the team. In addition the Bills had more money tied up in him then than they did when they released him.

Before the 2008 season, Chambers was a lesser known quantity to the Bills than he is now. He's had another year with the organization to exhibit his character and skills. He's one year further invested in training and development. One more year to prove himself to the organization.

I'm not saying he's a huge upgrade to Dockery. I am saying that one year can make a big difference in the relative value of two players.

I really like the Buffalo Rumblings guy, but I've noticed over the last couple days he thinks a bit too highly of Chambers in my opinion. Chambers is a valuable utility guy, but should not be looked at as the answer at LG. If they decide to defer picking up a guard until the draft, it better be a 1st or 2nd round pick who can start from day one.

If you recall when peters was holding out, they move L walker to LT and Chambers started at RT, he did just fine. As a matter of fact, Walker looked good at LT.```````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````

If you recall when peters was holding out, they move L walker to LT and Chambers started at RT, he did just fine. As a matter of fact, Walker looked good at LT.```````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````

Exactly right. Both of them played well and looked great. Speaking of looking great Stussy, where do I find a copy of your avatar?

What is your point?

Are you saying that a guy with a major knee reconstruction (3 ligaments) was the best player available?

He wasn't even a need which I advocate using for tie-breaking (because we had Travis Henry).

I don't understand what "Willis McGahee" means. Please explain.

I think what you might have meant is that IF McGahee returned to be the player he was before the terrible injury that he might have been the best player available. That's a big if.

Perhaps I'll rewrite the algorithm to include injuries.

It means that Donahoe considered him the best player on the board, and he went for him even though it wasn't a position of need. That way of drafting does not work.

Not with the contract Dockery was carrying...

I didn't say "same". I said "huge upgrade". Of course, they'd play the guy they pay if the two are roughly the same.

To say that it wouldn't happen is basically saying Trent Edwards would never play when JP Losman was on the roster. :unsure: Edwards may or may not be a "huge" upgrade, but he was an upgrade over the klutz.

And if the coach is using contract numbers instead of performance to decide playing time, he's a complete tool and should be fired. :w00t: