Mock update

Update: Mock Draft 2009: Send this to the Bills Personnel Dept.

March 2, 2009

Round

1. B.J.Raji- DT- Boston College

2. Connor Barwin- DE- Cincinnati

3. Brian Robiskie- WR- Ohio State

4. Shawn Nelson – TE- Southern Miss.

5. Louis Vasquez – OG-Texas Tech

6. Antonio Dixon- DT- Miami

7. Eric VandenHeuvel- OT- Wisconsin

F/A sign- Robert Ferguson, wr, L.Coles wr, Tony Scheffler TE.

This would help.

March 2, 2009

Round

This would help.

That's exactly what we need - another under-sized, high-motor speed rusher. NO!

So what do you think about the rest ?

I like the rest. I just really don't like Barwin. He's too much like our current ends and I don't think he translates well to a 4-3 - maybe a 3-4.

Love Raji, Robiskie and Nelson.

March 2, 2009

Round

This would help.

Raji will never get by Green Bay, not with all the D-lineman they have lost.

I like the rest. I just really don't like Barwin. He's too much like our current ends and I don't think he translates well to a 4-3 - maybe a 3-4.

Love Raji, Robiskie and Nelson.

Difference between Barwin & our current ends is that Barwin is a premiere athlete (even though he happens to be white). Look up the combine numbers for Barwin, Denney, and Kelsay, and you'll see that Barwin blows each of them out of the water. I haven't compared Barwin's combine numbers to Schobel, but since Schobel was really good back in the day, I didn't feel like Barwin needed to out-athletic Schobel. In this year's combine, Barwin was first among all D-linemen in 40-yard dash, vertical jump, broad jump (tied), 3-cone drill, and 20-yard shuttle. The only workout he didn't place in the top 10 in was bench press, where he put up a more pedestrian 21 reps. His vertical jump and broad jump were both actually tied for 9th among all participants at the combine. (numbers from nfl.com)

EDIT: Actually, Barwin was 2nd in the 40 among D-linemen, losing by 0.02 to Lawrence Sidbury, Jr.

Other pluses with Barwin -- having spent only 1 year at DE, he has tons of room to grow as a player. He could also serve as a backup TE in a pinch, or be part of one of those tricky Belicheat-esque goal line packages. And, unlike a lot of players who blow up at the combine, he was very productive (granted in a weak conference): 15 TFL, 11 sacks, seven passes broken up and three blocked kicks in 14 games. (numbers from walterfootball.com)

I'd be utterly thrilled with Raji & Barwin as our top 2 picks, but I doubt either one will happen. Especially Raji -- I think it's unlikely he gets past Green Bay at #9, and he could go earlier than that.